1. Home
MUSICMARY asks: "My cat is a neutered ginger tom, about 13 years old. Over the last few months he has deteriorated; fur has gone horrible, loss of appetite, and vomiting. He has had blood tests for everything and the vet has found nothing. Steroid tablets have stopped the vomiting, but now he has no energy and has started to eat soil, and lick pebbles. Any ideas?

Comments

July 17, 2006 at 8:47 am
(1) Cathy Thompson says:

Hi – my cat is currently suffering from kidney damage and is also eating soil. When I did I search, I first found your query and then found the following link, which I think you will find helpful (although you may have uncovered this already yourself) – http://www.vitalityscience.com/Cat_Vomiting_Causes_Of_Cat_Vomiting_s/26.htm. If it doesn’t work for you Google in Cats eating soil and it will be the second link under yours. All the very best to you and the cat!

April 7, 2007 at 1:03 pm
(2) Sylvia Jackson says:

My cat also eats soil and licks pebbles and has lost a lot of weight, he has been diagnosed with a tumor in his intestine.
We treat him with Zeolite drops + TLC and live in hope.

April 5, 2008 at 1:06 am
(3) Sandra MacMillan says:

The cat i am caring for is losing weight at a rapid weight. The vet says its teeth related and needs teeth out but i have a gut feeling its much worse. Hobbes has balance problems,he keeps flicking his ears. Wont eat a drop. Bleeding in gums, eats the soil from plants. I suppose to take him in on mon for teeth surgery. i dont feel he’s strong enough to recover. Can you offer me some advice before Mon. Thanks

March 27, 2009 at 11:48 pm
(4) Mary says:

This is to Cathy, who replied first. That link is for a COMMERCIAL product!! Shame on you!
For everyone else: My cat is dying from Kidney disease, and lately he licks the soil whenever he goes outside. I’ve been told by friends he may have a mineral deficiency, as he drinks and urinates a TON of water a day.
It is heartbreaking to see your kitty die like this, but he still eats good, and doesn’t seem to be in any pain.

May 7, 2009 at 6:43 pm
(5) micky tweedale says:

My 12 year old female cat also started losing weight, and drinking a lot of water, and also licking soil, and licking the york stone paving slabs in the garden. but she eats well, and does not seem to be in any pain……I guessed from reading about this, that she has kidney disease…..

April 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm
(6) Anne says:

My elderly cat of nearly 19yrs passed away 3wks ago. She began to lick paving stones, drink more water and eat a lot less for the last 4wks of her life. She lost a lot of weight, and seemed very forgetful, we needed to remind her when to do everything.

She died very peacefully and didn’t show that she was in any pain. A great loss to our family nevertheless.

July 3, 2013 at 12:12 pm
(7) Lizzy says:

hi. i have this female tuxedo cat who has been eating dirt. i’m afraid she might have anmeia or Kidney problems.please help me!

January 1, 2014 at 11:29 am
(8) Kat says:

I have 5 months old baby girl and she started to eat soil very frequently…we know it can be sign of anemia, tumor, leukemia, kidney disease, going to vet and just hoping she has only parasite inside of her that can be treated just by the wormer pill.