1. Home

PATDOUGLAS asks: "Can dogs get poison Ivy?"
There is some very useful information in this thread, both for pets and their human companions.

Share your story: My Pet's Encounter With Poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac

Learn More: Pets and Poison Ivy (Oak and Sumac)

Comments

February 2, 2007 at 12:16 pm
(1) wendy says:

YES!!! My dog was diagnosed and treated for it. It can infect animals if it gets past their fur to their skin. They are usually not infected because it stays on their fur, which sheds out quickly. But, as we’ve seen, it can happen. It took months for it to finally heal completely due to her scratching. The fur never grew back completely right in that area either.

July 22, 2007 at 2:48 pm
(2) Jacque says:

TY wendy for your answer.. I wonder… what would be the best thing to put on my dog’s skin? Think maybe aveeno oatmeal bath would help…

July 26, 2007 at 11:28 pm
(3) Janet says:

What does it look like and how did you diagnose the rash as Poison Ivy? Our beagle has been dragging herself around on the grass for a few days. After looking at her today, she has red rashy bumps all over her underside.

September 4, 2007 at 11:19 pm
(4) Suzanne says:

My dog has stopped eating and I found a hot spot. After searching her better…I found her entire underside is broke out in a rash. Is this poison ivy? I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow.

November 29, 2007 at 5:39 am
(5) Buck says:

My Lab has a bad rash on her sparsely-haired underbelly near rear legs. I caught her rolling in a known patch of poison ivy yesterday and I suspect her rash is poison ivy. I have a little rash on my arm too. I suspect she transferred it to me.

June 12, 2008 at 2:09 pm
(6) tina says:

me and my son have poison ivy and my house is surrounded by it, I’m wondering if the dog gave it to us after he rolled in it.

July 10, 2008 at 5:14 pm
(7) Linda Jones says:

I have poison ivy and I think my dog passed it to us. She is a Jack Russel and had wire hair and is covered in a rash so bad, she scratching herself and biting . Help!!!

September 10, 2008 at 7:55 am
(8) lyn becker says:

My dog is itching so bad and he has little pimple like bumps on his head that he scratches them till they bleed! I put neosporin on them and give him benedryl but doesnt seem to help much!

September 20, 2008 at 10:02 am
(9) Colleen says:

Use “Tecnu” – the Extreme Wash – to clean the dogs fur. This will remove the urishol oil, which is the culprit. Then bathe the dog thoroughly.

May 3, 2009 at 11:52 am
(10) buffy says:

my husband has poison ivy and the dog wants to lick it all the time this cant b good……right??

May 6, 2009 at 7:09 am
(11) Eve says:

Never put a lotion or cream on your dog for poison ivy, oak, or sumac. The object is to dry the affected area out not keep it moisturized. Rinse them first, then wash them down with an oatmeal soap. Dry them off and apply calamine lotion liberally to the affected areas. The treatment is the same for dogs as people. You can give your dog an antihistamine but consult a vet before doing so to get the correct dosage.

June 5, 2009 at 1:18 am
(12) sunny says:

my husband was out planting flowers and i noticed it was a poison ivy plant where he was digging, i informed him of what it was and he argued that it wasn’t poison ivy. Now 3days later he has a rash all over his arms and legs..lol..MEN LISTEN TO YOUR WIVES!!!

June 11, 2009 at 1:44 pm
(13) Courtney says:

I have a golden retriever whose butt is quite red. He keeps chewing at it. I just found poison ivy in my dog pen and it appears that he has deficated on the plant. Any suggestions as to how I can assist my poor dogs itching rear?

June 17, 2009 at 6:56 pm
(14) Monica says:

I think my dog has poison ivy on her ears, at the end of them, underside. Not sure what to do.

July 25, 2009 at 11:59 pm
(15) coco says:

My dog is quite red on the belly area and has been for awhile. We do have some poison ivy in the area he “goes potty” in that i think he got into. I’m not really sure what to do but I am almost positive he gave it to my dad and sister…What to do??? How do I help my poor dog and any advice as to getting rid of the poison ivy???!!!

August 15, 2009 at 9:46 am
(16) mountainmomma says:

DO NOT put tecnu or other items for cleaning material on your animal or person.

A very expensive but good scrub is Zanfel which is designed for the skin. Also, Marie’s Poisin Sumac Soap (which is used best as a preventitve can also be used to remove oils and help with itching).

You should always consult a doctor or a vet before beginning any treatment plan. Some will actually require steroids to suppress the immune system if the poisin ivy is very bad.

September 6, 2009 at 11:59 am
(17) mark says:

mountainmomma explain why not use tecnu ,thats what it is for its the best:

http://www.tecnuextreme.com/

September 8, 2009 at 5:04 pm
(18) bumblebee says:

I think mtnmomma is confused with TechWick, used for cleaning waterproof outerwear. TECNU is specifically used for cleansing poison ivy/sumac irritated skin…..

September 13, 2009 at 8:25 pm
(19) Telka says:

My beagle loves bunny hopping through tall grass and now has what I believe is poison ivy on her belly. I went and got that Zanfel and ya it is expensive but it seems to be working. I washed the area…scrubbed it with Zanfel, dried her, and applied some calamine lotion. Ill post again in a few days and report in on the progress.

September 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm
(20) Nikki says:

So… I have poison ivy and my dog licked where I have poison ivy. I’m thinking that might be bad?

October 30, 2009 at 7:30 pm
(21) marie says:

I’m pretty sure my maltese has poison ivy since I have it on my arms. We were all working in the woods. I’ve found that giving an oatmeal bath and then using the hydrocortisone spray for dogs works really well. Got it at Petsmart.

November 10, 2009 at 2:05 pm
(22) Jen Johnson says:

My dog Brody is a jerk. He gave me poison ivy and now I have to wear gloves at work.

May 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm
(23) Kathy says:

My dog has poison ivy and has gotten it in his eyes. Is there a home remedy I can give him to help him get rid of it?

June 1, 2010 at 12:23 pm
(24) countrygurl says:

I have a chihuaha and she went fishing with us the other day, we apparently went through a patch of poison ivy. I have it all over my arms and legs any suggestions for the dog because she now has little red bumps all over her and is digging and biting herself.

August 12, 2010 at 3:48 pm
(25) Erica says:

My dog has a horrible swollen patch on his nose and it has since blistered and is oozy and bloody (after he scratched it one night). I took him to the vet but since I am in San Diego, they are not very familiar with poison ivy and said that dogs can’t get it. But we just got back from the mid-west, so i’m thinking he must have stuck his nose in a poison ivy/oak patch. Even though the vet had never seen this, I knew it had to be an allergic reaction and must have been contributed to poison ivy or something like that, so we were given antibiotics by the vet and told the amount of benadryl to give him. The benadryl helps a lot with his itching and discomfort and i also have an e-collar on him so he can not scratch the area. It’s been a week and it looks even worse because of the oozing. :( after reading this I think i will try an oatmeal bath and keep him on the antibiotis and benadryl and keep the e-collar on him till it heals .

Leave a Comment


Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.