1. Home
Janet Tobiassen Crosby, DVM

FDA Issues Alert for Vetsulin® Insulin

By November 9, 2009

Drawing up insulin in a syringe - Getty ImagesThe FDA has released an alert for both veterinarians and people who care for diabetic pets who use Vetsulin®.

The Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health brand of insulin, Vetsulin®, is a porcine insulin zinc suspension used to manage diabetes in dogs and cats. A problem has been found in the production of this insulin, and the levels of crystalline zinc insulin vary - sometimes too much, sometimes too little.

Inconsistent levels of insulin make regulation of diabetes difficult/impossible, and could cause blood sugar levels to be too high (hyperglycema) or too low (hypoglycemia) in patients using this brand of insulin.

Common signs seen with:

HYPERglycemia (high blood sugar) include:

• Increased thirst
  • Increased urination
  • Increased appetite
  • Weight loss

HYPOglycemia (low blood sugar) include:

• Weakness
  • Disoriented behavior
  • Tremors
  • Seizures, with possible progression to coma and death if untreated

From the alert: "The FDA encourages veterinarians to report any adverse events with the Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health product to the company through the Technical Services Department at 1-800-224-5318." Read full FDA alert

If your diabetic dog or cat is being treated with Vetsulin®, please contact your veterinarian with questions about your pet's symptoms or to discuss alternative insulins to use for your pet.

More About Diabetes and Insulin Therapy:

Photo: Drawing up insulin in an insulin syringe - Getty Images / Mark Harmel

Twitter | Facebook | Free newsletter

Comments

November 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm
(1) Sue (Fancycat1) says:

Thank you Janet for letting us know about this alert. I am a regular on the cats forum and got the information that you let Franny know about through your blog. I lost my cat Buddy back in August and he was on the vetsulin for quite some time. He also had a serious seizure about a month and a half before he died. I contacted the vets office this morning and the person that I talked to didn’t know about the FDA alert. She left a message for their manager about the alert and also left a message for Buddy’s vet to give me a call when he came in on Thursday. I can’t say that using the vetsulin caused Buddy’s death but I’m hoping that we can prevent a lot more by notifying our vets that we know about the alert. I gave Buddy’s left over vetsulin to a friend who also has a diabetic kitty using the vetsulin and notified her of the alert. She uses a different vet and has called her vet today and got an appointment for this coming Saturday for her kitty. I am surprised that none of this has hit the media yet–plan to inform our local news stations shortly– hopefuly we can get more pet owners notified about this alert.
Again, thank you so much.

November 13, 2009 at 8:17 pm
(2) Cindy says:

My dog Merlin was diabetic and on vetsulin. He also died, suddenly on Labor Day. There were no signs that he was not healthy. Matter of fact I had just done a complete blood work on him and the vet commented on how good all his values looked. He was walking in the yard and just fell over and died. I have just recently heard of 2 other dogs (the same breed as mine) that were both diabetic and on vetsulin (different ages) that the same thing happened to. I have warned everyone I know that is using vetsulin. It breaks my heart to think that I might have been killing my dog everytime I gave him an injection, when I thought I was helping him.

November 15, 2009 at 8:44 pm
(3) vetmedicine says:

I am so sorry to hear both of your stories, Sue and Cindy – thank you for posting them, this makes the alert more “personal” doesn’t it? :-( Hopefully people will take heed and discuss their diabetic pet care with their veterinarians.

Thanks too, Sue for getting the word out to your friends, vet, local media, etc.

November 18, 2009 at 2:24 pm
(4) Christine says:

My dog has been on Vetsulin for 3 years. Starting in September he had bouts of hypoglycemia & hyperglycemia. His BG was swinging so badly it was fluctuating by 400 points a day. Vet did tons of tests & he is perfectly healthy other than the diabetes. We have determined that it is clearly the Vetsulin that is causing the problems. Are starting him on a new insulin tomorrow. VERY SCARY TIMES!!

November 22, 2009 at 1:58 am
(5) Andrew Jones says:

I just nearly lost my dog Cheyanne who has been on Vetsulin for nearly a year now. She became sluggish and not interested in eating, then yesterday went into seizure. We rushed her to the vet (luckily just two minutes away) and after a day of trying to control her hypoglycemia the vet found it was due to the Vetsulin. She is home now and recovering, and is on human insulin for the time being. Looking back it would seem that our attempts to set the right dosage regimen were thwarted by the problems with Vetsulin. I am very angry that this issue has not been more widely reported. It has cost considerable heartache and money to discover and remedy this problem.

November 22, 2009 at 3:31 pm
(6) Karen Beckwith says:

Vetsulin KILLED my cat 4 days ago.
I am very angry!!
My poor cat SUFFERED LIKE HELL!!
And I did too!!
Schering Plough should be SUED!!
The amazing thing is I called my vet on Friday to warn her about the Vetsulin.
She said “she wasn’t using bad batches”.
TOTALLY CLUELESS!!

November 30, 2009 at 9:48 am
(7) Christine says:

Switched by Berner from Vetsulin to Humulin N. He is doing extremely well & the conversion was easy – it took time however. He is taking about the same amount of Humulin as Vetsulin. I test his blood at home with a kit. His BG is staying very stable throughout the day. No more crazy swings like he had on the Vetsulin.

November 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm
(8) Tracy Orteg says:

I was suspect that there has been an ongoing problem with this product. My dog Chip has almost died twice. I thought it was curious that I got an email from Petmeds asking how Chip was doing on his insulin, when I told them he wasn’t doing well, they just stated they were sorry to hear that. I told them in a second email that I was pretty sure it was a drug problem. They chose to ignore me. We have spent thousands of dollars on this dog trying unsuccessfully to get him regulated. When I let our vet know that vetsulin was going to be in short supply and we wanted to know what to do, he stated there was no problem with the vetsulin. I have since sent him all the information from the FDA. I am so upset that no one had the guts to tell the truth about this and let animals suffer. I am absolutely disgusted with this whole thing.

December 29, 2009 at 1:29 pm
(9) Karen Beckwith says:

I understand a man in Ohio by the name of Lawrence (Larry) Friedman in Sylvania Ohio has filed a class action suit.
There’s NO doubt in mind, my cat would be alive today, had I NOT injected her with this poisonous pig serum.
Vetsulin KILLS!!

January 7, 2010 at 5:45 pm
(10) M. Holley says:

My dog was diagnosed diabetic in April of ’09. He responded well to treatment with Vetsulin, twice daily. The cost of the medication and needles led me to question the vet on the possibility of switching our pet to a different insulin, specifically one prescribed for humans. My husband and I both had more than one conversation with the vet about this and were constantly dissuaded. We were told the dosages would be different and it would be difficult to regulate our dog’s glucose levels. The vet even told us that human-grade insulin was “less concentrated” and would have to be given in a larger volume, making the injection take longer…and we didn’t want to cause our pet unnecessary suffering, surely? So we were convinced to stay the course with Vetsulin.
Less than ONE MONTH after our last conversation about switching the dog’s insulin, we got a voicemail message saying that it HAD TO BE DONE. When we called to question the message, we were told that they would no longer be carrying Vetsulin, but would gladly sell the rest of their stock. No mention was made of the recall or what our vet has now termed “a slight quality-control issue.”
We were never advised to keep a close eye on our dog’s health and so when his thirst & urination increased, we assumed his diabetes was worsening & never considered that the Vetsulin might be tainted. I only found out about the problem by reading the FDA warning online, while searching for a place to continue to buy Vetsulin.
Now we have bought Walmart’s brand of Novalin & 100 needles for less than the cost of one vial of Vetsulin from the vet’s office. The vial should last over 3 months if the vet has prescribed the correct dosage for the new insulin.
Also, the pharmacist had to call the vet to verify which NPH he wanted our dog to get- Humulin or Novalin- and was told “We’re just prescribing NPH.” The pharmacist commented that the answer wasn’t exactly confidence-inspiring.
My dog has only had one injection of the new insulin, but I’m hopeful that it will help him stabilize. We’ll be making an appointment with another vet very soon for a glucose curve and won’t ever take any of our pets back to the vet in question.

January 13, 2010 at 7:23 pm
(11) Rosalind Spragg says:

I called to order Vetsulin Today 1-13-2010 was told what happened. Our dog mr brut has been on vetsulin for 2 1/2 years 13 units twice aday. He has been very sick, has to wear a dipper because urination,now has bad kidneys is blind,weight loss.I,M so mad right now everyone is right our animals our are love and we are killing them because of the insulin Vetsulin. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHO TO CONTACT ABOUT THIS LET> WE SHOULD ALL STICK TOGETHER AND SUE>

January 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm
(12) Laurie says:

I’m very sorry about all of the animals that have been sickened by Vetsulin, but it seems to be the only insulin to have saved my dog. Humulin was the initial insulin that the vet tried, and it never worked for Cody. He had wild swings back and forth and was very sick. When we switched him to Vetsulin, he stabilized, and is a happy boy now.

January 15, 2010 at 10:19 am
(13) Katherine Shearer says:

I have had my dog on vetsulin for over three years and now cannot get it because you all complained. It is your responsibility to understand the disease and monitor your pet. Vetsulin works great, and my dog is resistant to human insulin- it is all that works on her, so now my dog must die because your dog did. Take responsibility for understanding the disease, take responsibility for monitoring your pet, know when the medicine peaks and watch your dog. I check Lady with a glucose meter from Walmart called reli on, the meter and sticks are reasonable. I poke her just inside the lip. In 5 seconds I know if we are fine, she needs a snack, or she needs a few more units. When Dogs exercise always take a snack, they are burning more calories so they will use up the blood sugar more readily and need more food. BE sensible, stop blaming vetsulin for your pets death and assume the responsibility yourself.

January 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm
(14) Harley's Mom says:

Katherine!!!! You need to back off! Maybe your dog is just one of the lucky ones at this point. My dog has been on Vetsulin for 10 months and is on 15 units twice a day and his glucose level is still irregular. I too have questioned the Vet about this insulin and was blown off and now to hear this, I AM MAD! We all have taken care of our pets with nothing but the best intentions. This is not the respponsibility of “our own” to take.
You need to be thankful, who knows the next shot of vetsulin may have been the one to do your dog in.
Right now, I am looking for help! I do not want to make harley any worse than Vetsulin and MY VET already have.

January 19, 2010 at 8:48 am
(15) Rhonda says:

My dog was on Vetsulin for over 3 years and was doing fine. Then she started having seizures and her levels were off so I brought her in. The vet never said anything about the Vetsulin being bad and blamed it on her heart because she is almost 14 years old. I just didn’t feel right about his answer so I went online and found out all the warnings on Vetsulin. Sure enough I switched to Novalin and she has not had a seizure since. I’m saving money and I like the fact that the needles are sharper and smaller than the needles for Vetsulin. I’m sure insulin for dogs is much better than human insulin, but until they get their act together I would NOT go back to using Vetsulin. Katherine, we all care about our dogs, so please don’t blame other pet owners for the lack of Vetsulin. Blame the manufacturer of Vetsulin for not checking into this sooner.

January 20, 2010 at 6:32 pm
(16) Stephanie says:

I have been in veterinary medicine for 12 years and have seen first hand the difficulties of trying to regulate a dog or cat with a human insulin product. Now we find out that this product may be potentially fatal to our beloved patients! This “shortage in prodction” is a nightmare for us in veterinary medicine as well as owners. We didn’t know there was a problem until the we recieved a letter from the manaufactuer ourselves but hindsight being 20/20 we see that we may have lost some patients due to the instability of Vetsulin. This was heartbreaking as we do our jobs because we LOVE animals. We’re in the buisness of healing them, not killing them! I completely unsderstand why owners are outraged but please keep in mind that we were clueless also. At our hospital we are working around the clock to find the best treatment for each individual patient and keep in mind that diabetes mellitus is a fiber responsive disease and your pets not only need insulin but a quality high fiber food in MEASURED quanties as well. To all owners who have lost a best friend due to this tragedy my heart goes out to you! working

January 21, 2010 at 4:11 pm
(17) Rhonda says:

I totally agree with Stephanie…especially the measured high fiber food. I feed my dog three times a day, 7:00 am, 1:00 pm, and again at 7:00 pm and have found ORIJEN to be the best high fiber food around with no fillers. My dogs were on Canidae for a very long time, but started having problems after the formula was changed. According to Canidae’s website they improved the formula, but it caused problems with my diabetic dog and that is why I switched.

January 28, 2010 at 10:58 pm
(18) Tracy Orteg says:

Well, it has been a couple of months since this whole fiasco started and I am happy to report that our dog Chip is doing great on his new medication Humulin N. We got it from Canada for $25.00 a bottle and it lasts 3X longer. However, we did change Chips diet as well. Even the dog foods that are supposedly for diabetic dogs…1st ingredient..CORN. Not a low gi food. He now eats brown rice, mixed greens, small amt of carrots and 1 cup of meat 2x per day. He is the best he ever has been. The vetsulin I believe has been a problem off and on for a long time. There would be months of no seizures and then new batch of meds and lots of cycling seizures. I would highly advise anyone to be very proactive in controlling the diabetes by checking the blood before meals and then doing a curve for your vet to review. It has been pretty easy for us to get the blood. We purchased a meter and tested him regularly. We pricked his ear for the blood and every time we tested…he got a treat, so he didn’t mind much. I’m so happy he is finally feeling well and being playful again. That medication was literally killing him. Best of luck to all of you!~

For those who were not affected you are very lucky. I fear that many…I mean many animals suffered as a result of this drug.

January 29, 2010 at 3:17 pm
(19) Patti Olson says:

My dog Mollie has been on Vetsulin for over 2 years. About 7 months ago she started having her diabetes symptoms again. I tried giving her 1or2 more units. Also when this did’t work, a shot 3 times daily. I checked her urine also BG level. Some vials of Vetsulin seemed to work then the next did not. I asked the vet. in Nov. when I saw the information on a diabetes website. I was told it only affected some batches. The price of the vetsulin then went up, up, from $28.32 to $48.00. Mollie went from 32 lbs. to 24.(she is a Britt. spaniel) I took her in for an overall physical & BG.She was fine except for her BG was 356. I demanded her to be switched to human insulin. They had NO pets on anything other than Vetsulin. I feel they really did not know how to switch her sense they had to look all the information up. I told the Vet. in November about the recall which they assured me it was fine. Today I received a letter from the Vet. that all pets on Vetsulin needed to be switched ASAP. I am SO MAD! My poor Mollie has now gone totally blind, not to mention lost so much weight. I have been going bonkers these last 7 months trying to regulate her. She is 14 years old and I want this time to be peaceful and happy for her not a series of blood tests. My vet at one point told me I could “try” a vial of Vetsulin, if after a few days it did not seem to work I could exchange it and try another. I cannot imagine what this would do to a pets organs! There is a law suit and information on the recall on these phone # 1-419-255-5990, also Dr. Carol Osborne #1-866-372-2765 had ALOT of information. Good Luck to All!

February 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm
(20) Dawn says:

I am so upset!I just read about this alert! Of course, it’s “after hours” at my vet, so I called an emergency clinic to see if I should even give her the Vetsulin tonight or not!

My precious dog, Sweetheart, has just — less than 3 weeks ago — been dianosed with diabetes. The vet put her on Vetsulin. We began at 4 units twice daily (12 hours apart with a meal at both times and only at those times). We’re now up to 8 units twice daily. She’s been to the vet five times in less than 3 weeks, twice for over 6 hours, her blood sugar “isn’t regulating”, she seems hungry with only being allowed to eat twice and 12 hours apart, and I’ve spent over $400 out of my $600 disability montly income (which I GLADLY would pay anything to help my baby!) … but for what? For the vet to give my baby BAD MEDICINE?

Funny thing is, I thought about getting a “second opinion” but held off because of the money situation. Shoulda known better and listened to that little inner voice! Every time I would give her the injection, I’d pray that the Lord wouldn’t let the medicine hurt her in any fashion.

I called my vet and told them I expect a call first thing in the morning, that I was very upset, and possibly needed to change clinics. I’ll research other vet clinics tonight. I’ll probably be up all night getting information. But you know, I’m mad at myself for not researching this IMMEDIATELY. I hope my baby doesn’t suffer because of my poor judgement and lack of knowledge.

Thanks for all you have all written and shared! If anyone sees this tonight, or has any further helpful info to share, please comment back!

With prayers, Dawn

February 4, 2010 at 10:21 am
(21) Rhonda says:

I just wanted to comment on the prices of Human Insulin. I pick mine up from Walmart. Because Walmart is so big they get the Humulin N made just for them but it is called Novolin N. I talked to the pharmacist and it is exactly the same thing. The price is only $24.88 a bottle and the syringes are smaller and sharper than the Vetsulin syringes and they are only $12.58 a box. A big savings over the Vetsulin products. My 13 year old dog has been on the Novolin N for over a month now. She is not perfectly regulated yet, but she does not have seizures anymore and is doing much better. As I mentioned above, I feed my dog 3 times a day and a high quality food. Hopefully, this will be of help to others looking to switch.

February 7, 2010 at 5:09 pm
(22) JUDY SALERNO says:

Here it is February 7, 2010 and I’m just getting the information. I have been increasing Stella’s dose for months, always going up, in an effort to regulate her insulin. Last week, she went to the bathroom outside and collapsed in my husbands arms. Rushing her to the vet, they kept her there and on Vetsulin, charging me 800.00 for three days, sending her home with me, without a word, but now at a lower dose. He wanted to see her in a week. She made it four days before she had a seizure. Something, I swear I don’t know what, made me look at the Vetsulin website where I read about this ALert. When I notified the Vet, he was so evasive, I am shocked. I had so much faith and trust in him, I just feel betrayed for Stella and our family. This is real suffering and to purposely NOT inform your patient that there has been a recall is just unprofessional. What can we do, sue them? I’m all for class action with this and will keep all my records of her suffering. She’s at the vet now where we are using HumulinN. I hope it works, she was on it years ago, but this Vet was sold, he said they really pushed this product 7 years ago. We’ll see. Good wishes and many prayers to you fellow suffers.

February 7, 2010 at 11:28 pm
(23) JUDY says:

I’m updating my post as of February 7, 2010. I picked up Stella today, after a 4 day stay while the Vet put her on HumulinN. She looks great, and has a perky normal attitude. We had a good talk with our Vet and he explained that they had received no letter from Vetsulin. He refused to charge us for her most current stay, and also removed all the charges from her stay last week. He gave me a new vial of HumulinN and a new box of needles. He said he would deal with these people in his own way and that he would get results. I am so relieved, my faith in him remains the highest. I know now, Vetsulin has put this out there, as an “Alert” instead of a “Recall”; because of that wording, they don’t have to request it back. They stated in their letters of attention to use up the stock on hand, then change them over to another product. Deplorable behavior, but not surprising. They care more about the bottom line than the animals that have died or are suffering.
Hope you all are getting better.

February 8, 2010 at 3:25 pm
(24) Rhonda says:

I am so happy to hear that Stella is doing better and that you worked out everything with your Vet. I do think it should be obvious to some vets that even though it was only an alert, somethings is wrong if they are not manufacturing it anymore and dogs that are on Vetsulin are having seizures. Thankfully us worried Moms have the internet to check into these things when we feel something isn’t quite right with our pets. Good Luck everyone!

March 9, 2010 at 11:32 am
(25) tom says:

Maybe I’m one of the lucky ones but my 14 year-old dog has been on vetsulin for about 1 year now with no apparent problems..I’m pretty aware of the signs and symptoms of diabetes as I’ve dealt with type 1 diabetes myself for 26 years with dealing with daily injections ,testing etc..Although my dog has gone mostly blind he seems to live a quality life and is happy. I hav’nt seen a single adverse reaction in him during his entire course of therapy. It will be difficult to switch over to another brand of insulin. I know from personal experience that making these changes can be long and problematic..

March 22, 2010 at 9:46 am
(26) Scott says:

We had a 12 year-old miniature schnauzer named Jerry that was diabetic and on Vetsulin for 2-years. His numbers were great on vetsulin and Jerry was doing/feeling great. During this announcement our Vet was forced to remove Jerry from Vetsulin and move him to people insulin. Jerry’s health immediately took a turn for the worse and regardless of how many screens/attempts to get his diabetes regulated on the regular insulin Jerry’s health continued to deteriorate. It was extremely frustatrating as the switch was sudden and there is no conversion chart as to Vetsulin vs Insulin. Jerry died last week due to complications from his diabetes, less than 2 months following the switch. I blame his death on the switch as again he went from great to terrible immediately following.

April 15, 2010 at 6:01 pm
(27) Lin says:

I’m really sorry to hear of all of your losses and can truly empathize. My 17 yr old Manx cat Tovi has been on PZI and later on , Vetsulin for over 10 yrs…yes he’s a miracle. Weighing in at 26lbs (my fault for free feeding) he went on Science Diet M/D and got sick…..THIS WAS ONE OF THE RECALL CAT FOODS!!!! He survived that and now survived several episodes of seizures and near death on Vetsulin…..he is now 17 lbs and I’m heading to Walmart for HumilinN per my vet. WalMart said this is an OTC drug so I dont need a prescription for an animal. I wish all of us good results as we transistion our pets …best to you all ~ Lin in CA

June 17, 2010 at 1:10 pm
(28) Sarah says:

I just found out on 6-14-10 about the Vetsulin alert after researching Humulin N. My dog Sampson (Min Pin) was first diagnosed in Jan of 2009 and was put on Vetsulin. In May 2010 I went to my vet to pick up Sam’s Vetsulin @ that time I was told they were all out. My heart sank b/c my dog depends on that and he has none left at home. The nurse started calling other locations and finally found a location nearby that had one vial left. I asked the nurse if the Vet could script out so that I could go elsewhere in case of a sitaution like this. She leaves the room, then comes back and says no. I was very upset about that, but there was nothing I could do about it. I left to go pick up the vial at the other location. On 6-12-10 I called my Vet and asked if they had Vetsulin in, I was told No and then told about Humunlin N and how they would need to script it out since they do not carry it. So I call around to find the cheapest place that offered Humunlin (which was CVS @ $53 a vial). I go and pick up the script and on Monday I turn to the net to find cheaper sources for humunlin n. That is when I saw the FDA Vetsulin alert. I was horrified! This whole time I knew nothing about it. I called my vet and asked why they did not tell me. I was told that their medical team said it was okay to keep the animals on it and to only move newly treated animals to other insulin. I am furious at this point and then ask what about the syringes I see this Humunlin is U-100. I was then told that I should not be using the u-40 syringes. I am in tears at this point b/c my dog has been taking Humunlin N since Tuesday night and I have no idea what amount he is getting. I just bought the box of u-40 syringes and now I am going to have to buy a whole new box of u-100. Why isn’t my Vet discolosing any of this. It takes me asking questions and researching to find all this out. I transferred Sam to a new Vet which he is scheduled to go in on Saturday to get a glucose cuvre. By the way this experience was through Banfield “the pet hospital”.

June 24, 2010 at 9:37 pm
(29) Pamela Bennett says:

My cat is fat and happy on Vetsulin I hate to have to change him.

July 2, 2010 at 10:21 am
(30) Taco's Mom says:

Our dog has been on Vetsulin for over 3 years now and we, like many others, are now having to decide what route to go. Taco has 3 vials left which forces my husband and I to decide what to do next week. I am very concerned that making a switch will not work for him. I feel that we have worked so hard and committed to financially taking care of our baby #1, to see it all come crashing down. At 13 years old, our baby should be happy and enjoy his remaining years. Just the thought that he will not respond to another insulin and that we might have to put him down crushes our souls!! This i sso unfair!!

November 10, 2010 at 8:45 pm
(31) Connie says:

I agree with Taco’s Mom…our 16 year old dog has been on Vetsulin for the past 5 years with no problems. I really think it is doing an unjustice to those pets that are responding well to the vetsulin!

January 13, 2011 at 11:16 pm
(32) Laurie says:

I think it comes down to the individual nature of a pet’s diabetes. Upon discontinuation of the Vetsulin, my black lab was converted to the human insulin which was less expensive and available conveniently at Wal-Mart. The first few days were fine and then her glucose levels spiked to nearly 800 in the two days to follow. After about a week in the hospital, I made arrangements with my vet to have Vetsulin directly shipped to my home. For MacKenzie Marie, it works very well. For those who need it, it can be obtained. It just takes a dedicated vet and some paperwork. My deepest sympathies are extended to those who lost their pets to diabetes and complications thereof; including insulin.

February 11, 2011 at 7:19 pm
(33) Toni says:

My mini schnauzer has been on Vetsulin for 1 1/2 yrs and doing fine. Her eyesight has diminished….but not sure if it’s due to medication or her diabetes….no way to determine. She was on the critical care program and getting vetsulin..until I got a ltr yesterday saying they are discontinuing manufacturing of this product!!!! So everyone NO MORE Vetsulin for those who it helped…and converting to humulin N could cause thousands of dogs many problems….I’m sure there are alot of worried dog owners out there right now who have no idea…like myself what to do next. I hope my vet has a good exchange program.

February 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(34) Karen1g says:

My precious pug Paislee Dawn has been a diabetic for the past 2 years. She has done well with the Vetsulin. I got my letter yesterday about the discontinuation of Vetsulin. I cried myself to sleep last night over this. When they had the earlier recall Paislee was placed on Novulin and her BS stayed around 300 to 500+. Her Vet. was able to get her on the critical program and immediately we were able to get her back to a normal range. I am worried sick that she will not respond to the change this time and what will they be able to do for her. She is 13 yrs old, blind but has adjusted to her handicaps very well and is still a very loving child. I do not have biological children and she is my CHILD and I am so worried that with not having Vetsulin she will either die or have to be put to sleep. I cannot bear the thought of something happening!. Good luck to everyone who has a diabetic child.