1. Home
LUCKYGRRRL asks: "My cat has end stage renal disease. I notice lately that she prefers to be left alone, sometimes going out of her way to avoid contact with her human friends and even her own kitten. My question is this: why do animals crawl away and avoid contact with other creatures before they die? Could it be that she is angry at us for not recognizing her illness earlier? Do you think that cats have that capability to hold grudges?"

Comments

August 2, 2006 at 7:11 pm
(1) Brenda says:

No, your cat is not holding a grudge. She is simply not feeling well…like humans, we tend to want to be left alone when we are sick. My kitty who had rental disease eventually just left one a.m. and never returned. I’m sure he went “off” to die in the woods. Although we never were able to find his body….

December 4, 2006 at 12:29 am
(2) jm says:

my cat has lost kidney function she hides under the bed should i leave her alone

February 9, 2008 at 12:43 am
(3) whitney says:

That really worrys me… i think my cat is very sick… shes hiding from every one. and my parents think she is fine. Shes a very mean cat and shes only nice and loves me… and i know somethings wrong. i hope she’s not hiding to go die. Shes my life.

August 9, 2008 at 7:34 am
(4) William P Marseglia says:

My girl Ebby is the only thing I got. She is avoiding me and is a real mess from surgeries on her neck. Im definateky going to the poorhouse with the bills from the vet. She must be the embodiment of my folks because this is really killing me. She came over this morning to join me at the stove maybe for the last time, I dont know. I cried enough tears to wash the dishes.

April 26, 2009 at 9:21 am
(5) robert says:

i have a 16 Y/O siamese that has started hiding. she was at a vet for 8 days with renal failure. brought her home friday and started the sub Q fluid. it isnt working now on sunday. she purs when you talk to her but has no energy. we have been keeping her on a heating pad cuz her body temp will not stay at the 101 as it is supposed to. it has been staying between 96 and 97 degrees. now this morning she hopped off the bed where her heating pad is and is hiding. i took the pad and put it where she hides but things dont look good.. this SUCKS!!!

October 6, 2009 at 2:21 pm
(6) Rachel says:

My cat used to hang out on my balcony but with the weather changing, I have had the patio door closed, so he has been going into my closet and not coming out. Also, usually when I pick him up he protests–goes a little tense and really wants to be put down..but now I pick him up and Whiskers just sort of “gives in to it” which is really not like him. He feels a little warm to me but Im not sure if that is just me projecting that (questioning myself with “was he always this warm?”).. Also, he has become more vocal than ever, another sure behavioral change. Not to sound too “crazy cat lady” but I feel like he’s trying to tell me something.
I know the pat advice here is to take him to the vet..and I plan to with next paycheck, but in meantime.. any advice or ideas?

January 3, 2010 at 7:39 pm
(7) Mister says:

Cats have an instinct to hide when they are sick. While being sick their instincts tell them that they are vulnerable to become some predator’s dinner, so they hide. IT’s nothing unusual.

June 15, 2010 at 6:04 pm
(8) Purrita says:

My cat woke up sick 3 days ago. She vomited a lot during the night. I let her go outside that morning and I haven’t seen her since. She’s only 3 and in great health. I’m searching everywhere for her. Will she come back? Has this happened to anyone else? Someone please give me a reason to hope she’ll come home.

October 10, 2010 at 6:44 pm
(9) Lisa says:

My siamese cat who is about 1 year old started drooling really bad and bad breath she had a abscess onher neck Vet lanced and drained it and gave her antibiotics said she will feel better by the next day its been 3 days she is not better not eating or drinking and hideing under bed is she dyeing?

November 14, 2010 at 1:48 am
(10) Janet says:

Purrita, she will come home. She is ill and if she has not been held or hurt, she will come home. Cats hide away when they are ill. It’s very normal. When she comes home, if she is still ill take her to a vet and find out what’s going on with her.

November 14, 2010 at 1:55 am
(11) Janet says:

Lisa, it sounds like she has eaten or come in contact with something toxic. A one year old cat doesn’t have those kinds of symptons. Coax her out and force vet approved foods and fluids down her. She won’t lke you at the time, but she will love you if she lives. I did this with my Siamese kitten and she is now a huge, healthy cat.

November 14, 2010 at 2:29 am
(12) Janet says:

Animals come into our lives and give us so much joy and they usually pass before us. My favorite cat Mai-Tai, was a seal point Siemase; she suffered liver and renal failure beore we finally put her down in 2005. I remembered Mai-Tai this morning and how I cried when she passed. The Vet wanted to drive me home and she sent me a card saying how sorry she was for my loss. I sat in the back seat of my car in their parking lot for an hour holding her after she passed and we burried her in our backyard.

I loved Mai-Tai so much. We still have four other cats and a young Siamese named Tai. She is a hellion. She is part Lynx and meaner than heck but we love her. I have owned eight cats, and I can say that they will generally take care of themselves when they are ill. Sometimes, however, they can’t take cae of themselves and that is when we intervene. When they are really ill, we need to help them and take them to a Vet. It is just knowing when they are ill and when they are really ill. I have cats puking in my house all the time, but I don’t get upset. However, when a cat hides away and doesn’t come out to eat, drink, or poo for a few days, then I have reason to worry and that cat is going to the Vet.

November 14, 2010 at 2:43 am
(13) Jamet says:

Cats are such wonderful pets. They are so independent, so loving, and need so little care. But that doesn’t mean they don’t need love or care. They actually need a lot of love and care and will give back to you what you give to them; just not in a a dog way. The most rewarding thing you can experience is a cat crawling into your lap and trusting you enough to sleep there. Cats are all about trust.

November 14, 2010 at 2:47 am
(14) Janet says:

I just realized that my name, Janet, is the same as the sponsor of this blog. Comments10, 11, and 12 are from me and not from Janet’s Veterinary Medicine Blog. I am sorry if I confused anyone.