1. Home
Janet Tobiassen Crosby, DVM

Cluster Seizures in a German Shepherd

By March 8, 2005

From the VetMed Forum Archives:

DANDIRT asks: "I have a German Shepherd dog, four years old, that began having seizures for no apparent reason. She has cluster seizures, three to eight with each lasting only a few minutes. The dog has been seen by several vets; her blood, liver, and other vitals checked out okay. Due to the number of seizures, she was started on phenobarbital. One year later, the dog still has massive seizures. It is a sad but very frustrating situation to cope with. The vet physicals all checked out fine and no problems were indicated but the dog continues to have seizures. Has anyone else experienced this type of situation?"

For more information about seizures in general, please see the Seizures in Pets page

Readers Respond: Living with a dog or cat who has seizures

Twitter | Facebook | Free newsletter

Comments

May 18, 2006 at 4:43 pm
(1) cheryl says:

my dog stella had her first seizure at 4 yrs old..she just had another 2 today.a strom front is moving in so the vet says that could trigger them.she is also a german shepard..yes it is heartbreaking..she is on phenobarb and i give her 20mg of valium after the seizure..also give her nature remedy drops..it is so sad..hang in there

November 8, 2006 at 8:03 am
(2) tina powley says:

hi cheryl,

I used to be an owner of two beautiful long haired german shepherd dogs, one male and one female. i actually bought them from a private house after being advertised in my local paper they where both kennel club registered, and had all their papers. we bought max the youngest as a puppy and later gained peppa as the owners had used her for breeding and sad to say didnt want her anymore. max was 8 weeks when we bought him, and peppa his mum was 3. we had a great time getting to know these beautiful gentle dogs, until one night as me and my ex partner slept it was the early hours of the night, and i heard such a terrific bang! i raced down stairs to see peppa having a seizure, it lasted only a minute or so but afterwards she was falling banging into units etc, we took her to the vets and he said it was epilepsy. did blood tests and nothing really untoward was found. on bringing her home the next night she had another seiaure lasted 1 minute or so then another and another, we took her back to the vets and then he put her on phenabarbitone tablets, the seizures continued but not as often then 2 years later she had another seizure which bless her she didnt come out of, the vet was called in and told us she had brain damage. the fitting never stopped even with an injection, so we had to kindly have her put to sleep. then 2 years after peppa max our other dog (HER SON) started exactly the same, the vet said it was passed through the blood lines and is very common in german shepherd dogs i dont know how max is now because shortly after this i and my boyfriend parted and max was his dog, but i miss peppa so much she was an absolute credit to me and will always be sadly missed. epilepsy is a horrible thing to see in dogs and it upset me alot.

miss tina powley
tinapowley@hotmail.com

January 14, 2008 at 5:54 pm
(3) Mike McVeigh says:

I have a German Shepard that is going to be 4 years old and I am going through this same thing now. My dog is at the University of Pennsylvania Animal Hospital which is supposed to be world renowned and they have nothing. It has been looked at as Rocky Mountain Tick Disease, Epilepsy, food posioning, and after 10,000 in bills, MRI’s ,Ultra Sounds, we still dont know.

February 18, 2008 at 10:49 pm
(4) Michele Yakym says:

I have a 4 year old long haired german shepard she has been having seizures for 2 years now it is being controlled with phenobarb 1 grain 2 times a day. a few days before christmas she started having seizures and after several diazapam she was still having them she stayed at the emergency vets for 4 days and every time they brought her out of sedation she would start to have seizures finally they decided to bring her out of the sedation over a 24 hour period instead of just stopping sedation medicine this is the only thing that worked she stopped having seizures and we were able to bring her home the next day and she couldn’t walk she didn’t walk for a week and the dr said she might never walk but on christmas eve I turned around and she was all over the house it has taken a month but she is COMPLETELY back to normal and she isn’t having seizures she is on 1 1/2 grain of phenobarb morning and night and she also is on compounded Potassium Bromide 2ml also morning and night we had her blood work done yesterday and her levels are completely normal so we will keep doing what we are doing and hope that this doesn’t happen again we also have diazapam on hand to give her immediately if she starts to have seizures. I hope this information has helped and I wish you all the luck with your animal!

February 20, 2008 at 8:36 pm
(5) Jennifer says:

My baby Nate just turned 1 on January 7th. just before his Bday; he started hopping while outside & then he would have these episodes where he would lay on his side & all his legs would shake lasting about 45 seconds – sometimes his peepee would be stuck out. He is my first boy Shepherd so I was really freaked out. After numerous vet visits he was on antibiotics for a urinary infection & after Xrays; we found out he has hip dysplasia. The ortho has him on supplements & he has been doing fantastic but he hopped up on the bed this morning & he just layed down & started shaking all his legs – it lasted for about 30 seconds (no peepee sticking out)and then he was fine – does this sound like a seizure? I’ve spent so much time with him & he’s turning out to be a really great boy – it breaks my heart. PS I bought him from a puppy store – I now know better…….

March 26, 2008 at 2:03 pm
(6) Sandy says:

My male GS will be 3 in May of this year. Over the last 2 months, I’ve noticed when he lays down, he sometimes takes his paws and covers his nose and eyes and rolls on his back. His back leg starts jerking and his eyes are fixed in a blank stare with his paws “frozen” over his face. I’m concerned because these episodes are lasting longer and are more often. I have to get on the floor and force him to come out of it by removing his paws from his face, holding his head and yelling to get his attention. After he comes out of it, he sneezes several times and then it’s over. Any ideas? This is my first dog. At last check up, the Vet said he was very health! Thank you.

June 6, 2008 at 2:52 pm
(7) Tracy says:

My German Shepard Max is 6 1/2 years old. We have had him since he was 3 months old. He had his first seizure in 2006 and didn’t have another one until mid-April. The actual seizure lasted only a couple of minutes, but what was frightened was when he came out of it he had no idea who we were or where he was for over 2 hours. He just growed and barked at us. The vet told us that can be normal for the brain to take that long to relax and get back to normal. He had another one a couple of nights ago, that thankfully only took 15 minutes for him to fully become aware of his surroundings. They took his blood and told me today that one of his liver enzymes is high and we should now put him milk thistle or denosyl as well as the phenobarbital we started him on.

June 9, 2008 at 5:13 pm
(8) cheryl says:

Yes my gal stella is still having these seizures as i wrote in 2006. we have been at it for 3 wks or so. she is doing some funky thing with her mouth and wham a grand mal or sometimes she yawns and it is over..been on the meds, any feed back here

July 7, 2008 at 3:16 am
(9) joe says:

My 4 year old longhair germain shepard just had a seizure but it only lasted a couple of minutes. I rushed her to the vet but she fully and i mean fully recovered by the time i got there. Im a little worried after hearing your stories but hopefully the vet can sort this all out. Is there any signs that people see right before the seizures that i should look out for.

November 16, 2008 at 3:05 pm
(10) Erin says:

I just had to put my GS/Huskey cross dog down. He started having seizures last November and was controlled at first with just 20 mg of phenobarb. His seizures got worse and he was up to 120 mg of phenobarb a day and they still were not under control. As he had more seizures, he was getting more brain damage. I had no choice but to put him down. It was so hard to see him go through these seizures and to see his personality changing and to see him slowly lose control of his brain.

December 12, 2008 at 2:40 pm
(11) kmmkm says:

my dog is 2 yrs old and i juss had to put her to sleep yesterday. its sad but she doesnt have to suffer any more

December 12, 2008 at 3:57 pm
(12) kmmkm says:

she would start off by licking her lips and then she would start flinching alot after that she would start foamig at the mouth. wen she snapped out of it, it was like she couldnt see wat she was doing , she would walk around crashing into things she would wimper alot and the medicine didnt do anythin for her. the Vet said soon her body would get used to the medicine and it wouldnt do anythin .. the potassium bromide was to expensive , and on top of the Phenobarbital.

December 23, 2008 at 11:40 am
(13) Adam says:

I just had my beautiful 2 year old shepherd bitch, Zara put to sleep today. It all started around 3 weeks ago when I noticed she was dribbling no-stop, but I though she had eaten some fungus/mushrooms in the garden. Sunday just gone it started again until last night she had a seizure, sadly her brain never recoverd and she just had one after a another. This is appaling and I hope I never experience this again.

March 20, 2009 at 5:07 am
(14) shaun philpott says:

hi, i have a male GSD, two nites ago i was sitting in the dinning room and “chaz” (the dog) was in the lounge, all of a sudden i heard a huge crash i rush in and he was rolling around on the floor knocked the tv off the stand his fronts legs where streched out in front of him and very stiff, and it was as if he back legs were not working, it was horrible, so i put a cussion under his head as he was right next to a radiator, i phoned the emergency vet, whilst i was on the phone it all stopped and he got up and walked to his food bowl, the vet said if it happened again i should take him straight in, well all nite i was awake listening, 11am the next morning it happened again, the exact same symptoms, only tjis time he was trying to stand up, so i rushed him straight to the vets, she done blood test and checked his back legs to rule out dislocation, everything was fine, bloods where normal, she gave me rectal diazapam and told me if it happens again to administer it and that he would have to see a nuerologist, well thankfully last night nothing happened after another sleepless night paniking i wont hear him, has anyone experianced this sort of seizure before?

April 11, 2009 at 11:44 am
(15) Erica says:

Hi,
I also have a german shepard named sonny and he has been having clusters too, actually he just had a cluster last night 4/11. the only ting u can do is stay calm because if u dont the dog will freak out too. if u ever notice that ur dog is going to seizure always have two towels ready one for his mouth and one for beteween his legs because dogs tend to loose control of themselves. Alos u know when dogs have seizures they tend to stiffen up right? well when he is done with the seizure try to rub on the legs of the dog because it will help his muscles relax. i am very sorry and i know how hard it is to watch ur dog go through that but the main thing is u must stay calm if u have any questions please dont be afraid to e-mail me.

April 21, 2009 at 10:26 am
(16) judy says:

Max turned 10 in December. He’s been so healthy up til this point with only minor problems lately such as not wanting to climb the back stairs to come in from outside. He had his first seizure (that I know of) last night. I used to have a Sheltie who seized so I was familiar with it. It only lasted a minute but he was very disoriented for about an hour afterward. I watched him for a while and then went to bed. A few hours after the first one, he had another seizure. All I can do is hold his head and talk calmly to him. I will, if it happens again, remember to massage his legs afterward, as someone suggested in another post. Reading the previous posts makes me think a vet visit would be an expensive and fruitless venture. Doesn’t soung like meds do much good. I am pretty worried about leaving him alone now, but what else can I do?

May 30, 2009 at 7:26 pm
(17) tracy says:

Hi
Have any of you used diamond naturals? i have been using it for about a month or so and one my GSD’s had 2 seizure’s. he is only 6 months old and had never had a problem before that. thanks

June 3, 2009 at 8:52 pm
(18) Christina says:

Thank goodness I found this site. My 2 year old pure bread GS just had her 2nd seizure about an hour ago. She had her first 4 days after being spayed (about 3 weeks ago.) Like mentioned in your comments above, she was completely recoverd before we could get her to the vet and he found nothing wrong with her. After reading what all of you have been through, I do feel a little relief knowing medication may help. I will call my vet in the morning. My prayers to all.

June 16, 2009 at 2:49 am
(19) Cynthia says:

I wonder if there is a connection between being 4 years old and getting seizures. I noticed that several people have dogs that started seizures when they were four. Well my 4 year old male german shepherd just had his first seizure (that I know of) last night…Are there any natural remedies that I can give him? Any supplements or vitamins that will help prevent the seizures? He is my first German Shepherd and would be absolutely devistated if I ever lost him…

June 17, 2009 at 6:07 pm
(20) Joy says:

I had a pure bred gsd that lived 11 years. I had just recently (within 1yr) put him to sleep due to horrific seizures. He started this as a 1yo puppy, and conitued to have them for just a few years here and there. The seizures more or less stopped untill he was about 10yo; when he started experiencing them again, they would last only a few minutes but it was too much to watch the old fellow go through with. The episodes would gradually increase in effect, resulting in exhaustion, disorientation, and a similar chronic fatigue (such as in humans). When he would try to stand it would appear to the average eye as if he had expeirienced a mini-stroke, and would need help to walk. The doctors could never pinpoint what exactly triggered this problem, and said it could have been an oncoming storm, loud noise(yelling, music, even a vacume cleaner ect.) These times were extremely difficult to deal with. The worst experience i’ve ever encountered was the last night of his life. He was getting them every 4 hours, then every 2 hours,… eventually into one steady hour long seizure. That was too much for him too go through and sadly, we knew right then it was his time to go. Being that we were at his side the whole night through, come daylight, we had to put him down. I hope that this information is atleast somewhat helpful and that some day there will be a simple cure to these nightmares.

July 10, 2009 at 1:01 pm
(21) L. D. says:

My 6 year old male German Shepherd, Ozzy, has been having seizures for about 3 years now. After the first one I brought him to the vet. She wanted to put him on medication that might not even stop them. I said “no” to that. After Ozzy has a seizure I give him a cup of milk mixed with a cup of sugar. The two together seem to bring him back to “normal” much faster than the time that it was taking prior to ever giving him that.
It is just awful watching the dog that you love loose it. Any other natural remedies out there that seem to be working? Thanks.

July 26, 2009 at 11:51 pm
(22) Emily says:

I have 2 gs. One 7 and the other one 6. The 6 year old is the only one that has had seizures which started a few weeks ago. I woke up to my bed shaking violently and it was my dog having a seizure. He was foaming from the mouth with a little blood from biting his tongue. It was only a few minutes but when he came to he didn’t know who I was and started to growl with his hair up, a scary thing from a gs you love. He’s had abt 4 in the past 2 days, 2 weeks after the first one. The vet only said that they can’t do anything unless he gets there during the attack…help

August 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm
(23) Jeanie says:

My 3 year old female GSD Lexie just had her third seizure in a month’s time. Each one seeming worse than the one before. There is nothing I can see that is triggering them (each one has happened in an air conditioned room after she’s been napping) You can almose sense when one is getting ready to happen as she gets very nervous. I previously had a male GSD, Max, who also had seizures but not as frequent (the two dogs are not related). I am scared and not sure what to do after reading all of these posts. Help!!!

August 18, 2009 at 12:18 pm
(24) Carole says:

My second German Shepherd had unexplained grand-mal seizures beginning about age 5. After succesful treatment for two years with Phenobarbitol, he suddenly had a series of seizures lasting a full day. We brought him to the vet first thing the next morning, and were going to have him put to sleep. The vet suggested adding Potassium Bromide solution, in addition to the Phenobarb. We had another healthy two and a half years with Jett, and were able to wean him off 3/4 of the Phenobarb thanks to the Potassium Bromide. Our local compounding pharmacy even flavored the RX (he preferred Tutti-Frutti flavor over beef/liver!) I am sure that many breeders are either unaware or unwilling to admit that some of their dogs’ offspring have had seizure problems (which would lower their ability to charge so much for their dogs $$$$?), but it is heartbreaking when it is your dog and you have to deal with the aftermath on a daily basis.

September 4, 2009 at 6:24 pm
(25) Harriet Gair says:

I have a cat 1 l/4 years old, who has seizures regularly since I got him as a kitten. He is on Phenobarb. twice daily. Blood work to date is Ok. Siblings (females, 3 are OK). Other male in litter has seizures on Phenobarb. and Compounded Potassium. What does the Compounded Potassium do. My vet prefers not to use it.

September 9, 2009 at 11:08 am
(26) Katelyn says:

My three year old German Shpherd, Chloe started having seizures as well. The first time my daughter had no Idea what was happening. After I saw it we had gotten my dog on some Phenobarb. and she went to go to the bathroom outside, and ran away. We looked for countless hours, and called everyone!!! The Police Dept. radio station, and humane society. We found her two days later. She was hit by a car, and had broken her Pelvis bone. When we found her, (a half a mile away from home) She was in totall shock!!! Yet, the seizures have affected her hearing…So sad and heart breaking. She has had a few Seizures here and there, clusters, but now the midicine is kicking in, and she’s slowly, gettting back to herself.

January 10, 2010 at 4:05 pm
(27) darla says:

Our German Shepard had her first seizure this morning, he’s over 4 years old, and I’m worried
he will have more. I’m scared he’s going to be alone when it happends, has anyone known their dog was alone when it may have happened? I’m worried he might bite his tounge off cause the last time his mouth was locked and it looked close. this is heartbreaking for all of us knowing its somewhat common.

February 7, 2010 at 8:35 pm
(28) Chris says:

My german shepherd/lab will be 3 in April and had her 2nd seizure in a year’s time. They only last 5-10 minutes and are mild, but it is terrifying, especially when you don’t know what’s happening. I will call the vet but don’t want to start her on med unless and God forbid they become more severe and happen more often. I just lay by her and try to calm her down when it happened, but I’m a wreck afterwards.

April 23, 2010 at 9:18 am
(29) Cass says:

My German shepherd started having seizures when he was almost 2 years old. We took him to the vets right away. They put him on Phenobarbital first. He had another seizure. They then increased the dosage of the phenobarbital. He still had them. Then they decided to combine pheonobarbital and potassium bromide. It completely stopped his seizures for over a year. Then recently we had to move and he had to fly on a plane and what not. Well he had a seizure for the first time in a long time. We believe that it was from stress. We took him to the vets and they left the phenobarbital the same and increased the potassium bromide. He has not had a seizure since. Hopefully it will stop them for a while. We are going to keep him and allow him to live as long of a healthy life as his body will let him.

May 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm
(30) GSDGenetics says:

I study pedigrees, bloodlines & genetics of German Shepherd Dogs and it would be helpful if those who have pedigrees or at least their dogs parents registered names, would email copies of these and brief details about their dog, symptoms, age seizures were first seen & age the dog died or was put down. Knowing the sources of GSD epilepsy can help breeders work to avoid producing the problem. In GSDs epilepsy is usually hereditary although any dog can have seizures for other reason too, such as after suffering a head injury or from the effect of certain poisons.
Email info to GSDGenetics@gmail.com. Also I’m always researching bloodlines of dogs with hemoophilia A, dogs with megaesophagus, delayed development (a problem that appears to be common but that most people are unaware of, delayed development pups may be mistaken for dwarfs), and other problems, in addition to my primary interest which is coat & color genetics of the GSD breed.

May 6, 2010 at 10:17 am
(31) jeff says:

Hi there i have been reading the posts, and had somewhat the same thing happen to me .My shepard was 2 and was an awesome dog.Dixie was her name.She had taken 3 seizures prior tto the day it all happened. My wife got home and seen her in the kennel having a seizure.She called me immediately, I came home and their she was in the middle of having a seizure. It lasted about a half an hour, going in an out of them, She passed so suddenly just like that in her kennel.I MISS HER SO ,MUCH.

May 13, 2010 at 11:01 pm
(32) VL says:

I hope that our situation is different than many of the others I have been reading here. Our beloved GSD, female, was just turned 6 yrs when she had her first cluster of seizures. She was very ill a couple of days beforehand, and we don’t know exactly what happened to her. It appears that she suffered some sort of head trauma, though we cannot figure out how. She is an inside girl and never outside alone, so no getting hit by a car or anything like that. Even looked for spider bites or snake bite marks… nothing. After her first seizures (that we were aware of) she couldn’t even sit up. Then over a few days with constant care from us, she began to regain her ability to walk.. just looked like a drunk sailer and very slow. But appeared blind in one eye. Then she relapsed and began with the cluster seizures again. Took her to a 2nd vet for another opinion fearing we’d have to euthanize. They kept her in-patient over the weekend and gave her diazapam for 2 days as she had more seizures while there. Then, after adding prednisone, some anti-biotics, and some thyroid meds (her thyroid was now reading low) she began to recover again… only this time she was clear eyed and not “foggy” We brought her home the following Monday. It has been 2 weeks and we are weaning off of some meds, but continuing with Phenobarbital… Her swelling of her head/eye area is gone. She is playing normally, jumping to catch her fav toy (frisbee) and running full speed. No problems. But now I am really scared that she might relapse into cluster seizures again. Anyone have experience with seizures brought on by trauma and not epileptic?

May 21, 2010 at 9:57 am
(33) Jill says:

My 5 year old female gsd starting having severe grand mal seizures yesterday lasting about 2-3 minutes and came in clusters. We took her to the vet where she ended up having 2 more. Her blood work was normal. She would walk around “drunk” after the first 4 then she stopped and just layed there until the next 2 hit. The vet took her in the back and gave her meds and fluids,he then requested us to take her to an emergency clinic.They still had no answers but told me this is only the begining of the problem..As hours and hours passed we regretably decided to put her down..I am absolutly heart broken and miss my Delmira VERY much. I have no idea what happened or why, but it came on hard and fast and now shes gone.

May 24, 2010 at 1:16 am
(34) sammi says:

We have a German Shepard that is 3 1/2 and has been having seizures for almost 2yrs. I have noticed that they come on when he has overly excerted himself. or if it is too hot out (peak summer). They last for 5 min or more and he has them every 6 mo or so. It is very sad to see, but we haven’t put him on any meds yet.

July 2, 2010 at 9:48 am
(35) Diann says:

I have a Female GSD who is related to my brothers dog who was having seizures. His dog was 5 y/o she started having seizures 6 months ago. Yesterday she had three in one day he took her to the vet. The vet told him they could start a IV and keep her and watch her it would cost 800.00. Her blood work showed her spleen was abnormal. The vet said they could start her on meds but couldnt guarantee nothing. As they were discussing this Josie ( the dog) started to have a Grand Mal seizures. It was so bad the medication they gave her wouldnt stop the seizure. It was so sad he had to put her down. His other GSD is her sister and my dog’s Mom. Im very concerned because Im worried it might run in the bloodlines….Does anyone know how I would find out??If my dog is in danger of having these health problems. My dog is two years old and I have noticed the three year old make seems to be the year for the start of these seizures.

July 11, 2010 at 7:03 pm
(36) Jim says:

My Minka (full-blood German Shepard) is nearly 10 months old. Three months ago, we had an episode (frothing at the mouth, throwing up, etc) mild before & severe after we had her fixed. The vet thought we were going to lose her. She pulled thru and returned home after 2.5 days at the vet. The vet had no diagnosis — thought she may have been poisoned, but that was just his hunch. Last weekend, she had a seizure, the first that we’ve been aware of. We had company, it was a hot day and Minka had been running around (quite normal for her) chasing birds from the yard for about 2 hours. We looked up and there she was – laying on her side, all 4 legs out stiff and shaking, her head up and over her back as if to reach the base of her tail. I yelled her name and she started trying to get up. She was very shaky on her feet and she seemed disoriented but she did respond to my verbal commands. I penned her up and watched her closely. Nothing more…until today. I let her out of her pen this morning as I do every morning. She galloped around as normal, but she kept going into the neighbors yard, which is a no-no for her. After the 3rd time, I verbally scolded her again and sent her to her pen with a smack on her rear from my open hand. She knew I was upset and she jumped into her doghouse almost as if to hide from me. Over the next 30 minutes, I observed her resting quietly in the shade and was about to go turn her loose again when I looked out and saw her in a seizure – same actions as last weekend. I immediately yelled her name and ran for her pen – she did not respond. I yelled again as I ran and I could see she was trying to stand up. She got to her feet and fell over the other direction and started into another one. I knelt and gently talked to her, saying her name over and over and telling her how much I loved her. She again got to her feet and staggered as if drunk — very disoriented and scared. She stumbled over her metal food bowl and it made a noise – she jumped and looked behind her for an attacker. She paced and continued to stumble for several minutes, all the while I talked to her. I then opened her pen and called her to me. She came to me and lay her head on my lap. She was a mess – her shoulders were soaking wet from her frothing. I had her follow me to a cool and shady place (my garage) and had her lay while I tried to work. I tried to be calm and thus help her to calm down. She has been fine for the rest of the day. I intend to call the vet tomorrow (it’s Sunday now), but based on this blog, I do not anticipate much help from them.

July 16, 2010 at 8:43 am
(37) Alesia says:

HI!
I have an 9 year old female GS. Last night she was laying in her spot on the couch, and I was sitting in my chair. I heard something, and I look over and her back legs were kicking, and I was calling her name and she wouldn’t respond. I went over and sat next to her and her eyes were rolled back. I’m trying to figure out if this was a seizue or not. She has never fallen over, or has a blank stare. Her back is fusing together and she does have the good ole hip dysplasia.
How can I tell if she’s having them or not?
Thanks!

July 22, 2010 at 11:41 pm
(38) Paul says:

I Had A German Shepard That Was Having Seizures When She Was A Puppy. After Lots Of Money On Liver Function Test,ETC I Realized That It Was The Food I Was Feeding Her.I Was Feeding Her Eukanuba Which I Always Fed My Male.I Changed Over To Purina Puppy Chow And She Had No More Seizures.No More Phenabarbatol.She Must Have Had An Allergic Reaction To The Food.The Vet Had Said Well It Must Be Epilepsy.Im Glad I Thought To Try A Different Food

August 2, 2010 at 11:40 pm
(39) Karin says:

We just lost our 9 yr old male german shepherd the other day due to seizures. He was perfectly fine never had a seizure in his 9 yrs and then suddenly he woke up from a nap having a seizure. I took him to the vet and they did blood work and everything came back fine. While we were waiting on the test he started barking and going crazy in the room and this was another type of seizure he was having. He just kept having them one after another and later died that night. It is very heartbreaking but it’s so bothersome not knowing what caused this to happen. We can’t think of anything he had gotten into. The doctor said it could’ve been brain tumor or cancer.

August 4, 2010 at 8:44 am
(40) Jason says:

I have a 4 year old male GSD named Aiko as well as a male Walker Hound and a female Boxer. At about 4am today my hound jumped out of bed and went to Aiko. I then though they were staring to fight so I got out of bed to stop it. When I turned on the light I couldn’t believe my eyes…..my shepherd was violently shaking and foaming at the mouth. When he finally stopped shaking he tried to stand up, but his front legs locked up and he had no strength in his hind legs. When I looked in his eyes he appeared as if he was in outer space. He had no clue where he was. My wife then tried to comfort him and he began growling and barking at her. I tried to step in and he actually came at me. Thankfully my two other dogs stepped in the way and he backed off. Mind you he has never done anything like that before. He has a loud bark but is a big teddy bear. After about 10 minutes he went back to normal. The ER Vet said they couldn’t give him anything without actually seeing him have a seizure in person. Hopefully my regular vet can do something. He is there now and I’m waiting to hear what they have to say. Good luck to all of you! It is just scary that so many people have posted things on here about their “4 year old GSD”.

October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm
(41) Krystyne says:

My GSD is 2 1/2 yrs old and had some sort of seizure a few weeks ago. She appeared drunk for about 5 min. I rushed her to the vet because although she was coherent I knew some had gone wrong. He doubted a seizure and I insisted on blood work. It came back that she had a seizure but also showed a parasitic level.
Vet checked her for parasites like HW but nothing. She seems to have weakness in her back leg now so I am going to do further investigating.
She is a Czech import from OKC. her 3rd gen sire was Car Policia. Solid black, spayed female long coat. I saw somewhere we should be listing our dogs bloodlines.

October 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm
(42) Dawn says:

We have an 11 yo GSD/wolf mix that has always been the picture of health. This past Monday Mishka went for her usual walk of 4 miles. Tuesday morning she had her first seizure, we immediately took her to the vet. She is on Pheno right now, just had another seizure (this is friday night) lots of whining, whimpering and physical dis-coordination.
I was just told of a study that shows that the ivectin in Heartguard can be dangerous to herding dogs. Mishka has been on Heartguard since we rescued her at the age of 2 years. We are hopeful that discontinuing the HG and a mix of Pheno and Potassium will bring her back to normal. I am heart broken to see so many GSD’s so young having this abnormality.

December 1, 2010 at 12:25 am
(43) Sherri says:

I have a black GS who will be 5 in april of 11, I just cant understand why they have seziures. Blaze has had 2 in the past yr and 1 tonight that was for aleast 7-10min., is this normal; I see that most of them start in around the pup stage or 4yrs old. What does phenobrb., do? and where do you get the potassium? Did that work? Can they die from this? Just was crazy to see him like that. No control of anything. He was so scared just looking at us.
OMG that was so dang sad.. What is HG? I dont want to loose my family child/pet. He is such a big part of our family…..Does this happen in all dog breeds?

Thanks for any help?

December 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm
(44) Gary says:

I have had my GSD 1 yr this moth. He is only 14 months old. He has changed my life. He has been having seizures about a month now. I brought him for blood testing last week, every thing checked fine. He has had a total of 6-8 in that time. This morning I woke to him seizing and it was clusters. After about 4 hours of this on and off, He stopped breathing and died! I lost my best friend today and am crushed. I just wish I knew why! Has any one had this happen? Thanks

January 20, 2011 at 5:09 pm
(45) Andrew says:

My 11 year old GS, Nuke is at the emergency vet rigth now bc he as been in an epileptic state for the past 24 hours, with a seizure occuring about every 2 hours. He probably had his first seizure when he was 5 or 6 with about one occuring per year. We never put him on the medicene because the seizures didn’t occur frequent enough, nor did they seem to have any adverse effects on his long-term health. Today, the vet didn’t seem too positive that he would snap out of the condition he is currently in, but explained that, ‘they would do everything they could, short of waving a magical wand,’ (jerk). I’ve been waiting by the phone all day. I really hope he makes it out of this. He is my absolute best friend. We grew up together and still do everything together. I was right there when his mother gave birth to him (he was the only boy, and I wanted a boy so bad). He has always been there for me. Nuke has taught me how to truely appreciate the outside world. I’m going to college so I can become an Earth-Science teacher so I can share my passion with others. He has taught me that undieing love and trust really can last a lifetime. I will miss him terribly. Hang in there, Nuke..

January 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm
(46) Marta says:

My in laws had a German Shepard and he was 3 years old. He had his first seizre a month ago right before Christmas. The vet put him on medication. This past Friday he had his second seizure and went totally crazy. Running around, bouncing off walls, attacked my father in law twice. When my in laws contacted the vet he said they would need to put him down because his second seizure lasted for more then 5 min and he attacked my father in law. Them loosing the dog was devastating. He was there everything.

January 29, 2011 at 6:04 pm
(47) Andrew says:

Well, I just wanted to give an update. Perhaps, it may help someone struggling with the same situation one day. It has been about a week and a half since Nuke got back from the vet. The put him on 97mg of Pheno twice daily. He hasn’t had a seizure since, but also hasn’t been able to walk or even behave cognitively whatsoever. That is, until last night. We had a family discussion about whether or not we should put him down because it was too painful to see him suffering the way he was, and it was like he heard us talking. We turned around and there he was, standing. Today, he has even been outside walking around in the snow. He still is very wobbley and slumps downward often, but he gives it everything he has got for an old man. I’m hoping that tomorrow will be even more of an improvement in his muscle memory. I can’t believe we thought he was paralyzed less than a day ago. Fingers crossed..
Marta, I’m sorry to hear about your in laws loseing their Shepard. Nuke has had seizure fits that lasted well over 5 minutes before we were able to get him on the medicene. He was never really that agressve when he snapped out of it, just really confused.

April 18, 2011 at 2:31 am
(48) Emma says:

my lovely god Harvey is a g s cross hunterway and suffering from fits and has been since we got him two years ago. it breaks my heart. he was only having them every now and then, maybe every 3-6 months and now he has had 3 in the last 1.5 months. I really dont know what to do. anyone got any ideas. and yes ive been to a vet and they said they couldnt do a lot for him but bloods and they may not come back with anything conclusive

April 18, 2011 at 2:34 am
(49) Emma says:

also he is around 6 years old now maybe 7

April 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm
(50) Amy says:

Bizarre coincidence—> 4 yr old GSD male here too. Behr just began what we think are seizures. But today certainly looked like a seizure.

Behr has been on 100mg of pheno 2x a day for a month. We have seen no improvement, only more occurrences of episodes.

He will stand and stare at a wall, and is unresponsive until I force him to lay down. Until today I thought something else was going on, but today’s episode looks like a seizure. I just want my loyal, best listener, smartest dog back.

Check my blog if you have time.

April 20, 2011 at 6:30 pm
(51) Amy says:

I thought it would pop up!
If it’s not the most recent post, it’s all filed under “Behr”

April 23, 2011 at 5:39 pm
(52) mike says:

My germen shepard had his first seizure when he was 4 years old. When he woke he did not know who, what , where he was, He was barking at me and was scary. We rushed him to the vet and he said it could just be a one time thing are it could happen again. A year went by intill he had his 2nd seizure and he had a cluster of them over and over we rushed him to the vet and he put him on meds to stop the seizures but he never walked right again lost the use of one of his back legs. He lived a happy life for a couple more years took another seizure and could not walk more then a couple steps and i had to put him down was the hardest most depressing thing i ever had to do and to this day i don’t know why they really happend. I miss him .

July 9, 2011 at 6:01 am
(53) Judy C says:

I have a White Male Pure Bred German Shepherd He Will Soon be 5 Yrs Old. He Started Have Seizures about a yr old while i was taking care of my brother who had brain cancer, Hanni Just Had His 4th Seizure at 4:15 this morning he woke me up with his falling down. Ive Seen This In Other Breeds Mostly in the Summer.He Is a Very Hyper High Energy Dog, Chases Birds, Or Anything That Comes In The Yard. He Plays Frizz-be, Ball, And Jumps a Good 6 Ft in The Air. . You Have To Keep Them Very Calm. and in one spot. I found out Yrs Ago What Brings Them Out The Fastest Is Sugar Water, With high Content of Sugar. I Suck it Up In a Syringe and Squirt it in there Mouth Even if there teeth are clamped down tightly . When You Take Them To a Vet In full Seizure the First Thing They Do Is put them on a Glucose IV. Its Sugar. I had My First Experience over 20 yrs ago with a Yorkie, the IV brought him out in seconds. That Literally scared the heck out of me. I use To show Pekingese Some Of Them Had Seizures after a While You Learn Real Quick How To save Your Dog. But If a Dog Is Going To Have Seizures Most Generally It Starts at 4 yrs old.

July 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm
(54) jenny says:

My 3 year old german shepherd started having seizures a few months ago (she had seven within two hours). She continues to have them but we have just started to add Libromide to the Epiphen she was already having and from everything i have read this combination of drugs can be very successful. The vets told us that the libromide is specifically prescribed for dogs that have clusters like ours does.
I hope your dog responds to tablets and gets her fits under control.

November 2, 2011 at 4:05 am
(55) Sue says:

We have just buried my 15month short haired shepherd after finding her dead. From the description of her injuries we gave the vet he said she must have had a massive seizure and died, painlessly luckily. She has never had one before. I did not know it was a common thing in Shepherds. But after reading all these comments, she never really had a chance. If I had known maybe I could have done something for her as a preventative. She was a beautiful dog and will be sadly missed. I love shepherds but I cannot go through this again!!!!!!

November 27, 2011 at 6:58 pm
(56) Christy says:

We were using 4Health puppy food then when our GSD turned 18 mo we switched to 4Health large breed food, but the last time I went to get more food they were out & I got 4Health adult food. week later she had her 1st seizure.I called vet and they said to keep eye on her. 3 weeks latr after my son fed her huge bowl of food she then that day had a seizure at 4 pm. I called vet they said bring her in. She had another when I got there at 4:30. They drew her blood & called back next morning that eosinophil count was high-which could possibly be a parasite but also a high WBC count possibly indicating pancreatitis. research was interesting for GSD can be prone to it but is controlled by diet. She had another seizure at 5 am next morning, again at 2:30 pm after which pnt she didn’t seem to recover & found her way under our house deck still dazed & for bout 1.5 hours didn’t hear anything, kids and I stayed out there just to be ther. When husband got home after about 1/2 hour we heard her whimper. She came out from under deck & she seemed fine. She had 1 more seizure at 6 pm that night, shorter, more “mild”.All her seizures were at a time when she was resting/sleeping too, not in a stressful situation, with maybe the exception of arriving at the vets. went back to store got normal 4Health large breed food & have slowly introduced her back to it. As of today she has been 24 hours free of seizures. We had to lve the house for a few hours & I set up video camera as I wanted to document if she had another one but she had none. wondernig if maybe she had some sort of allergic reaction to food. She still seems a little docile in comparison to her usual energetic self but definitely responsive to us again and am happy to have her “back”. It seems weird to think that it was just a simple change in food but I really didn’t want to have to do the phenobarbital and actually with 6 seizures in about 24 hours was expecting cardiac arrest.

December 30, 2011 at 9:16 am
(57) Prasanna K Thakur says:

My germanan shepherd dog has first seizure (all grandmal)on 1st nov. 2011,2nd on 8th 3rd on 15th(in morning and in the evening),4th on 18th 5th on 26th of the same month, 6th on 5th dec2011,6th,7th,8th on15dec,22dec and 30 dec11 respectively.the dog has been treated with higher antibiotic,cindamycin vitamin injection but no fruitful results.Since 5th seizure he is on phenobabutal and gardinal( two times a day) but not so useful.It is so painful to watch the otherwise healthy dog to have seizure.Now my Vat is suspecting idiopathic epilepsy.Is there any relation with the frquency of the seizure?

January 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm
(58) Debbie says:

My male GS is 4yrs old and has been having seizures since he has been 2. He is on 60mg of phen 2x a day and he still has seizures. Its. Horrible experience for any one to deal with but just make your dog as comfortable as possible after the fact. I just read some unbelievable articles about the crap they put in our dog foods so Zeus is going to an all natural diet this week. I give him treats and oil rich in vitamins and OMEGA fatty goodness that I strongly believe have help him and made his seizures les frequent and less severe. I recomend all natural and a good diet. Good luck to everyone and happy New Year to u and your pups.

October 11, 2012 at 1:41 am
(59) Robert says:

PLEASE READ !!!!!!!!!!

I have a 3yo male German shepherd named Jasper. About 5 days ago he had a seizure. I took him to the vet right after it stopped. They examined him and ran tests. They told me everything came out normal and he was a healthy dog. They told me to stay with him and watch him and see if he had another and we would determine if he needed to be medicated. About two hours later he had another one and i called the vet and we began the medication. He would also stand in place and froth at the mouth really heavily. And he was very disoriented and didn’t seem to recognize me or anyone else in the family. He would have the frothing episodes about every 3 hours at first. This lasted most of the next day. And he seemed to perk up a little and was moving around pretty good the next day. And he seemed to know me and showed some normal behaviors. Last years winter didn’t get cold enough here where live to kill off the fleas so they have been worse than normal this year. So I gave him a bath to try and give him some relief. I used hartz ultra guard flea shampoo. about an hour later he had another seizure and started frothing bad again. He had a big drop in condition and didn’t seem to be able to walk. Thinking back a week before the first seizure I gave him a bath and used flea powder on him. I followed the directions on the label and sprinkled some in and around his crate. I looked up on the website the side effects and they were as follows:
1 Seizures
2 Disorientation
3 Frothing at the mouth
It said it may take a few days to a few weeks for everything to return to normal. I plan on re-posting and doing an update soon.

October 17, 2012 at 10:03 am
(60) Robert says:

Jasper has had a full recovery and is off meds. He is back to his old self.
I will never again use hartz products. Pretty much scared to use any flea medicine. Im going to find an alternate solution for the flea problem. Im going to try some natural ones. I will do another update soon and keep everyone posted. I really hope this info helps some people out there with their dogs.

December 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm
(61) MARIE says:

Thank you all for posting I am sure like myself you are all traumatised while our so loved companions go through this,my male GSD has been going through this for almost 3 yrs now I have kept a full documented record of every occasion and up to date record of all medication.
Like so many dogs in this topic he has had many cluster fits you will know how how drained these fits leave yourselves what must our companions be going through I would be happy for you to contact me if you think I may be of help.
Kind Regards
Marie

January 2, 2013 at 8:57 am
(62) timothy says:

My 4yo female gs had a seizure about a month ago and i really thought little of it as i was not at home and believed it was just that my kids were exagerating but the last two mornings ive been waking to her having a seizure. I cant afford the high cost of vet bills but dont want to put her down either.

January 25, 2013 at 3:51 pm
(63) Beth says:

My male GSD who turns four tomorrow had his first seizure and hopefully his last this morning. The seizure lasted about 5-6 minutes and it took him about 10 minutes to come out of it. Rushed him to the vet and they recommended bloodwork to rule out any toxins. He was like a maniac on the way to the vet and during the visit. They did give him Valium to calm him down but all he has done since we have been home is whine and cry.

February 10, 2013 at 8:46 am
(64) robin says:

I have a 1 1/2 year old shepard male that may have had a seizure this morning. he started shaking vilently and was out of it for a few minutes when he came to I could tell he was not the same. What may have caused this?? Please help in any way, I talked to the local clinic and they said to moniter him. he has eaten his food now and has gone outside to go to the bathroom and seems fine now playing with his toys

March 5, 2013 at 12:47 am
(65) Carol DeVenuta says:

My friend rescued a very large gs from a pound. He started having grand mal seizures about 6 months later. He takes seizures about every three weeks even though he is on medicine from the vet. He was a little aggressive when he first got Duke, but he has turned out to be a sweetheart though he isn’t too fond of other dogs. My pr’oblem is that my friend is terminally ill. He has no family and I”ve been going there every day to feed him and my family helps walk him. He is too strong for me. I am in touch with a German Shepherd rescue who will take him but probably won’t be able to adopt him out so he will spend his last years in a shelter. He will be scared and lonely. He is about 10 years old. Should he be put to sleep rather then live is life out in a shelter and who will calm him down after the seizures? I love him so much but can’t take care of him … the seizures are horrifying. Please give me advice on what to do. I am heartbroken for him and love him so much,. Please answer me thru this forum. Thank you.

June 30, 2013 at 12:03 am
(66) Audrey says:

My sheperd just had his second seizure tonight. I didn’t get the meds filled. I will have to do this tomorrow. For some reason he wouldn’t eat his canned EVO FOODon top of his dry cereal so I quit feeding him it. Today we gave him the last can and he had another seizure! I am beginning to wonder if it isn’t the canned food! I want to get it checked. Do you get this done at the vet? He is 7years old. It scares the tar out of me!

July 13, 2013 at 12:43 am
(67) Diana says:

I have a 4yr old female German Shepard healthy as can be until july 11,2013, my daughter was watching television round 1:30 in the morning when she realize that there was something wrong. She ran over to her and she was shaking uncontrollably and began to urinate on herself. we tried to get her up but she couldn’t balance herself. we rushed her to the emergency room where they told us she had a seizure yet all the test they took came out well (ekg and blood test)

November 15, 2013 at 8:13 am
(68) Zoeymomma4ever says:

Hello guys We had to put our 2 year old big baby to sleep on Wensday. She about 6 months ago started having seizures it would last about a minuet and was coming about once a month. Well for the past two months we thought it had stopped (but in reality we think she was having them at night when no one was around after doing some research) Well we were out of town on Sunday and my dad said she had been fine all weekend she came inside and they came over to check on her and couldn’t find her, she would always meet them at the door they found her in the playroom and she didn’t recognize them she could barely walk and even put herself in the corner and then Hell broke into our home she started having Cluster seizures and they started to lighten up, to the point she was only having about 1 every 3 hours on Monday but by time we got her to the vet her trigger had become when she ate she went into one. She was in pain, gone blind and couldn’t walk hardly at all. She had lost over 20lbs in the past 4 months. I want to say if your GS has one seizure do not hesitate to take them to the vet! We didn’t because even though we bought her from a girl i knew in town, she hadn’t told us all the history in fact even hid it from us! My Zoey was 1 in 12 litter she was the only one to live past 2 months old. I will make sure they do not sell puppies again! My Vet didn’t want to put her on meds and mess something up that was because of say a food allergy! I will be praying for yall and i know how scary they can be!

January 4, 2014 at 9:25 pm
(69) Barb says:

I adopted an 8-10 yr. old female GS (Keena) from a GS Rescue organization 2 months ago. She was found as a stray, malnourished with bad fly strike and mammory tumors. Her medical needs have all been taken care of and she is now a healthy weight. 5 weeks ago she suddenly started to seize and was trying to move around on stiff legs and crashing into things. I got her down on a rug and just held her until her seizure stopped. It lasted about 3 minutes and she did not lose control of her bladder. When she got up, she walked in circles for several minutes and then was fine. I took her to the Vet immediately and her bloodwork was fine. Tonight she had another seizure while we were outside. We had just come back from a hike and she had been chasing her ball for 20 minutes or so. She will chase a ball until she drops so I have to decide when she’s had enough. We had stopped about 10 minutes before her seizure and she was just laying on the grass. She came over to me with her ball and I could see the seizure coming on because her movements suddenly became stiff and her eyes started to dart back and forth. I was able to get her down and just hold her until the seizure ended. It did not seem to be as serious as her first one. As a rescue, I have no idea how long she has been having seizures. If she is only having them once a month or so, I don’t plan to put her on medication. Time will tell. I had a Shepherd mix years ago that hit her head and the following day had a massive seizure that the Vet could not stop. There was no hope of recovery and I had to have her put down. I had a collie mix that had seizures once a month, was not on meds and lived to 15. Every situation is so different as it is in people.

January 26, 2014 at 12:34 pm
(70) katy says:

Levi had his first seizure at one, not another for a year. Then they started monthly, but became more severe. Vet put him on phenobarbital, this helped with making them less severe. He went 3 months this last summer with no seizures. When he started back up they were every 2 weeks then weekly. Vet did blood tests, he had lyme disease, treated with antibiotics. Vet then added Potassium Bromide, increased the level once already in one month. Vet said there is another medication they just put 2 dogs on and it is working. Don’t know the name at this point. His last seizure left him completely disoriented for 2 days, very concerning. If the combination of pheno and potassium bromide don’t do the job, I have one more option.
Vet said Shepherds are sometimes hard to control, some they can
never control, very disappointing, Levi is my 11th Shepherd, guess I was
lucky to not ever have this problem before.

February 19, 2014 at 6:27 pm
(71) S.P. says:

Hello Everone,
I wanted to chime in because my 5 1/2 yo german shepherd has been an epileptic for the past two years – so far controlled with phenobarbital, no potassium bromide on board. I wanted to encourage people to take their dogs to both an ER, and to a veterinarian as soon as you can when they are seizuring. It is not a good idea to watch seizures, especially if they are cluster seizures or they happen more frequently over time and last longer – you can cause brain damage with 5 minutes (or less in some instances), and certainly with seizures over hours. Phenobarbital is the only drug that shuts down the brain activity that causes the seizures to date; it takes a few days for a dog to adjust once you put them on it for the first time, and they can get tolerant to it and need more with time. If you have an epileptic try to have some at home, with valium which you can put into the rectum in an emergency.

I just happened to do a casual search and came across this forum – I am a veterinarian who has a GSD that I love dearly, and who eats good food (Royal Canin + veggies and yogurt), plays, and this every evening for the first time in well over a year had what was probably a mild seizure in his sleep – not just a really active dream. I have had him since he was 7 weeks old, and I purchased him from a good working dog kennel run by a second generation GSD breeder who has also worked as a veterinary technician. It happens anyway – there was no incidence of this disease in his lines that I am aware of, and the breeder has been pretty up front with her dogs, saying that she has not had any others with this particular problem. Since she takes her dogs back at any age if there is a problem, and I have observed several generations of breeding bitches and dogs I would tend to believe her.

Hang in here with your pets and be proactive , hoping for the best – be optimistic !

February 21, 2014 at 1:53 am
(72) Barbara Kloster says:

My eight month old gs started having seizures 11 days ago, I immediately took him to the Vet. We have only had him for 4 months as he was a rescue with no history. The vet started him on diazepam but after his 5th one in 11 days, he is now on phenobarbitrol, He has had 2 grand map seizures an 1 petit map, the small one right after he got the pheno.
right now he is sleeping quietly but I am going to give him some diazepam before going to bed. His name is Cody and he is a love. I will keep you posted on how he is doing. If he has to be put down, I will never get another GS.

February 26, 2014 at 10:55 pm
(73) Amber says:

I have a 6 month old G.S. (STELLA) with seizures as well. Spent quite a bit of money to have her looked at and no luck. She had her first cluster at 3 months old; only 3 seizures lasting 30 seconds. Her second cluster was at 5 months old (about 3 weeks ago); she had 3 at home and the other 3 in the hospital. They put her on phenobarbital and I have the diazepam for emergencies. She has been fine and I thought we were good to go with the phenobarb. Yesterday she started having them again and they seem to be getting worse. I took her to the vet and there’s nothing we can do right now. It’s heartbreaking. She’s had 7 within the past 24 hours. I don’t know what to do. I haven’t heard much about anyone with this young of a GS with seizures and I’m so scared to lose her. She’s only just begun to be my best friend. I have to leave for deployment in a few months and leave her with a family member… I’m so so worried for my Stell bell. I guess the only reason I posted here is because I’ve run out of options and find comfort in that I’m not alone. I can’t afford an MRI… And if they did find something what would they do??

February 26, 2014 at 11:00 pm
(74) Amber says:

Barbara–I agree, if I lose Stella I won’t get another GS. And if I find out that it’s a genetic thing (trying to find the info on the breeder my boyfriend got her from) and that the breeder knows and doesn’t care I will make sure they never breed ever again. It’s wrong to make a living thing suffer just so you can make a bit of money. Not to mention the pain it puts people through.

March 19, 2014 at 12:46 pm
(75) Alexis says:

Just had to put my 8 week old GS puppy Koda down yesterday. My heart is breaking. He had over 9 seizures in a 24hour period. We just picked him up on saturday and by monday morning he started seizing. We immediatley took him to the vet she thought maybe it was his blood sugar gave him some glucose no sooner did we leave and he had another. Took him to the animal hospital had him admitted did bloodwork, Ultra Sound everything was normal. started him on seizure meds and he still continued to have them. They think it was most likely an abnormality in his brain. We couldnt watch him suffer any longer. My heart is breaking :(

March 27, 2014 at 4:17 pm
(76) Jessica says:

Our baby Bear passed away yesterday. He was six years old and had only been having seizures for about a year. The medication didn’t seem to help as he would have one for two or three days and then he would go weeks without them. The night before last he had a really bad one were he was howling and jumping up and down. The next morning we called the vet who told us there was nothing they could do as long as his temperature didn’t get too high. That same morning he was super tired so we moved him to the grass so he could stay warm. When we got home he was in the exact same spot so my sister went to check on him. He looked at her and moved his paw a little closer to her and passed away right then and there. It was as if he was waiting for us. We asked the vet what the exact cause of death was and they told us he most likely had a heart attack triggered by the seizure. It was absolutely heart breaking as he was a part of our family and my sisters baby.