1. Home
Janet Tobiassen Crosby, DVM

Foods Toxic to Pets - Raisins

By December 7, 2012

Follow me on:

Raisins by babbagecabbage on FlickrRaisins and grapes are very toxic to dogs and possibly cats. Some dogs love eating raisins and grapes and will seek them out. Pet owners have used even raisins as a "healthy" treat for their dogs. This is not advised however, as grapes and raisins may cause potentially fatal kidney failure in dogs and cats.

Ahna Brutlag DVM and Justine A. Lee DVM DACVECC of Pet Poison Helpline share a raisin toxicity case report in a three year old female Labrador dog that survived raisin toxicity with aggressive emergency and supportive care.

Related Reading

Tell us: Share your story of the worst thing your pet has eaten

Photo: Raisins by babbagecabbage on Flickr


Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Comments

No comments yet. Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment


Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.