Does your cat have black spots on the lips and nose? When did you notice this? What did your vet say? Please share your stories here.
Note: this page is for viewer stories, questions are not answered in this space.Tell us about your cat
- Ha! That's exactly what I thought,freckles!! My big orange tabby, Goldie has them on nose and lips!!! For a long time I thought it was dirt!
- —Guest Louise
- My cat Jasper has them also. I was scared because he's always running the streets.
- —Guest philly
Black spots/orange tabby cats.
- My orange tabby named Carmen has black spots on her nose and mouth and shes only 16 months old!
- —Guest Renee Redmond
Flame Point Siamese Cat
- I have a Flame Point Siamese Cat and she has black freckles on her nose, upper lip area, and bottom of her paws. She is a perfectly healthy 2 year old cat. She started getting the freckles on her nose at about 9 or 10 months old. ;-)
- —Guest Carrie
fat orange tabby with black spots
- My male orange tabby Rusty is around ten (hard to tell for sure since we got him from the SPCA) and just recently started getting black spots on his nose and mouth. Scared me because, when he was young, was put on steroids b/c our vet told us he had "rodent mouth" since he would break out with painful blisters on the pads of his feet and his mouth every couple months. His pads would bleed, his blisters on his mouth would too, making it hard for him to eat. He hasn't had a breakout in a couple years (knock on wood!!!!) But he is also overweight, no matter the diet I put him on. I have been so concerned about the black spots, thinking that they may be a side affect of the rodent mouth. It is reassuring to know that other orange tabbies have the same freckles. Also, we adopted another orange rescue named Newman and, although he is young, he too is getting the same freckles.Glad to know my boys are normal gingers!!!
- —Guest jen7334
- Idk when I noticed it I just did and they look adorable. I was getting licked on my cheek and I a black spot on her nose and I opened her mouth and fed her some peanut butter and noticed it in her mouth and ate the peanut butter cause I didn't know what was causing it my mom and vet said it would be fine and they were like birth makes the slowly grew on your cat kinda like the spots on domations idk it was weird the I ended up staring for a while and realized they were right
- —Guest Dani
- My orange/white striped tabby is 3 years, and has very black shiny spots on his lower gum.
- —Guest Karen
Of course, mine too
- 3-4 year old long haired rescue. the black spots aren't permanent but appear quite often. I asked the vet and they said not to worry :] glad it's normal and common :] my grey tabby has never had these and he has a pinkish nose.
- —Guest Angie
Black spots on ginger tom
- I just googled "black spots around my cats mouth and nose" and got yo this site. My 3 year old rescued ginger tom Bagpuss has developed these spots over the last year. Glad to hear they are common and not harmful to him. His sister Poppy is black and white and has no spots, so I was wondering why Bagpuss has them. Thanks for the info. WELCOME. MORE INFO: http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesconditionscat/f/catlentigo.htm
- —Guest CATHY C
my 23 pounder orange tabby
- my huge orange tabby has those black spots in his mouth also glad to hear its nothing to worry about now if I could just get him to lose weight!
- —Guest marcia
Pumpkin has them too!
- Our Pumpkin (orange, of course) has them too - black spots on his lips and nose. Am relieved to know they're nothing sinister and they don't seem to bother him in the slightest. As someone else said, red-haired people quite often have freckles, so it's not surprising orange cats get them too, though if red-haired people got black freckles I think they'd be off to see the doctor!
- —Guest Dawn
- My fat long haired rescue has these freaky deadly spots as well! He swats me (claws in) when I try to investigate his oral cavity! I get a good look when he yawns so I try to tire him.... Lol! I have named my red haired prince "Seamus". The only issues he has is thirst lessens and constipation. He really whacks me when it is enema time, claws out! Poor fattie can't clean himself. 23lbs! Best cat in the whole widest world :)
- —Guest Gina
Spots on Nose, mouth and eyelids
- My rescue cat is a 2.5-year-old orange tabby with a white chest, belly and paws. I first noticed his 'freckles' when he was about 1.5 years old, on his lips. Since then they've multiplied, and now they're all over inside his lips, with a couple on the pads of his paws. This morning I also noticed a black spot above his eye, not on the pink skin around his eye, but under his fur right above his eyelid. I'm pretty sure it's just one of these freckles, i searched for it and that's how I ended up on this page. I'm glad to see that they're pretty normal for orange cats.
- —Guest Emily
My tabby Zues
- Just noticed these also and did some research and found it was just lentigo simplex, nonetheless i was kind of baffled that it mainly happens to orange cats then i started thinking about it and how a lot of people with orange/red hair tend to have freckles also. Pretty interesting stuff to be honest.
- —Guest Chris
Glad to read this
- My orange tabby is approximately 25 years old, and at his age, I worry about everything. I was just wondering if the black spots on his lips could be a cause for concern, because he has few teeth left and it's getting harder for him to eat dry food. I worried about skin cancer, and I'm glad to see that it is common in cats of his color.
- —Guest Denise