1. Home
DNAPAL asks: "our 7 year old mongrel is swollen on both sides of his throat - looks like someone suffering from mumps. The vet has prescribed amoxicillin. He doesn't look like he is in pain and is quite active, but doesn't look normal. Can anybody out there tell me what it could be?"

Comments

July 11, 2006 at 3:38 am
(1) rutay says:

Hi. I have the same thing happening to my dog. First it’s his mouth that was swollen and then it the neck started to swell as well. The lump was hard and it is spreading. He did not lose his appetite and is still playful but he easily gets tired of standing nowadays. He still eats well. I am really worried. It’s been four days.

April 10, 2007 at 2:45 pm
(2) joan kaufman says:

My one year old german shepherd has the same thing, looks like she has the mumps. What is it? Vet has her on an antibiotic but it doesn’t seem to help.

September 8, 2007 at 11:44 pm
(3) jb brown says:

just finished a bout of mumps and am worried if my dog is at risk- about antibiotics-they don’t work on mumps- the mumps just have to pass out of the body- read about mumps on line-

October 2, 2007 at 7:31 am
(4) shaira says:

my dog looks like he has a mumps,. how can i treat it?,. is that can be cure? and how many days he will suffer this disease?,.

December 21, 2008 at 12:01 am
(5) Rhornez says:

well my dog suffered some unusual disease or infection that is similar to the mumps and died today could it be that? she was trying to breathe and didnt want to lay down and sit around and kept using the bathroom she was taken to the vet and with no hope she died could that be the mumps?

January 8, 2009 at 9:47 am
(6) KIM says:

I THINK THESE DOGS ARE SUFFERING FROM SALIVARY GLAND INFECTIONS, ANTIBIOTICS ARE USED AND SOMETIMES THE GLANDS CAN BE SURGICALLY REMOVED

February 2, 2009 at 4:22 pm
(7) Brittany says:

my st. bernard also has a swollen neck and face. i have took her to two different vets and they have given her antibiotics that dont help.she lost five pounds within a week and has lost her appitite and isnt active at all anymore.Also she has been slobbering alot. i think it looks like she has the mumps but does anyone know anything that can help???? Her head has almost doubled in size and i think the veterians that we took her too had there head too far up there ass to actualy know what was wrong with her

February 2, 2009 at 4:24 pm
(8) brittany says:

my email address is brittany_390@yahoo.com. please email me if you know what might be wrong with my dog.

June 4, 2009 at 8:55 pm
(9) Anna says:

A similar problem happened with my dog where a lump appeared on his neck. He was given a course of antibiotics although this did not seem to treat the problem. He was still really active and hadn’t lost his appetite. As the lump grew to a considerable size he was operated on where a small piece of a twig was found in his throat which had caused an infection.

i’m making a comment as the vet originally thought the lump could be a salivary gland infection.
I would urge anyone with a dog to never throw sticks for them as it can obviously be very dangerous not to mention worrying!
all the best with your dogs. i hope they get better soon.

January 24, 2010 at 11:56 pm
(10) Maria says:

My nearly one-year-old German Shepherd went to the vet this morning. We found a tennis-ball-sized lump in his throat on the weekend. (It looked like he had swallowed a ball!) A vet friend suggested that it was most likely a bee sting and we should give some Loratadine antihistamine, which we did. However the swelling was still there this morning and was more the size of a softball. Took him to the vet, they sedated him and removed a fine needle-like twig 2″ long from him which had pierced through his tonsil. He has a drain in now to remove the abscess pus, and antibiotics. Get it checked!

March 19, 2010 at 1:06 pm
(11) missy says:

My 2 1/2 week old Great Dane pups 3 out of 7 got hard lumps on the neck which spread to under their throat look like logger head turtles. Couldn’t get into a vet for 5 days when I called gave my own antibiotics lump started to soften. Stuck it with a needle started to drain looked alot better Friday morning. Took them to the vet she says MUMPS never heard of such until today. She did the same thing that I had started doing. I was given antibiotics and told to drain on the softest area if it happens again. It is also highly contigeous.

June 20, 2010 at 9:52 pm
(12) Joyce says:

my dog went to the vet last Frieday..was given anti-biotics…Friday she had one lump, today (Sunday) She is swollen on both sides and won’t eat…..I wonder if it is mumps

December 6, 2010 at 5:13 am
(13) Adele says:

My 4 year old golden retriever suddenly swelled up round her neck, mouth and nose 3 days ago. There was a dead bee in her water-bowl so i thought that was the problem. I was completely shocked when the vet told me that she has Lymphoma and a temperature of 40 degrees. She showed no signs of illness before that.They have done a blood smear and a needle aspiration and are of the opinion that this is the correct diagnosis. This morning I took her for a second opnion which was much the same becuase of the huge lymph glands which have come up.

March 17, 2011 at 9:52 am
(14) grace candido says:

my dog has a lump as large as a apple it is hard now the lump has changed it sharp know it is completly like his glands or he has mumps. Is there any changed that dogs get mumps?