1. Home
Diagram of a flea - copyright Farnam Pet ProductsLESLIECOX asks: "I have heard that giving brewers yeast and garlic tablets to a dog can be a "natural" form of flea control. However, I have also read that garlic is toxic to dogs. Are these tablets safe for a dog? And, do they work as a flea control at all?"

Comments

November 26, 2008 at 9:51 pm
(1) marlene steiner says:

I presently have 7 Bichons (2 intact boys, 5 girls-3 breeding, 1 going into the show ring, 1 10 yr old) I moved to Texas a yr ago, from Los Angeles. I have been giving my dogs the yeast/garlic pills for over 5 years-never had a flea or tick- and am very fussy as they are show dogs and produce show pups-and never had a problem-so I feel they are the best at this time.

December 11, 2008 at 1:52 pm
(2) tonya riffe says:

Marlene,
We have a Bichon, male, and I would like to know what dosage of yeast/garlic pill you give to yours and where can I find them? Thanks so much!

December 18, 2008 at 8:18 am
(3) Anne says:

I got my supply from the local pet food store. I’m in Canada and I have also found them at Pet Valu at a much cheaper price. The directions say to give one tablet for every 10 lbs of weight.

December 29, 2008 at 11:49 pm
(4) Melody says:

I get my bottle of Brewers yeast at the Farm and Feed supply store for $12.95 for 1000 pills and its for Dogs and Cats.

January 7, 2009 at 10:13 am
(5) kellye says:

We have been batteling fleas for over 6 months now on my cocker spainel. Our catahoula curr does not have them at all. Both our dogs are out-side dogs. When we discovered how bad the cocker had fleas we started treatments, baths, the whole nine yards. Treated the yard also. Nothing is working. We’ve gone through the vet’s treatments. We’ve used cedar treatmens for the yard. We’re at our wits end to get ride of these fleas. I’m willing to try the garlic pills, but would really like to know if they will work. Also we live in central Florida so yes our yard is sand (below the grass). Please help! Thanks.

May 13, 2009 at 9:46 am
(6) Debby says:

We have been using Brewer’s yeast and Garlic for flea control for the last 15 years. We have never had a flea. Prior to that we had constant problems with fleas. We currently have 5 small dogs (very low to the ground) and not a flea in sight. I do give them tablets all year long. As far as any side effects, our dogs usually blow by the average life span for their breeds.

August 14, 2009 at 1:07 am
(7) tina says:

debbie i have 2 chihuahuas 1 with special needs(epilepsy) both around 5 pounds what is the dose you give to ur pups. if you can help i would very grateful. my babies are going crazy

September 4, 2009 at 12:12 am
(8) judylozon says:

can you use garlic on cats too

June 21, 2011 at 10:42 am
(9) rita says:

what is the dosage to give brewers yeast to a 5lb yorkie

October 27, 2011 at 5:55 pm
(10) Tami Knox says:

I started using Brewers yeast and garlic pills when I got my border collie four years ago. I was skeptical at first and had many people telling me that they wouldn’t work. The first three years of using them, absolutely NO fleas or tics! I accidently ran out and he went for a couple of days without them. He was instantly covered in tics! I couldn’t believe it. He is back on them, as is my cat, and I wouldn’t be without them.

September 7, 2013 at 4:31 pm
(11) dianna says:

how long does the brewers yeast with garlic take to work on dogs