1. Home

Cherry eye is a common term for a prolapse of the third eyelid (nictitating membrane) of dogs. This produces a very red lump in the inside corner of the eye. It is not usually painful to the dog, but unsightly. This eyelid contains a tear gland that is reponsible for a portion of the tear production of the eye. Treatment can be one of two options: replace the eyelid and try to save the gland (approximately 80% success rate), or remove the eyelid and the gland. A possible risk of removal is the development of dry eye later in life.

DRAFFERTY10336 asks: "I have a 4 month old bulldog that has developed cherry eye. I understand that this is a routine procedure and the symptom does not cause the dog any pain as it is more unpleasant to us then them. What is the best way to approach this? That ophthalmologist suggests to tack the gland back into place with a 85% success rate for $650. A experienced bulldog vet will remove the exposed portion and leave the tear gland in place. I'm afraid of the word REMOVAL... and any damage to the tear gland. Any thoughts, any one gone through this?"

Share your cherry eye photos and experiences
Please tell us your story of dealing with your dog's with cherry eye and share photos if you have them.

Comments

February 21, 2007 at 12:00 am
(1) MONA says:

MY ENGLISH BULLDOG IS 4 MONTHS OLD AND ALSO HAS CHERRY EYE IN ONE EYE. WE HAD THE TACKING SURGERY DONE THIS MORNING AND IT STILL LOOKS LIKE HE HAS IT TONIGHT WHEN HE JUST CAME HOME? THEY SAID IT HAS A HIGH RELAPSE RATE? HOW DID YOUR DOG DO RECOVERING? ANY PROBLEMS?

June 7, 2007 at 10:08 pm
(2) Holly says:

$650? what vet are you seeing? i paid 55 at my vet, you are getting riped, check around.

July 9, 2007 at 6:26 pm
(3) hailey Gordon says:

My 7 month old Frenchie possibly has Cherry Eye, we have not gotten it removed yet – is it that serious?
I’m taking her to a specialist hospital to get looked over. Have your dogs recovered ALL THE WAY?? Do you recommend the surgery???

September 7, 2007 at 6:23 pm
(4) Tracy says:

Holly: Wondering what part of the country you live in for surgery to be $55. I can only hope it’s that reasonable in Portland, Oregon. I’ll definitely shop around, since it sounds like the procedure is routine.

November 27, 2007 at 6:21 pm
(5) Tori says:

I have a American Cocker Spaniel and he’s 2yrs old. He has cherry eye in both of he’s eye’s. I had the surgery done 3 times. Yes 3 times! The 1st time he had both eye’s replaced {1 month ago} and the right eye popped back a loose within a couple of days. So I then took him back to the doctor and then was told that possibly she needed to use a stronger stitch when she replaced It instead of the puppy one she used. So instead of re-doing them both she only re-did the right one over that popped a loose. Now while right eye was healing not even a week later the left eye popped a loose, so she now had to re-do the left over now. So that’s 3 times now within 3 weeks. BUT NOW… With in that month they both have popped back a loose and I am at a lost of words. Not sure what to do other than now being advise removal of the gland plus possibly be on medication for the rest of his life for dry glands. 379.00 was what I paid for his surgery.

Anyone have the removal done that can give advice?

March 29, 2008 at 7:18 pm
(6) Mickie says:

Tracy, I am also in Portland, where did you get yours fixed?

July 5, 2008 at 1:30 pm
(7) Abel says:

I personally have a bulldog puppy that “cherry eye” occurred and fortunately noticed it right away (took the puppy out for it’s business… eyes were normal… came back inside and looked at her face again, CHERRY EYE). After some digging around on the internet… found a recommendation on Wikipedia under “cherry eye” to GENTLY close the “OUTER” eye lids in the affected eye (like you’re just keeping your dogs eyes closed… and GENTLY push in the general area of the “Cherry” (in the direction of the nose)… Apply “sensitive” THICK eye lubricant DURING the process and for several days after OR, when general eye irritation is noticed (POSSIBLY to prevent future dryness and in my OPINION… ONE of the many possible causes of the “Cherry eye” in the first place).

Repeat the process whenever is it discovered (minutes after… to several days, or 2-3 weeks). If it is found that the home “remedy” does not “cure” the condition after several attempts… Surgery is likely the only other alternative. :(

July 16, 2008 at 5:33 pm
(8) dwayne sullins says:

I have a 4 month olde english bulldogge who has cherry eye and I have been looking around for the lowest price to have the surgery done. I live in fairfield county and the lowest cost I so far was $950.00. Any help out in getting a lower price. HELP

July 25, 2008 at 12:51 pm
(9) Joyce says:

I have a chihuahua that had a cherry eye repair in one eye only that did not work at all. I paid $465 in Northern New Jersey. She now has to have the gland removed including collar and antibiotic ointment. I have no clue yet what that charge is.

August 8, 2008 at 2:47 pm
(10) JJher20 says:

You can massage this gland back into place if your pet hasn’t had surgery. My cocker had cherry eye. I got the antibiotic/steroid drops from the vet to use for 7 days. after a gentle external massage, the gland popped back into the correct position and her eyes were back to normal (I did not touch the gland or the eye) I am continuing the drops for the 7 day regimen as a precaution.

August 9, 2008 at 3:23 pm
(11) Anna says:

we just has surgery on our bully for his cherry eye. we paid $350 here in Arizona. It has been a week and it is still a little red, but it is healing nicely. We are putting drops twice a day in his eye.

August 12, 2008 at 8:35 pm
(12) Kaylani says:

Anna-
I am also here in AZ and my dog needs cherry eye surgery. Where did you take your dog to? 350$ sounds reasonable since I have gotten other more expensive quotes….

August 15, 2008 at 12:35 am
(13) Lisa says:

I have a Yokiepoo and he has a cherry eye on his left eye, doctor says the surgery will be from 400 to 700. Is this true? Or is it possible to massage it in? He is 7months old and 11 lbs, 1st cherry eye ever.

August 19, 2008 at 11:32 pm
(14) Judy says:

I have a 8 month Cocker with this as well. His face looks so sad now! He is trying to get at it with his paws and by rubbing on the carpet. He is seeing the vet this week.

Joyce, I am also in Northern NJ. What town was your Vet in? I am not trying to get personal here, honest! I am terrified of both the price and the failure rate. I don’t want to let my little boy (ok, puppy!) down but I also don’t want to go broke. I would hate to have to have surgery and then have to have it again. Everything I have heard is not encouraging.

August 30, 2008 at 12:48 am
(15) CL says:

JJher20, are you saying that the massage technique will only work if the dog has not yet had the surgery?

My Welshie had the surgery (Manhattan, $750, ouch) but it was only partially successful. It definitely looks much better than it did before, but you can still tell that he has cherry eye. It doesn’t seem to bother him, so I haven’t rushed to get the surgery done again and apply drops to the eye every day to prevent dryness. I’ve been reading everything I can find about the massage technique (I’ve tried it without success) but this is the first thing I’ve read that suggests that the technique won’t work on dogs who have already had the surgery.

September 5, 2008 at 12:21 pm
(16) Sheila says:

My Cockers have had this. I don’t promote stitching because our first had this done, and the stitch scratched her eye really bad (resulting in 3 surgeries altogether). We just get the gland removed now. There is a risk of dry eye, but remember that this tear duct is responsible for ‘a portion’ of the production of tears, not all production of tears. My vet charges about $50 for the removal.

September 10, 2008 at 2:12 pm
(17) Kim says:

Hi:

I just purchased a chihuahua from the pet store on Friday 9/3/08. When I was signing the papers for her, the sales person told me that she had cherry eye and that they had performed surgery on her. I had asked the sales person what happens if this comes back and she told me that it would never come back once you have the surgery. Is this true and if not should the pet store pay for these surgeries if the condition was to return? I feel they took advantage of my love for this dog, by not telling me the whole truth.

September 11, 2008 at 1:31 pm
(18) otwife says:

My dog had the surgery 2 weeks ago now. I am in North Western NJ and it was $300 total including blood work, meds and e-collar. His eye looks normal sometimes and rally red otehr times. It is the third lid that is swollen, not the gland. I hope this is just the normal healing process. He is scratching it occassionally but most of the time he does not seem to pay attention to it.

September 12, 2008 at 3:56 pm
(19) Alan says:

My 10 month old English Bulldog has it in both eyes. Yesterday I had both done for $975 in Santa Barbara at the La Cumbre Animal Hospital, but he was also neutered. Last night the right eye popped back out, it has to be re-done next week. Both his eyes have swelling. My three year old English Bulldog had it in both eyes, and I was successful at just massaging them back in when she was a puppy. Now they go back in very easily and I ony have to do it once every few days or so.

October 20, 2008 at 7:56 am
(20) Pearl Culberson says:

I have a 15 month old american chocalate cocker spaniel and he hat cherry eye at 7 months after his first cut at petsmart,picked him up his eye was red. Never took him back found another groomer further away 8 months later I wake up and decide to give petsmart another chance on petsmart grooming my baby well I pick him up and now the other eye has cherry eye how is that possible. Could they have done something to of caused like cut to close to the eye. His fisrt surgery cost $365.00 here in Atlanta. I think I am going to fight this one out.

October 28, 2008 at 6:27 pm
(21) Angie says:

I have a 14 week old English Bulldog who developed Cherry Eye this past Saturday. We had seen the “blob” before but it always went back inside on its own. On Saturday it popped out and appeared bigger than I had ever seen it and has yet to go back inside. I took her to the vet on Sunday morning as a precaution, of course our usual vet was not there, and they prescribed drops for $50 and said it would most likely not work. We have surgery scheduled for 11/12 as that is the soonest available. We were quoted between $400 and $500. I had accepted her fate until yesterday when her eye started bleeding! I did not know what to do so I called the vet and they had me come get ParaLube – artificial tears. I have been putting that on like clockwork but it started bleeding again today! I am very scared for my dog and hate that we have to make her wait for her surgery. We are in SB, CA if anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know.

November 3, 2008 at 3:16 pm
(22) blue says:

hi guys,

our dachund (sp?) just got this out of nowhere, maybe with a sneeze, and it went away… Is this normal?

November 5, 2008 at 1:31 pm
(23) Tim Fogleman says:

I have a 5 mo old rescue cocker thas has had one eye done by the resuce mission and now suddenly the other one has ppooed up. When I called Banfield Pet Hospitol who I have done busness with for years, wants $800 for 1 eye! Is there no reputable vets in The Charlotte NC area that can do this for a lot less money, this seems to be a common problem with this breed!

November 18, 2008 at 1:33 am
(24) bulldoggy says:

If you live in Santa Barabra California go to Dr Butchko in Riverside and you can wait for the surgery that day. I heard it was $250 he is a Bulldog specialist. He has written books so he has the funds to have fair prices for Bulldog owners.

November 18, 2008 at 1:36 am
(25) bulldog says:

I can beat all of you. I live in the Bay Area and I went to the Doggy Eye doctor in Campbell and they wanted $1000 for the surgery $112 to look at the dog and that didn’t include all the extras..meds….
Does anyone know any place within a 3 hour drive I can take an Engish bulldog to? (California San Jose)

November 18, 2008 at 1:39 am
(26) renrr says:

This really pisses me off….there is more sewing and digging when you get your dog spayed/neutered and yet they want to charge 10-8 times more. What a rip.

November 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm
(27) robin says:

For the bulldog owners in California try Barney and Russum animal clinic in Fairfield. They specialize in bulldogs.

November 30, 2008 at 8:36 pm
(28) lori says:

In Southern, Ca go to Charles Lidikay in Fillmore he worked with Butchko in Riverside and is fair and very knowledgeable I do believe he saved my little bully and delivered her (7) puppies as well…….

December 7, 2008 at 8:21 pm
(29) joanna says:

My fourth month old Boston terrier developed a cherry eye this afternoon. I took him into the after hours vet, even though I’d already googled online and knew what it was. They gave him a shot of anti-inflamatories, eye cream, and pill anti-inflammatories to give him. I came home and gave him a warm compress like they suggested. They said he’d probably need the surgery to tack it in. After reading the info upthread, I was able to massage the mass back into place. He’s totally zoned out in my lap from all the excitement, so I can’t see if its going to stay back in place. I doubt it but maybe…thank goodness I bought pet insurance for him.

December 11, 2008 at 2:42 pm
(30) Lucy says:

ABEL I really have to thank you tons! Thanks to your home remedy on massaging the eye my labrador retriever is much better and the cherry eye was gone in two days. I was desperate because surgeries are expensive and I needed something good and inexpensive. Thank God I found this website. I bought thick eye lubricant and night lubricant cream, massaged her eye towards her nose and after four times of administering her this she was as beautiful as before. Thank you so much Abel and this website.
Lucy

December 21, 2008 at 6:47 pm
(31) Jenna says:

they remove cherry eye for 25$.

December 25, 2008 at 2:08 am
(32) eddie says:

Is there any over the counter lubricants for humans that I can use to massage the cherry eye. My bulldog also got this last night. Also any suggestion in the los angeles area for a vet and cheap surgery?

Thanks

December 25, 2008 at 12:35 pm
(33) Mike says:

My dog got the cherry eye a couple days ago, and an expensive, possibly ineffective surgery is not what this college student is looking for at this time. I’m going to try massaging but hear to use eye drops as well. Is there a special type of eye drops you all are using that are specifically for animals, or just the average human eye lubricant?

December 30, 2008 at 12:34 pm
(34) Lori says:

Why are all these dogs getting cherry eye, is it due to over breeding? My 12 week old pup has cherry eye too. We got a quote for 1500 for the repair. This is crazy, I want to send the breeder the bill.

January 21, 2009 at 3:04 pm
(35) Melissa says:

I have an 8 month old english bulldog at 4 months old she got a cherry eye i took her to my vet and he removed it he only charged me $35.00

January 21, 2009 at 6:04 pm
(36) MaryAnne says:

I live in the SF Bay Area, mid Peninsula. My little chihuahua/minpin has a cherry eye. He is less than 10 lbs and we have waited to have his eye fixed. (The vet suggested this since he was very small). Any REASONABLE vets in the area?? I have been quoted everything from $500 to $1200 and can’t afford it.

January 22, 2009 at 1:38 pm
(37) deedee says:

Dear dog owners, a lot of the cherry eye cases shrink in size and become less noticeable in time. I have a puggle who developed one at 4 months. He is almost 12 months now and his eye has improved so much, it’s hardly noticeable. It doesn’t bother him and he makes plenty of tears. The color has also changed to better blend in with his lid. It’s no longer bright red but dark brown. I think everyone should take a wait and see approach. Vets are becoming a bit too ambitious about surgery. It does go down over time.

January 24, 2009 at 5:10 am
(38) christina says:

My 16week boston terrier got cherry eye in one of his eyes and we took him to the vet and she told us to give him benadryl for a week and see if it goes down. But last night it start to bleed alittle and now this morning his eye was full of discharge and the cherry was bigger and redder. Is there any eye drops we can get to help his eye be less inflamed? Or does that massage really work to get it back in?

January 24, 2009 at 1:37 pm
(39) Jer says:

We have an American Bulldog/St. Bernard mix,he has had the surgery that pushes it back in and stitches it shut, which cost $330. It popped back out within 2 months. I think it happens when a dog plays hard or strains, as this is what he was doing prior to the gland popping back out. It is now getting larger (1 yr. later). We were quoted to start $1200.00 and $165 for the 1st office visit. Michigan 2009

January 25, 2009 at 12:24 pm
(40) Jordan says:

I have A Australian Shepperd.There is a bump,a red swelled bump on her left eye standing next to her and right looking at her.It is red most the time and sometimes the small bump is not very visible,the redness of the bump covers her whole eye.It Dos not effect her in anyway.She acts Normal.If there is a vet that can contact me please tell me so at the email given.Thank You.

January 26, 2009 at 2:59 pm
(41) Paula says:

My dog has cherry eye, since birth. She is a mixed breed, looks like a Jack Russell, Beagle and Chi.

I am too very ambiguous about getting the procedure done. Dubsy is now 11 months old, and it does not seem to bother her at all.

I live in the SF Bay Area and I use the Oakland SPCA as my vets. I am going in today for a consult ($38) and will let you know what my vet says and see what price I am quoted. Since there are 3 types of procedures that can be done to remove the cherry eye, I can see where there would be a huge price difference. If the vet just pops it back in and it stays (which is rare), that would be like $55, reasonable. But the other procedures, considered eye surgery, can cost more. I am hoping to catch a break at the Oakland SPCA. Dr. Rouke is the one who does the surgery.

Anyway, I will report back on the price.

January 30, 2009 at 10:11 am
(42) Kate says:

I live in St. Pete, FL and our 10 week old English Bulldog just developed what appeared to be a “cherry eye” by all indications. I called the breeder and two vets. One gave me a price quote of $1000 at his current weight and getting more expensive with every pound he gains! The breeder recommended a vet about an hour and a half away. They suggestted I put off surgery to see if it occurs in the other eye. Then this morning the dog woke up and his eye seems 90% better. And it never seemed to cause him any discomfort. He sees the vet on Monday for shots anyway so we are going to wait and see what she says. I was hoping for a recommendation of a vet in this area who is cheaper.

January 31, 2009 at 3:02 pm
(43) Belinda says:

My friends gave me their 11 week old chihuahua puppy because of her cherry eye. They were gonna put her to sleep! I would like to try the massage technique before surgery but need to know what brand or type of eye lubricant to use. Thanks to anyone with advice!

February 7, 2009 at 11:12 pm
(44) Libbys Mom says:

Here are instructions on the proper “massage” technique. I have also read that it may be allergens. I for one plan to try everything and since there is no sign of pain or discomfort also plan to do the technique below and if it does not work, I will still wait it out a week or two to see if it self corrects.

Treatment Options for Cherry Eye
Non-Surgical
There are old timers with extensive experience with “Cherry Eye Condition” that recommend an alternative to surgery, especially those breeds that have high surgical risks. The first thing that is done to “treat” this condition is to prescribe an antibiotic ointment, second use warm compresses to the corner of the eye, third is to massage the gland lightly with the index finger applying even gentle pressure in a circular motion. Once the tear duct becomes “unblocked” even if it is out of its normal place it is now of a size that usually can be returned by pulling very gently the outer tissue and “popping” the tear duct back into place. You may have to replace the tear duct several times over a two week period, sometimes I have heard for even a month, but then it does not require surgery, and the dog as a general rule has no more problems with the condition whatsoever. We urge new pet owners to be very careful when attempting to use this technique because you can cause injury to the eyeball if you scratch it when trying to massage the tear duct. Try to find another owner of a bulldog or similar breed to walk you through it the first time to make sure you are doing it correctly. We do urge you to seek veterinarian assistance if the condition worsens or if this technique fails to make an improvement. There are some bulldogs that have an inflamatory disease as well and you may see a worsening of the condition. Inflamatory conditions must be treated with an anti-inflamatory antibiotic drop or ointment.

February 11, 2009 at 10:58 am
(45) cindy says:

i got my daughter a puppy for christmas and now she has cherry eye in both eyes i cannot afford the 846.00 quote i got from the vet i live in michigan and have read everyones comments does any one have any suggestions on how to fix our puppy she is just heartbroken about it please help me thank you

February 12, 2009 at 5:22 pm
(46) Janice Ormond says:

I have a 3yr old beagle .he has had cherry eye off & on. This last time it was 3 wks ,saw a vet who said it is more cosmetic..but if it didn’t go back..surgery.it went back one day & then returned. I wash it (herbal eyedrops & try to keep it moist BUT I AM GOING TO TRY MASSAGE FIRST, TRYING TO GET A VET TO TELL ME THE EXACT RIGHT WAY IS SO FAR NON EXISTENT.i DID READ IN OUR NEWSPAPER HOW AN EYE SURGEN WAS SHOCKED AT HOW MUCH A VET ADDED ONTO HIS OPERATION SO I WILL GO STRAIGHT TO A SURGEON. HOW IS YOUR DOGGY? i HEARD IT CAN COME BACK & HURTS FOR A WHILE,ETC.
jAN o.

February 14, 2009 at 7:04 am
(47) Jane says:

I have a bulldog with cherry eye that I paid $575 to have repaired and the eye returned to it’s original state within a week. Very disappointed. Have been advised the surgery is not guarenteed so it will be another fee to repair it again on top of putting her through the surgery again. Looking for a specialist at this time near CT.

February 15, 2009 at 10:00 am
(48) christy says:

if you remove the gland as a puppy you might not see signs of dry-eye for awhile. but as a dog ages you will notice a thick dischargre comming from the eye. this is the first sign of dry-eye and somtimes hard to control. so befor removing the gland look in to the cost of life long meds , and other complacations (ulcers). And look at the overall sucsess rate of tacking the gland.

February 18, 2009 at 1:29 am
(49) branson says:

My 4 month old beagle puppy has cherry eye in both eyes. The first eye he got it in has now turned into a weird bluish greenish almost marble looking eyeball. i can’t even see his pupil or anything. I don’t know if the cherry eye has caused his eyeball problems? and am afraid the other eye will develop it soon

February 25, 2009 at 6:54 pm
(50) Rick says:

My 7 year old minnie dauchsie has always recovered pretty quickly with the drops. this time it seems to want to stay. Will allow the vet to do the surgery, she seems to know what she is doing, and will charge around $250. It does seem to bother him some, but doesn’t look as bad as some of the photos on the websites.

March 11, 2009 at 2:54 pm
(51) Christine says:

Hello All… I need some help!!! I have a 1yr old english bulldog she also has cherry eye, I was refered to a specialist who quoted me 1950.00 for both eyes(although she only has it in one)I love her to peices & want it done right but thats a bit much_ I live in Long Island NY Please Help!!!

March 11, 2009 at 11:22 pm
(52) Jan Ormond says:

I have written before w/3 yr old beagle. I am trying the massage method for cherry eye as he is very physical & may pop it again..+ when I was back East this summer he learned how to open the fridge.at least an extra 10+++ #’s. This may make the surgery not work.He has had this for a mo.now……then before 2 wks & it went back for a day. then now hoping to have success w/massaging.
I get po’d with the different prices charged for the surgery. The doc that saw Oscar said mainly cosmedic but if it didn’t go away in a mo. he will send me to a surgeon. The next day there was an article in the paper re: a vetinarian eye surgeon was upset because pet owners were charged so much extra for the surgery coming thru the vet. H-E-L_L-O!! Anyway, I am hoping for something good to happen..it had occured about 4 times before & fixed itselfso I have some hope still. But I am checking around to find prices…so far the spread is 600 between vets. Please realize that vets may love animals BUT they love $ too..especially w/hard times out here.

March 14, 2009 at 9:12 am
(53) kristie says:

I have a 3 month old Lhasa Apso and he had surgery for his cherry eye and i was only charged 75.00, but now i have to get the other done aswell. But he did good with the surgery and i have not had any problems with the eye that was operated on.

March 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm
(54) Barb says:

All,

I have kept beagles for years and cherry eye is a common condition in beagles. We’ve been through several dogs with this condition. There’s a lot of misinformation being spread through this string, so I wanted to share some info:

Cherry eye is not harmful to your dogs, just unsightly. A dog can be just fine with the cherry eye, but does have an increased risk of injuring the gland, since it is protruding.

Massaging the gland to pop it back in and using antibiotic/steroid drops does not “fix” the eye. The gland WILL prolapse again. The eye meds help keep the gland from becoming infected when it is first exposed and not used to being without protection from the environment.

The gland removal surgery may not immediately cause dry eye, but will cause problems as your dogs age. Dry eye can be a bear to keep up with in an older dog and increases the odds of eye damage. While this procedure may be the cheaper alternative, plan to be committed to being able to place drops or ointments in your dogs’ eyers 3-4x a day for life if you consider this option.

A tacking procedure of one sort or another is the best and most successful alternative. Yes, the cherry eye can recur, but if you have an experienced vet performing the surgery, the tacking procedure will very likely repair the cherry eye for the duration of yor dog’s life.

The most successful technique that we have found works for our dogs is what the vet calls the “Pocket” technique. While there is a risk that the suture may scratch the cornea with this technique, I would recommend that your vet NOT use a soft stitch, bc these often dissolve before the tissue is able to heal enough to hold the gland back on its own.

Also, do NOT be worried if it still looks like your dog has cherry eye for a few days after surgery. Like with any other surgery, tissue is traumatized and swells. Same thing goes in the corner of the eye – and the swelling then resembles the cherry eye you hoped was just repaired. Give it time and don’t over worry.

As for cost, unless you are in a big city, if your vet quotes more than around $300 to $800 for this surgery, I’d be looking elsewhere. In the city, veterinary care is a bit outrageously priced, so I wouldn’t be surprised at this surgery being around $1000. Alternatively, if your vet can do this for under $200, I’d be very concerned about allowing the vet to operate on my animal.

Overall recommendation: If you can’t stand looking at it and have to get it repaired, get the tacking surgery, use a vet who has successfully performed many of these surgeries, follow all post-op instructions and chances are in your favor that you’ll never have to think about that cherry eye again.

March 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm
(55) Barb says:

Oh – forgot to mention… Even though the chances are slim to none that massaging the cherry eye back in will keep it in, if you are looking for a good eye drop/lubricant over the counter, Genteal drops are appropriate to use. Specifically, I’d look for the Severe dry eye formula or the Night ointment. Just make sure not to touch the eye with the tip of the tube so as not to contaminate it.

March 24, 2009 at 10:08 pm
(56) Elizabeth says:

If you’re anywhere near the San Diego, CA area (we live in LA)…I would have to recommend Dr. Lee at:

619/280-1503
Mission Gorge Animal Hospital
6690 Mission Gorge Road
San Diego

He was recommended through Peggy from the SD Spaniel Rescue Group and we couldn’t be happier. We had tried medication and massage, which did not work to resolve the issue. Dr. Lee does a laser surgery, which resolved the issue, decreased heal time and didn’t require removal of a tear duct, etc…and he was reasonable.

April 2, 2009 at 1:34 am
(57) Dora says:

My 7 month old Great Dane had cherry eye in 1 eye. The vet said it was uncommon for danes to get this but very common in dogs with bulging eyes. She had the surgery to tuck the gland back in and she’s healing well. I live in Ontario California and paid $450 for the surgery. Vet said there was a small chance it could happen again.

April 19, 2009 at 8:01 pm
(58) Alicia says:

My 2 year old bulldog has had cherry eye since he was 6 months old. I took him in to get both of his eyes fixed when I had him “fixed”. 2 weeks later his right eye prolapsed again. He went in for a second surgery, got it fixed and 2 weeks later the LEFT eye prolapsed. Again, we took him in and got it fixed. One week later BOTH eyes prolapsed !!(this morning) Is this normal?? I mean how many more times can I put him under for this?

April 30, 2009 at 9:34 pm
(59) Anthony LoFrisco Jr says:

We have a four month old Italian Spinone with cherry eye. We got a quote from Banfield in Norwalk, CT to do both this and a complex neutering for $1250 (complex, becuase he has a recessed testicle which costs twice as much to remove.) Doing these things seprately would have cost I assume, $1500+. Since we are on this puppy plan that covers shots, office visits and a simple neutering, our final cost is $800. In spite of the lower price, I will be donating a testicle to pay for it …the irony.

May 4, 2009 at 10:03 am
(60) cntrygrl says:

Hello. We have a shih tzu with cherry eye in one of his eyes. I have thought about maybe getting the surgery to “tuck it in” but after reading the posts it seems it could come back and most likely will. After much research on the internet it doesn’t bother the dog, just can be unsightly to us as the owners. I am NOT going to have the surgery as my puppy is fine and happy and I will not put him through several surgeries just to make him look more appealing. Nor would I have the cherry eye removed because it will cause him many problems down the road as he ages. My advice is to just love your dogs they way they are as the cherry eye does NOT bother them.

June 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm
(61) Jeanne says:

My 3 month old english bulldog was playing with my other og when we noticed her eye was looking aweful. Quickly I called my breeder and she had me put rewetting drops like the ones that contact users use in her eye, than a warm cloth on the corner of her eye by her nose. gently pull out a little on the eyelid and message the eye towards her nose and after just a couple of minutes it popped back into place. she is doing fine. Her eye looks a little puffy but that it no longer the cherry eye. Thank goodness for a well informed breeder. Thats why it is a good thing to keep up a good relationship with the breeder. She is a wealth of information. i dont know what i would do without her.

June 17, 2009 at 7:02 pm
(62) Brooklyn's Mom says:

We have an english bull dog, she has had surgery for cherry eye 2 times. First the left, that came back, then both of them. We are from Long Island, the first time it cost $500 and the second time $750. I know crazy!!! Well, now guess what?? Its back in the left eye, yet again. We are currently considering removal. Please let me know what u think? and Has anyone gone to a opthamologist? Anyone know any cheap place in NY??? help us? please.

June 23, 2009 at 10:40 am
(63) Craig in Michigan says:

My euro great dane pup has cherry eye in both eyes,i am researching the methods vets use,the best one i found was the pocket method where they make 2 incisions on each side of the prolapse gland and stitch it back in a pocket it has a 94% sucess rate.The other methods are too risky.Removal of the gland is no option for me,dog could delelop dry eye his whole life,the other is the tuck method with 2 sutures,but it could happen again.Has anybody had success with this pocket surgery? Thanks for a reply.

July 5, 2009 at 10:45 am
(64) Nicole M says:

Hello- My 7 month old English Bulldog just had cherry eye surgery. It did not seem to work very well as the cherry eye is still present. The eye is very swollen and looks a lot worse than before we took him to the vet. Can anyone recommend a good specialist in the NYC or CT area??

July 19, 2009 at 8:36 pm
(65) Madeline Trait says:

My Boston Terrier has cherry eye in both eyes. I would like to get it fixed however, the lowest quote I got was $1500!!! I cant afford it and am wondering if anyone knows a good and more reasonably priced vet where I can get this done in the Bay Area, CA.

July 26, 2009 at 11:16 am
(66) Matthew says:

While my Boston Terreir was relaxed and sort of sleeping or close to falling asleep i gently aplied pressure to the lower eyelid pushing it up over the prolapse and tword the snout. I did this once last night for about ten minutes and once this morning for about ten minutes and the third lid slipped back into position. I was also tols that if this did not work to aply cortizon and a quarter of a benadryl wait twenty minutes for the swelling to subside a bit and then repeat messaging. Also the more this happens and the more you correct the problem yourself the easier it gets to just pop the lens back into place.

August 13, 2009 at 12:04 am
(67) Lu says:

My 10 week old Puggle just developed this cherry eye. It has been nice to hear the solutions that have been presented. I have tried some massage, warm compresses and eye ointment. Poor little guy went to sleep with the cherry eye – I’m hoping tomorrow will prove a good result??? My question is that if it does not work and I need to have some type of surgery for him, does anyone know if this is considered hereditary? We have only had this little guy for 3 weeks and our breeder gave us a health “guarantee” – not that we would give him back, I just need assistance financially for a surgery. I called a vet opthamologist (sp?) today and would not give a price quote – she said that I would first have to come in for a $125 consultation fee!!! I think I need to come up with a “consultation fee” for people who come to me for “mom” advice.

August 20, 2009 at 8:15 am
(68) Patty says:

I am getting my dogs cherry eye fixed and he is also getting neutered on the same day for $180.00. That’s because they can do it all while he is under 1 time..
NYS

August 27, 2009 at 7:12 am
(69) Jackie - Boston says:

We have a 16-week old Boston Terrier who developed Cherry Eye three weeks ago in her right eye and now has it in her left eye. We got a quote from Tufts Veterinary for $600-$800 to tack it down. Can anyone in the eastern Mass/New Hampshire area recommend a good opthamologist that might be cheaper? Also, anyone know how well pet insurance (for example, VPI) covers something like this? Thx.

August 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm
(70) Vern says:

I have a 4 year old cocker spaniel male that we rescued about a year ago. He has been the pillar of perfect health the entire year that he has been ours. I came home from work today and noticed his eyes were crusty… So after closer examination… both his eyes are red and swollen across the bottoms… Is that cherry eye or a nasty case of alergies?
Any recommendations for a place for surgery in the Mckinney texas (75069) area? Seeing people mentioning prices as of hundreds of dollars and higher is scaring me…
Our other cocker which is also a rescue has perfectly normal looking eyes! What do I do? I dont want to throw money away but I also want to help my dog.

August 31, 2009 at 8:07 pm
(71) Moses says:

Hi, my 12 week old pug just got cherry eye, so if anyone knows a vet that will do the surgery in toronto for around $60 please contact me. my email is moses_hockey@hotmail.com

September 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm
(72) SF Puggle owner says:

Lu, your breeder is likely not going to be on the hook for this. It’s very common in beagles and happens to pugs a lot too. I just took my puggle in to my vet about this Monday and he said he’s seeing quite a few puggles coming in with cherry eye. It’s not a genetic defect from the parent dogs so your breeder cannot be held responsible I dont think.

September 1, 2009 at 11:43 pm
(73) val says:

Lu, i was just wondering if your puppies eye looked better the following morning after the warm compress, ointment and message. As i just tryed this with my shih-tzu puppy.

September 9, 2009 at 10:55 am
(74) Debbie L. says:

My beagle has has 2 cherry eyes for about 7 years now and he’s been fine. My vet said the procedures are purely cosmetic for the most part. My question to everyone who’s had animals in the past with cherry eyes is what kind of issued do their pets have in later years with their eyes. I know dry eye is one issue, and the risk of injuring the protruding gland is another. But, I’ve thought my beagle has been getting cataracts for years and 2 vets wouldn’t confirm that – they say it’s not cataracts. But he does have cloudy eyes and it’s getting worse. Any known (senior-years) cherry eye complications out there for senior pets with the condition? Thx.

September 16, 2009 at 12:37 am
(75) Alxias says:

((Check photo of my puppy in my URL))
Sam arrived at my house yesterday in my fathers’ arms. He’s a purebred Shih Tzu pup, less than three months old. Apparently, the breeder told my dad that the growth I have found to possibly be ‘cherry eye’ was just an ‘eye pimple’ and it would just pop and go away. I don’t believe this. Firstly, what would be the less costly treatment for this? Secondly, is this painful for Sammy? Will this hurt him later on in life if I don’t get it taken care of? I’m in need of help!

September 24, 2009 at 8:14 am
(76) Raquel says:

I have a 9 week old bulldog puppy that has cherry eye. I took her to the vet they did give me some ointment and if we do surgery it will be from $75 to $150. Venice FL. She is a great vet. The parents have never had any cherry eye problems and now this litter I have one puppy that has cherry eye.

September 27, 2009 at 2:04 pm
(77) Tiffany says:

hi my 5 month old english bulldog has it on both eyes and luckily the right one pushed in but i looked and called all the vets possible i found some from ranging all the way to 800 but i got lucky and found a vet for $100 i live in san antonio no not another country try looking all around good luck!!!!

October 6, 2009 at 1:16 pm
(78) millard says:

the problem is you should have a board certified opthalmologist perform surgery and thats why its costly. My puppy (english bulldog) is going through it tomorrow ,i live in NYC so im expecting to pay about a $1000 anything less will make me happy. If you dont use a board certified vet. then the odds of it happening again are greater. Why try to save few hundred bucks,thats what i say.

October 8, 2009 at 11:29 am
(79) Kaylin says:

I have a 3 1/2 months old chihuahua ..I was just informed yesterday when i went to the vet its cherry eye..they told me they could do surgery..but the question is..HOW much is it gunna cost ? I live in Upstate NY ??

October 8, 2009 at 11:42 am
(80) Liz says:

My 18 month old lhasa apso had cherry eye removal several months ago. She has done extremely well. This week, the other eye developed it. We have no qualms about taking her in for surgery. She’s not had any other problems and if dry eyes develop at a later age, there are certainly drops that can be used. We live in central Arkansas and paid $75 for the procedure. After reading all these comments, I’m very grateful that our vet is so reasonably priced.

October 8, 2009 at 11:00 pm
(81) Rita says:

Just had my 4 month old puppies eyes done in Spokane WA….Dr. Yakly….Veterinarian Opthomalgist….$477 (including meds) both eyes done been a month and all went excellent. Highly recommend him and the procedure.

October 12, 2009 at 12:25 pm
(82) diane says:

just wanted someone to know- groomers CAN cause cherry eye. I used to be one, the flat faced breeds are held by their ears alot of times when doing face work and that can cause prolapsed eyeball. It usually occurs if they are held onto to hard while struggling. To the woman who took her dog to petsmart FIND ANOTHER GROOMER!!!
There is no reason this injury should happen while your pet is in the care of someone who “loves” animals. Isn’t that why most get into these careers? I have actually seen an eye completly pop out and if your that frustrated with the dog your working on get a new job.

October 13, 2009 at 4:34 pm
(83) maria says:

Help! I just got my 9wk old Chihuahua and half her face is white and the other half brindle. The white side of her face the eye looked very pink and little puffy. I thought mayber it was bc its the white area. The next day she had full blown cherry eye. Is the breeder responsible for taking her back, I cant afford surgery, shes using drops now. I think they knew the pup had this already and massaged it back in. No full disclosure. I have more Chi’s I have never seen this b4.

October 24, 2009 at 6:04 pm
(84) Jen says:

My 3 yr old Maltipoo just had his cherry eye tacked 3 weeks ago. I paid $400 in St. Louis, MO. I thought it was fixed and it poped back out today. I called vet surgeon and am going back tomorrow- Do you all think the vet should at least partly cover another surgery since it been less than 3 weeks???? They said all cherry eye surgeries only have a 80% success rate…he even wore his cone for 14 days!!!

October 26, 2009 at 10:22 am
(85) ultra morgans says:

I took my 3 mo old cocker to the vet this weekend and she was dx with “cherry eye”. Vet recommended using castor oil-putting drops in her eye and massaging. Has anyone heard of this?

October 29, 2009 at 9:55 am
(86) Madeline says:

Debbie L., I have had my beagle for 10 years now that has lived with cherry eye almost all her life. About a year ago she started to have this clear goopy stuff coming out from her eye, almost like thickened tears. To which my other dog usually licks up from her eye, very sweet.

We do not have enough money to affored the surgry and are hoping it is not too much of a bother to her as surgrys here can cost up to $800-$1000 including pain meds, knock out gas, and the prociedure.

Based on everything that I have read it seems that is is all cosmetic, as my dog is not showing any favor to it of any sort. She is still happy dog.

Hope this helps.

October 29, 2009 at 8:25 pm
(87) zulima says:

I HAVE A SHIH POO AND SHE ALSO HAS A CHERRY EYE I TOOK HER TO A MOBILE VET VAN IN BROOKLYN. THEY PUT 2 INJECTIONS IN HER EYE AND I HAVE TO PUT EYE DROPS IN HER EYE 4X A DAY…. AND IT WAS ONLY $125.00. THE SWELLING HAS’NT GONE DOWN YET BUT I GUESS ILL SEE IN A COUPLE OF DAYS. GOOD LUCK!

November 19, 2009 at 6:53 pm
(88) Jeanine says:

My vet charges $50 for anesthetic and about $35 per eye TO REMOVE THE GLAND. I wouldn’t mess around with this tacking business. I know a lot of dog people and it doesn’t normally work, and after spending a lot of money, people have to remove the gland anyway. $85 and your are done.

It seems like a lot of people on this site would be better off to fly in to my vet and have the procedure done. I am in Michigan, the clinic I go to is Allegan Animal Clinic in Allegan MI (you can google their phone number).

November 20, 2009 at 10:29 pm
(89) CD says:

My Cocker Spaniel developed Cherry Eye and I had the surgery to tack it done by a Board Certified Vet. It caused more problems because the sutures damaged her cornea. After six weeks of her in pain, I took her to an animal Ophthalmologist who will perform the surgery again. He said her sutures never dissolved and will perform another surgery where he creates a pocket for the gland. He says this surgery (done by Ophthalmologist) has a 93% success rate in the field. The surgery is costing the same as the original surgery done by a Vet. Take your pet to a specialist and don’t try to save money. You’ll end up paying more in the long run.

November 22, 2009 at 2:11 am
(90) aiken says:

Speaking of french bulldogs CHERRY EYE Is Not a condition that should be ignored and time may not be of the essence. The procedure most importantly should be performed by a practitioner/team you feel without doubt confident to entrust the life of your pet to. Someone you feel completely comfortable with who will gladly answer any and all questions and explain the procedure in detail in laymen’s terms. It is likely some “optional” measures will be indicated in any surgical estimate provided. These should be noted and explained to you so you can make an informed decision.

A single eye approximately $500.00 +- 15% with pre-surgical exam, F-stain and antibiotic treatment with follow-up visit in upper CT.

An appropriate DVM board certified surgeon should be selected with extensive experience in the procedure with brachycephalic breeds. The proper administration of pre-medication and anesthesia is vital.

This is from a journal i read online and hopefully it will benefit someone here.

DEFINITION: Cherry eye is clinically defined as a prolapsed gland of the third eyelid. The term cherry eye was coined because the prolapsed gland looks like a cherry located near the inner corner of the eye.

BREED AND AGE: Cherry eye can occur in many breeds of dogs but is most common in young bulldogs. Although the problem can occur at any age, it is most common in animals 2 years of age or younger and can be unilateral or bilateral at initial presentation. Although the precise mechanism by which cherry eye is inherited is unknown, the breed predisposition implies some type of genetic mechanism.

PATHOPHYSIOLOGY: The anatomical structures that anchor the gland of the third eyelid in its normal position and the pathogenesis of their failure are poorly understood. The gland is classified as seromucoid in dogs and contributes an estimated 30% to 57% to aqueous tear production. Partial or total removal of gland predisposes the patient to KCS (Kerato-conjunctivitis sicca), (Dry Eye), a common complication associated with cherry eye. KCS requires lifelong treatment, usually with topical cyclosporine, corticosteroids, and ocular lubricants.

CLINICAL SIGNS: Appearance of around, smooth, red mass near the medial canthus of a young dog is highly suggestive of a prolapsed gland of the third eyelid. Inflammation of the gland with swelling and redness may be present, but often the gland looks relatively normal, with a smooth, pink conjunctival surface. If the gland remains prolapsed for an extended period (months to years), the exposed conjunctiva overlying the gland often becomes pigmented, but there is no evidence of ocular pain. The gland usually remains prolapsed but occasionally repositions itself naturally or with gentle digital massaging. Even after repositioning, prolapse tends to recur.

DIAGNOSIS: Schirmer tear tests should be done on both eyes to assess reflex tear production has decreased or if the patient has developed KCS. Fluorescein staining should also be done to evaluate the effect of decreased tear production on the corneal surface.

HISTORY: The proper way to manage cherry eye was controversial for many years until it was determined that the gland is responsible for a significant amount of tear production in dogs. For years, practitioners either removed the gland or allowed the gland to remain prolapsed, but these approaches resulted in a high rate of KCS. Surgical replacement of the gland is now the overriding management strategy.

MANAGEMENT: Very young puppies (birth to about 3 months) presenting with unilateral cherry eye for a short duration that have no complications can be medically treated with eye medications for awhile (2-4 wks), because the gland in the other eye is likely to prolapse in the near future. If or when the other gland prolapses, surgical repair can be done as soon as the surgeon feels comfortable anesthetizing the small patient and handling the patient’s tissue. Watchful waiting can also be used to manage older puppies and adults that have unilateral prolapse for a short duration (less than a month), but if prolapse occurred more than a month previously, surgery is recommended. Bilateral prolapses are always surgically repaired at the same time. Note: The longer the gland is exposed (months to years) the less likely surgical procedure will work, but it is always best to attempt the surgery before partial or total removal. Always remember to be using lubricant in the cherry eye to keep the tissue viable and healthy. At all times until surgery can be done.

SURGERY: Three basic surgical techniques have been described, but many variations have been reported. The basic methods include orbital rim anchoring; scleral anchoring; and, most recently, the pocket method. The method chosen is largely a matter of personal preference, but in a series of surgical corrections of 125 cases of cherry eye, the pocket method was the most successful (94%, compared with 41 % with the scleral anchoring method, independent of surgeon.

In brief, the pocket method involves parallel incisions made anterior and posterior to the gland. The gland is then easily tucked into the pocket and conjunctival edges are sutured closed using a continuous suture pattern with the knots tied on the palpebral surface to avoid abrading the cornea. Absorbable suture is used by most surgeons. Some surgeons recommend a second row of sutures, suggesting a higher success rate. Some surgeons suggest leaving the two ends of the incision open to allow tears to escape more easily from the created pocket. Postoperative triple antibiotic ointment is applied two to three times daily for 2-3 weeks.

PATIENT MONITORING: An Elizabethan collar should remain in place if patient is rubbing at eyes. The patient should be examined 2 weeks after surgery to ensure proper healing without corneal ulceration.

PROGNOSIS: Morgan and colleagues reported that only 10% of eyes in which the gland was repositioned developed KCS, whereas a total of 85% of patients with glands that were partially or totally excised or that remained prolapsed developed KCS.

NOTE: Cases of cherry eye in Bulldogs and Mastiffs seem to be most difficult to manage, and the surgeon may elect to pretreat the inflamed gland with topical corticosteroids to improve success.

November 22, 2009 at 5:05 am
(91) spanky says:

i have a chihuahua/jack russell dog who is 3 years old. i was told this is pretty old for a dog to get cherry eye but he now has cherry eye.. i live in los feliz california and would like to know if anyone could refer me to a good veterinarian that is well versed in cherry eye. if so, could you also please share your experience with me. thanks very much!

November 23, 2009 at 6:21 pm
(92) janie says:

hi this is for the women living in san antonio can u please tell me the name of the vet that did the surgery for 100.00

December 2, 2009 at 1:30 pm
(93) Gwenn says:

My dog has cherry eye, she is about a year old. Will her condition get worse as she gets older?

December 4, 2009 at 1:04 am
(94) christopher says:

Cosmetic? I would caution anyone to describe the consequences of Cherry Eye to be strictly cosmetic!
How does a DVM perform surgery on a breed that requires Gas and a tube for $35- 100.00? It isn’t out of the question your pet may need to stay hospitalized over night.

Removal of the Gland is the only cheap fix and in the long run it is not inexpensive due to the consequences. Financial and emotional not to mention what this choice can result in for a poor pet. Removing the gland is an absolute last resort, and no competent vet in this day and age would agree to do this as a standard remedy. I say RUN!

Surgery costs $$$ Veterinarians are physicians. The same medicine we treat our pets with applies to humans.
Please make sure you ask all the right questions. Which procedure are they proposing? A Removal, Partial Removal, An Anchor Tack, Or a Pocket Surgery, or Combination?

If it sounds to good to be true $$ it usually is! It would honestly help to know what procedure was done exactly to correct the condition.

December 4, 2009 at 10:09 am
(95) christopher says:

There is a 5 to 20 percent recurrence rate depending on the surgical procedure used, the size of the gland at the time of surgery, the duration of the prolapse, and the condition of the cartilage of the third eyelid. In general, if the gland is replaced quickly, is not too swollen or inflamed, and if the cartilage of the third eyelid is not bent, then the success rate is higher for surgical replacement.

If only one side had prolapsed and was surgically replaced, continue to monitor the other eye for development of a cherry eye. To prevent the other gland from prolapsing, the unaffected gland may be prophylactically sutured at the time the initial gland is operated.

Administer all medication as directed by your veterinarian and return for follow-up as directed by your veterinarian. If the gland stays in place for one month following surgery, then the prognosis is good that it will not reprolapse. If the gland does prolapse again, a second surgical replacement may be attempted, or the gland may be removed.

It is necessary to monitor tear production for sometime after the surgery to determine whether it will remain normal. The onset of dry eye may be delayed for months to years following prolapse of the gland. Signs of dry eye include thick, pussy discharge from the eye, redness to the conjunctiva and cloudiness of the cornea.

It is advisable not to breed dogs that have developed Cherry eye in order to decrease the occurrence of the problem within the breed.

December 7, 2009 at 8:38 pm
(96) Julie says:

My Lhaso Aspo has this and I am wonderin what the TRUE cost is and the best procedure?? I live ib Canada

December 10, 2009 at 11:06 pm
(97) dbet says:

Can anyone recommend a cheap Vet. in the Chicago land area for cherry eye removal??

December 12, 2009 at 1:11 pm
(98) Amber M. says:

My puppy Bella got a cherry eye the day after we brought her home when she was 10 weeks old. The cherry eye went away on its own later in the day. A couple of weeks later she got another one and it went away again. The cherry eye came and went a few times and then the last time it appeared it stayed. We went to the vet and scheduled the cherry eye surgery to be done at the same time she got spayed. her surgery was 3 days ago. When I first brought her home her eye looked horrible, red and swollen. It looked as is her cherry eye was still there only about 10 times worse. The vet assured me that it was just swelling and it would go down in 3-4 days. Today some of the swelling has gone down, but I swear she still has cherry eye. The red bubble-like thing is still in the corner of her eye. I just don’t understand what’s going on. I paid a lot of money for the surgery and it doesn’t seem to have worked. Does anyone know if it’s normal for the eye to still look like cherry eye 3 days after the surgery? Could it be swelling? Could it be that the cherry eye was not fixed properly?

December 20, 2009 at 9:37 am
(99) Amber M. says:

I left the comment above and I just wanted to get on here and give an update. I took Bella back to the vet a week after her cherry eye surgery and the doctor confirmed that the cherry eye had in fact popped back out. I’m not sure exactly how long after the surgery it came back out, but I think it was a day or 2. She had a second tacking surgery 3 days ago and it it 10 times better this time around. You can tell the cherry eye is staying in and the eye looks a lot better. There is a little swelling and redness, but it is less each day. I was told it would take 3-4 days for the redness and swelling to go down, but I think it is taking a bit longer than that. I’ve heard some people say it takes a week. I’m crossing my fingers that the cherry eye stays back this time! The vet said our next step if it comes back out will be to remove the gland all together.

I live in southern Virginia and I paid just under $300 for the surgery the first time. The second time around the vet did it for free! I was very pleased and impressed with that.

December 22, 2009 at 1:31 pm
(100) Tess says:

My 1 year old Tibetan Spaniel developed cherry eye in one eye a few months after we adopted him. My vet, whom I trust implicitly, did the surgery to tack the gland down. He explained that it is like trying to sew jell-o to give us an idea of what the procedure is like. It is a very sensitive surgery and he won’t even do it on most patients (he refers to an eye specialist) but since my dog’s was still small and his tissue was a little more firm he went ahead with it. He cautioned that there is a high rate of reversal and if that happened we would have to go to the specialist. It was succesful for almost two years but recently we noticed that the other eye has developed a “cherry” and now the corrected eye has relapsed as well. Now we have to go to the specialist which won’t be cheap but you get what you pay for. I’d rather pay more up front to make sure my pet is getting the best possible care which can eliminate the costs of a botched or inexperienced surgery. There is also less of a risk post-surgery. I wouldn’t think of skimping on my own healthcare why would I bargin shop for my beloved companion? Go with a good referal. P.S. Unfortunately this is not covered by most pet insurance.

December 26, 2009 at 11:44 am
(101) Martha says:

I had an eye specialist do my bulldog. His was too big to completely go away. The dog doesn’t care if he has the cherry eye as it doesn’t hurt.
For $55 they only removed the gland. That is the easy way. It does cause dry eye and the dog will need drops for their life. I have had this both ways and I think just to leave it alone is best.

January 4, 2010 at 3:46 pm
(102) pattie in seattle says:

I have english bulldogs and both have had this problem.I used the massage method for them. Emma eventually grew put of the problem but my 2 year old is starting to have a problem with it again.He is an avid chewer and loves to chew his toys for a long time. If he is left to chew for a long time thats when he has a problem with it so I massage and have to take his toys away for a few hours usually at least overnight. Hope this is helpful.

January 8, 2010 at 3:25 pm
(103) Linda says:

My five month old chihuahua just had the surgery for cherry eye done in late Nobember’09, pocket technique, tuck & tack. It cost me $700 at a vet in NJ. Well, last night the cherry eye was back. They said it could recur, but apparently there is a larger percentage that recur. In doing my research I’ve learned that the dog does not necessarily get dry eye when the gland is removed. The lower lid does not produce all the tears of a dog. My friend in Pennsylvania checked with their vet and they will remove the gland for $85.00 total. I’m going to do this because the other procedure fails a large percentage of the time. I won’t just leave it because her eye was getting irrated and cloudy from inflammation so something must be done. Can’t keep paying $700 for failures.

January 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm
(104) brittany says:

anyone know of a place in utah that removes cherry eye for cheap…We have a 6 month old shih tzu

January 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm
(105) Megan says:

My Boston gets cherry eye, mostly after she’s come in from playing outside. I wipe her face clean with a warm, damp washcloth. Then I put in one or two drops of gentle or sensitive GEL eye drops. Depending on the time of the day I notice it, I’ll usually do that immediately and then repeat before she goes to bed for the night. More times than none the cherry eye is gone before bedtime, if not, its gone by morning. I do not see the need to put my dog through unnecessary surgery’s and spend tons of money, if it can be cured by some over the counter drops and a little bit of time. As long as its not permanently sticking out, or bothering her…..I will continue to use this treatment for her. I would like to see if others have used this as a solution as well.

February 15, 2010 at 7:09 pm
(106) kirstine says:

hey i have a cane corso mastiff puppy his 6 months old and during christmas i found one of his eye having cherry eye. we took him to his vet to find he indeed did have cherry and and no sooner then did we get home from the vet the other eye as well got cherry eye as well. because of christmas just being around the corner we waiting a few weeks to get the surgery taken care of. i tried doing the “massage” and it did go back in of both eyes. but no sooner then 30 mins later did it pop back out. after surgery the right eye looks wonderful. but the left look rather puffy. after a few weeks it popped out again and we had the 2nd surgery but no sooner after bringing him home it popped out again for the 3rd time and we again are on for a 3rd surgery. the first surgery cost us about $700 and our vet didnt charge us anything for the 2nd am not sure what the charge will be for this 3rd and he said he was going to do other form of the surgery to see if that would work. my question is what if this dosnt work what are they going to do next i dont want him to lose his eye or the glade in general am very flustered. what i’m doing wrong! why dose it keep popping out!

February 22, 2010 at 4:10 am
(107) sara says:

I have a 18 month old beagle terrier (?), she had cherry eye for about 2 hours about 2 months ago. I took her to the vet immediately, they recommended expensive replacement gland surgery. Since the condition went away shortly after we got home from the vet and has not returned, i am wondering if surgery is still a good idea, or is it absurd???

February 22, 2010 at 3:38 pm
(108) Amber says:

For those in Southern California I cannot recommend enough Brookhaven Pet Hospital in Garden Grove. They were recommended to me by the great rescue group Pooch Match and I couldn’t be happier. The fixed my 4 month old Boston Terrier’s cherry eye for a fraction of what my vet wanted. They charged me $150 total including meds! I just had to supply my own E-collar (Petco has em). They also used the pocket technique (the ONLY technique you should be considering) so no tissue was removed. It’s been a week now and my little guy’s eye looks absolutely perfect. They also have a very high rate of success and will redo the surgery for free if the cherry eye pops out again! Absolutely love these guys and can’t recommend them enough!

February 23, 2010 at 7:44 pm
(109) rodney says:

my local vet was gonna charge me 70.00 to preform this on my 2 and a half year old bullie but unfoutunately she never woke up from the surgery. good luck and god bless the ones you love

February 27, 2010 at 2:30 pm
(110) Aubrey says:

I just had this exact same issue with my cocker spaniel. My vet charged me $90 to do the procedure and burn off about 20 warts. I left her with the vet for a few hours and when I picked her up her eye was a little red, but I could not even tell that she’d had the cherry eye. We discussed both options, the very expensive one and the cheaper one. The fact of the matter is, this happens often for some breeds so I had the Dr. “remove” the problem area. She looks normal and seems to be as happy as ever. I was very pleased with the less expensive option and would do it again.

March 1, 2010 at 3:02 pm
(111) Ted Safarian says:

I have a 6 month old english bully and am in the washington DC area, i will drive up to 3 hours away to get his cherry eyes removed , i just cant seem to find anyone…please help

email me at tedpodder@gmail.com

March 4, 2010 at 4:41 pm
(112) Jamie says:

I have a 1 1/2 year old Chihuahua who has cherry eye in both her eyes. When I adopted her from a shelter she only had it in one eye. About 3 months later the other appeared. I will not put my dog thru any surgeries as my vet has expressed to me that it will almost positively come back! Cherry eyes do not hurt or have any serious affect on the dog! They go from red to very light pink as time goes on! I just want everyone to know after extensive research and the knowledge from my vet, it does not cause your dog any pain and/or suffering! It just looks alot worse than it actually is! So before you decide to put your dog thru extensive surgeries, i would re-think it!

March 12, 2010 at 2:38 am
(113) Lauren says:

I have a 1 year old bulldog he has cherry eye in both eyes. I’m not going to get them removed as I’ve heard it doesnt hurt them and removing them can cause bigger problems. I’ll I do it pop them back in and my bulldog is fine.

March 15, 2010 at 1:59 pm
(114) Troy says:

Just a word on pricing, I live in a small town about 30 miles south of Tallahassee, Florida. We have 2 animal hospitals here. Called the first one, they quoted me $449 all itemized out with $116 just for anesthesia. Less then 1/4 mile away the other animal hospital quoted me $119…covers everything, even take home pain meds. Shop around!!

March 26, 2010 at 3:05 pm
(115) Ashley says:

umm… I just got back from the vet who quoted me $931.51 FOR ONE EYE!!!! I live in California.. I know im getting ripped off!! Is it ok if we just leave the eye?

March 31, 2010 at 8:46 pm
(116) Maverick718 says:

I sold a Rottie to some people & it’s now 8 months old & has cherry eye in both eyes. They were quoted 1300.00 by a vet in Pa. All the other pups are fine, only this one, the largest has this problem.

April 6, 2010 at 1:25 am
(117) Mellissa says:

we have a 4 month old Bulldog. Last week we noticed cherry eye; so we took her in to the vet. She is scheduled for surgery for April 15th. The doc told us its nothing to stop your life over as it will not hurt the dog. The doc gave us a few options; Use eye drops to reduce the cherry eye, surgery to tuck it back in or removal. Doc said removing will run the risk of putting eye drops in her eye possibly forever but right now we put drops twice a day, when ever she eats. Since Bulldogs are soo sensitive to anthesitia and u must do surgery then removal would be best. We are doing the removal just so we know we have nothing else to worry about. We are in Killeen, TX and being charged 119. Other vets in the area charge 400. We keep an E-collar on her until the surgery as she was sratching her eye and made it bleed some and her eye is looking even better!

April 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm
(118) Lesli says:

My 6 month old cocker spaniel has a cheery eye. I have tried to massage it back in place but it didn’t work. I took him to our puppy doctor and he is scheduled for surgery in two weeks. To have him neutered and have the cherry eye fixed is gonna cost me $77. That includes his over night stay. I don’t like the idea of having to wait so long but I hear of how much other vets cost and I just can’t afford hundreds of dollars. I live an hour north of Detroit so if there are any of you from MI, my vet is wonderful and has reasonable prices.

April 28, 2010 at 12:58 pm
(119) jgillen says:

Well I have a chocolate lab pup …hes about 6 months old and this is a first I guess because he has cherry eye and had his surgey this a.m….apparently its not been seen in labs…until today…the cost=450.00

May 3, 2010 at 3:12 pm
(120) noemi09 says:

can someone tell me where my puppy can get surgy

May 3, 2010 at 3:15 pm
(121) Nomi0907 says:

I live in New York, my puppy got cherry eye last week. can somebody tell me where I can go for low surgery cost!!!! thanks

May 22, 2010 at 11:40 am
(122) burnt elf says:

Have six cocker spaniels, four of which have had cherry eye. If it’s a young puppy you might be able to have the vet massage it back in place.

Other wise, tacking is a WASTE of money, TIME and pain for your dog. Have it removed and be done with it if your pup is over four months old.

I have never had to use dry eyes drop, my dog’s bodies did what they were supposed to do, which is adjust the mositure content once this third eyelid is removed.

June 23, 2010 at 6:39 pm
(123) kathy says:

I called the southern Arizona Veterinary plce this morning about my dogs cherry eye.Just to do the exam is over 500.00 but they told me the surgery would be around 1200.00 to 1600.00 dollars.What is wrong with these people?I am on a limited income.

June 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm
(124) Amber says:

My poor puppy is only 9 months old and both of his eyes r cherried. does anyone know of a place in tempe AZ there they will do it for less then $500?

July 16, 2010 at 12:16 pm
(125) Amber says:

My English bulldog has had cherry eye since he was very small. He is 8 months old now. I watched a video on utube on how to push it in. It doesn’t hurt him. I bought a tiny spray bottle and filled it with saline. It is much easier to push back if the eye isn’t dry. I have to do this every day. And I take baby wipes to clean around his eyes and his wrinkles. Kind of high maintenance, but that comes with the dog.

August 11, 2010 at 12:33 pm
(126) Linda says:

I have a cocker she has had cherry eye’s since she was 3 mo old she is now 8 mo. old. I have done my research. I have been quoted anywhere from $250.00 to $1,800.00 for both eyes and beleive me I have checked around for prices. I have taken her to 3 different vets….country vets and city vets, I have even called a canine ophtholmology clinic in the Dallas area I have been told that there are 3 types of surgery, removal, and 2 different surgerys where they sew….and of course NONE of the surgerys are what I want to hear….I don’t want the 85% and I don’t want the..”you will have to put drops in her eyes for the rest of her life and even then she could become BLIND”…for the money that we are spending I want a 100% guarentee!!

August 19, 2010 at 11:31 am
(127) marilyn says:

hi i have a cocker spaniel and he just resently got cherry eye i dont know what to do i just appeard for one night to the other i havent brought him to the vet because i didnt know what it was and i thought it would just go away and last night he was bleeding from his eye im scarrd for him is tha normal hes only8 months i dont know what place in ventura ca is best to go to please help me

August 28, 2010 at 1:44 am
(128) preshprincessau says:

My 9 month old Tibetan spaniel developed a cherry eye yesterday afternoon immediately upon waking from a nap. I took her to the vet as I didn’t know what it was, and she immediately recommended surgery at approx $700 (in Beenleigh, Qld, Australia). I asked about other options, so she gave me some AMACIN ointment, which I put in Millie’s eye, and a few hours later the cherry was gone. Now I guess I’ll try regular lubrication and massage if it recurrs, as I don’t think surgery is good if not really necessary. READ UP, IT SOUNDS LIKE REGULAR LUBRICATION IS A KEY TO AVOIDING COMPLICATIONS AND REDUCING SEVERITY OF THIS CONDITION. THICK DISCHARGE IS A SIGN OF THE EYE DRYING OUT – SO THE VET SAID.

September 5, 2010 at 2:37 pm
(129) Diana says:

Hey all!
We had our “mutt’s” done alone with her doggy hysterectomy (as I call it!!) total for both was 150.00 (we live in SC). This was 3 weeks ago, now she is favoring her eye and keeps it shut. I am using warm compresses and continue to keep it clean. She doesnt seem bothered as she continues to run and harass the other two dogs!! If anyone has had probs afterward..drop me a line. Thanks and good luck to you all.

September 7, 2010 at 5:57 pm
(130) Jade says:

My 16 week old Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) has cherry eye – common in this breed as well. I contacted my breeder and have researched online and really appreciate the comments – some have been very helpful. I live outside the Los Angeles area so I will contact Dr. Lee in San Diego and the Brookhaven Pet Hospital in Garden Grove. Tried contacting Dr. Buthcko in Riverside but his phone is disconnected. Please let me know if anyone else can recommend a vet/specialist/surgeon near the Los Angeles area that performs any of the correction procedures. Thanks so much!

September 9, 2010 at 7:31 pm
(131) Wostal Family English Bulldogs says:

I see this tread goes back a few years but also has recent posts. I bread english bulldogs. I had my first puppy with cherry eye last April. We called the vet as soon as we noticed it and he walked my husband through massaging it back in. We had to do it also daily for a few weeks but it stayed and she never had surgery. No problems with it since. As for the cost of different dog surgeries, it is all where you live. I know in the Madison WI area, a vet can be $500-$700 but the eye specialist at the UW Vet Clinic charge $1000+. I have friends that breed in FL and they can get it down for less then $500. I have heard an hr away from me you can get cherry eye fixed for $200. Keep in mind some of the pricing is the area but some of the pricing is the experience the vet has. Buying cheap can sometimes cause problems later, just like buying a cheap bulldog. Price is important but the experience is good too. The vet should be doing bloodwork, etc. I once heard of a vet in FL doing it for $100 an eye but no bloodwork. In rural areas where vets don’t make as much as cities, you might be able to have cheaper bills but make sure it is experienced.

Christine
wostalenglishbulldogs.weebly.com

September 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm
(132) Dash says:

My rottweiler has had a cherry eye since he was about 8 months old. As soon as i noticed it I started googling to find out what it was. i learned it was a cherry eye and that it was more bothersome to us then to the dog and is not painful at all. He is almost 3 now and i just now found out that there is a home remedy for this. most of the postings ive read say that they tried the home remedy almost as soon as they noticed the cherry eye. my question is, could the remedy still work even if its been popped out for years?