1. Home
GENIHANNA asks: "I adopted an abandoned puppy hanging around my neighborhood. I had seen him for about a month and fed him a little. Eventually, he adopted me. I took him to the vet last week. Turns out he is around 2 years old, weighs about 30 pounds and is "as close to a pure-bred Cocker Spaniel as you can get" - that's the good news. I was told he has heartworms and according the doctor it will be "a couple hundred dollars for the treatment" - but the nurse handed me an estimate for closer to $1000! What do I do?"

Comments

August 1, 2006 at 4:01 pm
(1) Bob says:

I dont know

August 1, 2006 at 4:03 pm
(2) Stacy says:

pay up

August 28, 2006 at 9:37 am
(3) Shannon says:

I just completed heartworm treatment for my Dane and it cost $765.00. The treatment cost is weight based, at least that is what I was told by my vet.

September 14, 2006 at 12:11 am
(4) Emily says:

I just did a minature pinscher that adopted me and it was $400. If you don’t treat your dog, he WILL die from heartworms. If you Google heartworm pics you will see what a horrible thing it is for the dogs to live with.

February 19, 2008 at 8:08 pm
(5) Mary says:

I’d take a second job to save his life if I had to. I just adopted one too but was told about $400, based on weight. I’d question the vet as to why it was so much more than quoted. Could have been an unforseen complication?

August 27, 2008 at 1:25 pm
(6) Sarah says:

I’d suggest you find a different vet and get some estimates. An emergency vet will be alot more expensive than other vets, and you can ALWAYS find a vet that will go a little bit cheaper. I live in Maryland, and if you’re close by, I’d try Rocky Gorge Animal Hospital. They are incredibly cheap when you consider their service, and they have a wonderful track record. If you’re not close by, I suggest you get in touch with them and see if they know of anyone in your area.

December 5, 2008 at 1:17 pm
(7) charity says:

hello my dog just started heartworm traetment on wed. i orginally took her to the vet which i found out she tested positive for heartworms. That vet gave me a price of 1,200 bucks to treat. I was very upset by the cost so i took her to my friends vet that she recommend and the treatment is only costing 380.00 dollars she is a greyhound lab mix and is a larger dog. she is also getting the 3 injections which is the more effective treatment, after hearing your story it is my advice that you get a second opition most vets cant determine how bad or what stage it is and the cost until they do xrays and bloodwork to determine treatment

January 21, 2009 at 10:31 pm
(8) Jake says:

just rescued a 80lb yel lab 5yr heartworm pos, i went to local non-profit animal/vet service, they were very helpful, all shots+hrtwrm test $80 said would be $160 for the final treatment, two injections on two different days back to back, then 6wks rest, check your area for non-profits, i’m in austin, tx

February 6, 2009 at 8:38 am
(9) vivian says:

my brother’s dog (also a rescue off the street) tested heartworm pos. he went to his local SPCA and they have lower prices than private veterinarians. check your local animal welfare orgs. I would suggest verifying/confirming that they are using the latest, greatest treatment.

February 10, 2009 at 12:26 pm
(10) Sara says:

JAKE–> Where did you go?? I’m in Austin too and my vet told me $800.

March 13, 2009 at 10:57 pm
(11) Janet in Greensboro NC says:

I have a rescue 5year old chichuhua had him a year and 1/2 maybe closer to two years. He weighs 4 lbs and is in a stage 2 of heart worms we will start the treatment next Wednesday and I am scared to death something may happen to him during this treatment.
with him being a yappy and happy type of dog and not still. How did you all keep your dogs still and calm? I had a person to suggest in caring him around in a papoose type of thing they call it a baby snuggely should I go this far? I don’t want to make him weak and not let him walk around, but this sounds so scarry in letting him do any type of movement
My vet so far was 339.0 for xrays and blood work next week when they do the shots its another 250. or little more. Im estimating all said and done about 800.to 1000.
If I had to rescue this little guy again I would in heart beat.
Janet in NC

April 4, 2009 at 3:39 pm
(12) Lesley says:

Sara- I’m also in Austin and I’m guessing EmanciPet. I haven’t called them yet, but I will on Monday. They’re low cost for other services, so I think this may be who Jeff was referring to.

July 20, 2009 at 8:05 pm
(13) brenda says:

i rescued a 16 month old yorkie and took him to the vet he has heartworms .has allready cost me 500 dollars and he just had his first shot. im so scare .how log do they have to stay in the crate .he crys wanting out and it is breaking my heart. i go and sit with him and talk to him but he wants out to play .

September 24, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(14) Heather says:

THIS IS MY OPIONION AND EXPERIENCES, BUT IT IN NO WAY REPLACES A DOCTORS ADVCE!!
Do not let the dog get to excited if there heart rate is too fast it is dangerous. Sometimes it can’t be avioded but try. I noticed my fosters stayed calmer when hey had companionship either near me, or their cage near another dog’s. Another trick is music or the TV when you can’t be near them and covering their cage like you would a bird’s. I am on my third heartwom treatment and things seem to be going well. If you let the dog out to use the bathroom and they are runners they need to be leashed.

June 2, 2011 at 2:49 am
(15) DONNA JACKSON says:

WE HAVE 5 DOGS, ALL ON INTERCEPTOR & LIVE IN AR. OUR TWO LARGER, OUTSIDE DOGS HAVE GOTTEN HEARTWORMS REGARDLESS OF THE FACT THEY ARE GIVEN THE PREVENTATIVE ON THE 15 TH OF EVERY MONTH & DEUCE HAS HAD TREATMENT TWICE. CALLIE HAS TESTED POSITIVE FOR THE 3RD TIME & IS GOING IN THIS MORNING TO START TREATMENT. SHE WILL BE IN THE VET’S CARE FOR 2 WEEKS! WHEN SHE COMES HOME SHE WILL HAVE RESTRICTED ACTIVITIES ( KENNEL) FOR 2 MORE WEEKS. LAST TIME SHE DUG OUT OF THE 6 FTX 6 FT X 4 FT KENNEL ENCLOSURE. SHE WANTED FREEDOM. WHAT I DON’T UNDERSTAND IS WHY THEY KEEP FAILING TO BE PROTECTED. IS IT THAT—OR BECAUSE NOVARTIS PAYS OVER $1000 FOR TREATMENT –ARE VETS “TREATING” A WHOLE LOT MORE DOGS??? I AM BESIDE MYSELF BECAUSE I KNOW DEUCE’S YEARLY IS COMING UP IN SEPT. NONE OF MY INSIDE DOGS HAVE EVER TESTED POSITIVE! I KNOW THEY ARE EXPOSED LESS TO MOSQUITOS BUT STILL!

July 6, 2011 at 11:41 am
(16) Twila says:

Donna that’s the issue we just ran into our dog has been on heartworm prevention and just had his yearly test and it came back positive, we just moved from Arkansas in December. We are shocked to say the least and now even more worried about the treatment since ours is an older dog. How much pain are they in usually ?

July 7, 2011 at 10:15 am
(17) Kyle says:

Jake, where is the non-profit vet in Austin? We are moving to Austin soon. Thanks.

September 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm
(18) trish says:

If you have your dog on preventative medication for the whole year. Then have it tested yearly. The company you get the medication from will pay for the treatment.

April 7, 2012 at 11:56 pm
(19) shannon k d says:

Now I am freaked out! We just adopted a dog on Fri. April 6,2012 and she was hearworm positive and treated on March 23. We were never told to keep her “inactive” for any amout of time. We have played with her and taken her for several walks. I have never dealt with Heartworm before, so didn’t know how important it was to keep them quiet. I guess I would’ve thought the shelter, since they are paying for the treatment and preventitive, would’ve informed us of this. But maybe the Vet didn’t tell them how important it was. She wil be going to our vet ASAP! She’s such a sweet dog and I hope we haven’t done anymore harm to her. Thanks for all the awesome info.

June 7, 2013 at 2:28 pm
(20) john mcdonald says:

I have a pit bull by the name of Sheba. she was just diagnosed with heartworms yesterday.she will be undergoing a series of shots starting on this coming Monday. I feel so bad for her getting this horrible disease.
my vetvsays the cost will be $700 to take care of her
to be quite honest I would have paid much more.
she is an awesome dog andmember of our family how do you put a price on that.
pitbulls get a bad rap. I personally think any dog would be mean if that’s how you raise them.
our dog has never been aggressive whatsoever towards anyone or its friend which is a chow our other dod.

March 31, 2014 at 8:56 am
(21) the beast says:

this is so horible my dog has heartworms and i am so worryed that she will die