1. Home
SARAHKV asks: "My two year old neutered tom has been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. He has been ill for 6 months, hair loss, open sores on his skin, high fever, coughing and general lethargy. We will hear from the vet tonight whether it is FIV or not, either way, can anyone tell me what his chances are? With each visit to the vet he has recovered for a couple of days before becoming ill again. Does anyone know if our other 3 cats could catch whatever it is he has?"

Comments

June 17, 2008 at 6:48 am
(1) Tamlyn says:

My cat was diagnosed with autoimmune disease a week ago, Im worried though that it is a secondary condition and that she has something much worse like Feline AIDS or cancer. She is on monthly quarterzone injections but the legions and sores on her ears and face seem to be getting worse and are increasing – any advice please???

July 2, 2008 at 5:40 am
(2) Nicole says:

My cat has been diagnosed with auto immune disease. She is only 1 and a half years old. She went completely yellow. She was at death’s door. She went to our local vet who put her on an intravenous drip for about seven days to flush out toxins in her body. She is also on five tablets a day and will be for at least the next three months. She is taking two Delta Cortef 5mg tablets twice daily and doxycyclamine (I think) half tablet twice a day. Has your cat been immunised against feline aids? The symptoms of auto-immune are similar to feline aids. Cats apparently have a higher tolerance to Delta Cortef than dogs and humans. I’m happy to say she is a lot better and eating again after not eating for nearly five days. She is still quite yellow and not out of the woods yet. Apparently her immune system was destroying her red blood cells. The Delta Cortef suppresses the immune system. My vet also advised that she may need a spleenectomy which is removal of the spleen. The spleen controls the immune system which is why having it removed can help. The Delta Cortef has side effects like increased thirst and appetite. It causes muscle wasteage and fatigue but once the animal comes off the Delta Cortef the damage is reversible. Hope this helps.

January 4, 2010 at 12:24 pm
(3) DBB2009 says:

Our cat, Merrick, was perfectly fine when we left for our holiday vacation, when we came home friday he had sores all over his ears, the skin was falling off and his ears are bleeding, he keeps meowing and we can tell hes in a ton of pain, hes been just lying around which isnt like him, I called a local vet and took him in this morning (monday) they cant figure out whats wrong with him, they suspect the autoimmune disease. they put him on steriods and antibiotics hoping it helps him. after a skin graph and some scraping they didnt know what to say. Were really hoping the meds work, hes 8 years old and is our baby, if anyone else finds out more about this disease please post the info! I hope to get him better!

June 1, 2010 at 4:57 am
(4) Ray VN says:

My 13 year old cat is suspected of having IMMUNE MEDIATED HEMOLYTIC ANEMIA (IMHA). We’re advocates of western medicine, but also big supporters of holistic medicine as well (hoping to use both here). He was neither weak nor tired, but his anemia was discovered during a random blood check. He was on Doxy, now on Cyclosporine and Prednisone.

Anyway, my point is that I’ve experienced much of this topic thusfar, and this is a fairly decent resource that helped me understand a little more of what’s happening:

marvistavet.com/html/imha.html

I hope you find some info to help you with your decisions.

March 17, 2011 at 10:12 am
(5) Angela says:

Hello Everyone,

My 6 year old, DSH, M/N cat was experiencing infected nail beds and he had begun to chew holes in his fore arms. After spending $750.00 on a biopsy procedure we have discovered it is an autoimmune disorder. He is on Antirobe dropes to control the infected nails which is where the disorder has targeted and he is also on Buprenorphine for the pain. He will need to being on corticosteroids once his sutures are removed and if the steroids don’t fix his arms we will be changing his food as allergies are also suspected. My cat has been on the same medical food for 6 years and nothing in his environment has changed.

The vet bills are alot but he is worth every penny!

For 3 months the vets didn’t know what it was- so if anyone is expereinceing a similar problem, speak to your vet about allergies and how it affects the immune system- you’d be surprised.

October 13, 2012 at 11:41 pm
(6) danise says:

i found this cat and he was pretty sick his hair was falling out….maybe he was starving, but he does have the autoimmune disease….I fed him a can of salmon from chicken of the sea……well his hair grew back considerably after that…..he has his shots….just have to keep him away from my cat…sad

October 15, 2012 at 10:23 pm
(7) Tina says:

My 3 yr old Persian was diagnosed with an auto immune disease about a year ago. He continues to get lesions on and in his mouth. Also on his body. He underwent a biopsy for his diagnosis. He continues to have ring worm but My other 3 cats have never gotten it. His immune system us too weak to take steroids. He continues to be on antibiotics and lime dips every 3 months.

November 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm
(8) Sara. His feet has healed but says:

My kitty is 8 months since 4 months he has had mouth sores and sores on his feet. He has been on tons of meds and wore a cone all day for about a mouth. His feet has healed but then got sores in his ears and still his mouth. I started giving him a baby spoon full of coconut oil every morning and also rubbed some on his ears the sores went away in his ears but not his mouth. He was tested for cancer but it came back negative. The vet thinks maybe his immune system is to blame for all the problems he has been having.

January 1, 2013 at 9:08 pm
(9) Mewsmom says:

My cat was just diagnosed with an auto immune disease and has many of the symptoms mentioned on this page. She’s had skin biopsies and results include E. Coli and MRSA. She has lost all hair between her back legs & the skin looks like raw meat! I know she’s in pain but what can we do for her at home? She was on Buprenorphine in the clinic but nothing was given to us to give her at home. Also, should we keep the cone on her as she licks herself almost non-stop. Can this be cured or are we over optomistic? I can’t bear to see her suffer any more.

February 27, 2013 at 5:38 pm
(10) Maxine says:

My nearly 11-yr old cat is staying with the vet today awaiting my (agoniizing) decision whether to euthanize her. She starting having the symptoms like you describe at age 6 and they’ve gotten progressively worse with each attack,.Her corisone and antibiotic treatments have gone from 1 x mo Spring thru Summer to every 2 wks all year. Starting last month, she stopped eating and drinking and was vomiting brown liquid. She had to be rehydrated, Also she tends to hide when she’s not well and ends up dehydrated. I am at the point that I can’t stand to she her this way, not to mention how cost-prohibitive it is. I have doen so much research today, I am leaning toward euthanization, as it sounds like it will only get worse to the point of debilitation. I know this is hard to hear and I am so sorry,,

April 4, 2013 at 7:11 pm
(11) Keely says:

Our family found this cat in a drainage ditch. We thought he was just a kitten due to how small he was. We took him to our vet, and doctor said he was four with malnourishment and autoimmunity. He is still very small. He has ulcers in his mouth and on his rear. He has.frequent discharge in his mouth and.ears. It is quite.pitiful. Our new doctor took a blood test.and.a.urinalysis. Luckily, he passed with flying colors. We are starting him on a steroid and.antibiotic shots. I hope he gets better. He never had a feline maternal figure, so he acts like a human. Occasionally, laying on his back and.going to sleep. Cute! I hope.everyone’s cats get better!

May 23, 2013 at 10:18 pm
(12) dean says:

I have a 16.5 lbs.3 years old cat.I noticed him breaking out with scabs under his chin.The vet said it looked like autoimmune and he gave him a weeks worth of antibotics and a steroid shot.It began to clear up for a few days then it started growing faster than before.I took hom back and the vet gave him another steroid shot and some topical ointment.Its moving from his lower chin to his lips, and eyes now.Its painful.It takes two of us to put the ointment on him and he fights and runs and hides. I was searching for more information on the internet when I came across a product called Digestacure. Digestacure is an all natural product that goes straight to the root of the problem. It doesn’t treat the illness ,it cures it! I have had my cat on this product for over a month now, and all his scabs have disappeared and his hair is beginning to grow back. The web sight is (www.digestaqure.com )Their number is 1-888-671-2873 .The starting dose was Day 1 to Day 4: 1/2 capsule sprinkled on a small amount of wet food.Day 5 to Day 8: 1 capsule sprinkled on a small amount of wet food. Day 9 forward: 1 capsule sprinkled on a small amount of wet food morning and evening.(My cat wouldn’t eat it on food so I got a pill gun from my vet and gave him the recommended dose in the capsule form). Hold this course until all symptoms are gone. It is recommended to use the product for at least 4 months. Digestaqure was originally used in the treatment in humans ,but have had great results in animals too. If your interested in this product, please contact a digestacure rep. about your pets needs before starting a treatment. They are very helpful. Digestacure will cure over 100 autoimmune conditions in both humans and animals. Please check out this wonderful all natural miracle cure. I hope this will help you and your beloved pets, like it has helped mine.

January 14, 2014 at 9:24 pm
(13) Jose says:

Yes, but ‘digestacure’ is made of aloe vera leaves, anjd aloe is supposed to be poisonous to both dogs and cats. How come your cat was able to take the poisonous remedy?