1. Home
Canine Cutaneous Histiocytomas are typically a "young dog disease", angry-looking small growths that appear suddenly and usually go away on their own in a few weeks. What are they? Click here for more information and a photo. It is always best to check out any new lump or bump on your pet with your veterinarian -- some growths and skin conditions can be quite serious!

Linda457 asks: "My dog started with a small red bump on the inside edge of his ear leather that grew into a large red shiny growth within days. The vet did a needle biopsy to rule out cancer and said the growth would dissipate back into his system. She said to remove it would either leave a chunk out of his ear or a pucker and I didn't want either. I decided to "wait and see" before putting him through surgery and within three weeks, the growth was gone! Has anyone experienced one of these histiocytomas on their dog?"

Comments

August 12, 2006 at 1:04 am
(1) Marge says:

Yes Linda, my pit bull had a rapidly growing, ulcerated histiocytoma above her paw that did resolve on it’s own. I was so freaked out that it could be a mast cell tumor that I had a needle aspiration done to be sure before letting it alone. That was last year, now tonight I was petting her and I felt another bump at her elbow- now I can’t believe that I maybe have to go through all this worry again.

October 15, 2006 at 6:26 pm
(2) karen neill says:

My dog had lump above eye and one on elbow they were black now the one above eye looks red like the skin and hair came off he is a black lab. I will have to get it checked have been watching it about a month.

December 1, 2006 at 4:02 pm
(3) Tonya says:

My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel had this just a week ago. We caught it right away therefore it was under the skin. We had a needle aspiration done also which showed no cancer. Our vet told us to remove the lump though because it would come back again. It was better to have the surgery once than to have this condition again. We then had a biopsy done which came back to be just fine. The biopsy was done at MSU which the vet’s there stated these “lumps” should be surgically removed for best results.

December 4, 2006 at 6:00 pm
(4) Diane says:

My 7 month old maltese had one of these on his front left “elbow,” the vet suggested I allow him to surgically remove it immediately and send it for biopsy – good news was it was benign, bad news $500 for the surgery – not even 2 weeks later I noticed 2 more of the same kind of cysts on the back of each of his legs… this time I am going to leave them and monitor the situation to see if they do indeed regress on thier own. I think it was good to go through the surgery first to know for sure what it was – now I can more comfortably monitor the situation knowing what is going on and knowing my puppy is not in pain or at risk.

December 7, 2006 at 10:15 pm
(5) jennifer says:

my american staffordshire (aka pit bull) is only ten months and i noticed a smal red bump that has doubled in size over the last month and a half on the inside of his right ear. i have made two trips to the vet, they are wanting me to watch it over the next two weeks and are telling me that it will go away on its own. he did not want to stick a needle in it for a biopsy, because he said it would bleed too much. i guess this is common in young dogs and certain breeds {mastiff, pit bulls, boxers,)
(short haired, tight-skinned dogs). i am still a lil’ nervous. my vet says cancers rarely develop in such young pups!

January 7, 2007 at 11:38 am
(6) Cristie says:

My 8 month Yorkie had this removed last week. It appeared within 2 days on the front of her neck. The vet removed it immediately and sent off to be tested ($300). Needle aspiration was not even mentioned.

February 24, 2007 at 4:42 am
(7) tom says:

Our 13 month old boxer cross-breed is showing these decribed lumps. Two are around his neck/collar area, one on the pinna and one on the inner hind leg. We are going to monitor these after reading about them and if any develops seek veterinarian advice. With any luck they will go away.

May 10, 2007 at 3:28 pm
(8) Becky says:

Our Westie (1-1/2 years old) was just diagnosed with this on the back of his front elbow. It appeared out of nowhere – bright red – and I thought it might have been an infection from a tickbite. Our vet was confident in her diagnosis so we didn’t send out for a biopsy, but she told us to monitor it and to remove it only if he chews at it or it grows bigger. She said it would go away on its own within few weeks. No treatment was required, except for time.

September 5, 2007 at 12:25 pm
(9) cherie says:

My 3 yr old Boxer got a red shiny bump on her lip. We took her to the vet a week ago and he said it was a hystiocytoma and gave a topical ointment to help reduce it. It is now a week later and has grown in size, say, the half of a grape. I took her today to the vet. He said it could take a couple months for it to go away. He gave options, such as needle aspiration but said it was so vascular that the specimen could be “dirty” and wouldn’t get clear results or surgerically remove it ($300). That’s what is being done for my peace of mind and if it is cancerous, its been removed. If not, that’s even better. So she’s probably in surgery right now. I’ll let you know the outcome after the biopsy results come in.

October 3, 2007 at 11:53 am
(10) anna says:

my 8 month old westie just developed a red bump that looks like the one in the picture. her’s is on her cheek. i spoke to another westie owner and their dog had the same thing. their vet was confident it was benign. i’m going to wait and watch it, then take her in if it starts to change.

December 8, 2007 at 11:12 am
(11) Philippa says:

My 7 month old whippet pup just had a suspected histiocytoma removed from behind an ear. The vet said that since the pup scratched at the lump there was too much risk of ulceration and infection so we went straight for surgery. I won’t know for sure what the lump was until we get reports back from laboratory.

January 15, 2008 at 7:13 pm
(12) Linda says:

I have a 2 year old black lab that has this on his cheek. It came out of no where on Christmas morning and is the size of a pea on 1/15/2007. We just returned from the vet. he recomended that I just watch his and he thinks it will go away on it’s own. If it grows in size I am to contact the vet. and surgery will be done. We are waiting to see. All the comments above made me feel much better about the waiting. Thanks everyone.

June 18, 2008 at 1:26 am
(13) Tracy says:

I noticed a pea-sized bump under our 14 month old lab’s ear just a few days ago and thought maybe it was a tick? Yesterday our veterinarian said that due to his young age, it’s likely a histiocytoma and has a 90% chance of going away on it’s own. He did pull off the hair/skin to visually diagnosis it and it became an open ulcer but it’s healing well. We were given the option of surgical removal and biopsy for ~$280. We decided to wait which is what he recommended.

September 22, 2008 at 2:24 pm
(14) Lindae says:

My 6 yr old Lab/Border Collie mix started with a lump on her face about 4 months ago. I took her to the vet who thought it was a Cutaneous Histiocytoma and recommended to let it got away by itself. It got bigger and red and raw looking. I took her back to the vet (after a month) and he did an asperation and had it checked. It came back confirming Histiocytoma. I made an appointment to have it removed due to how big it was and on her upper lip. It appeared to be going away so we cancelled the surgery. About 2 weeks ago these things started coming up all over her and over night. She now has about 30 of them all over her. The vet removed one for biopsy and asperated another one. The asperation came back “consistant with a Histiocytoma but acting like melanoma or lymphoma”. I’m still waiting for results of the biopsy on the removed one. Every day she has more of them all over her. She looks pitiful but acts totally normal. Believe me, I’m scared to death.

November 7, 2008 at 2:14 am
(15) Jackie says:

Has anone’s dog had a hard lump on his/her back abour 1/4″ from his spine? Could it be cancer?

December 26, 2008 at 9:34 pm
(16) Barbara says:

My papillon has a small hard lump on the side of her neck. It just came up suddenly and is under the skin, not red.
What is this?

December 26, 2008 at 9:37 pm
(17) Barbara says:

My 4 month old papillon has suddenly developed a small hard lump under her neck skin. What would this be?

December 27, 2008 at 4:29 pm
(18) Marlanna says:

My 2 yr old american staffordshire terrier has had something that looks to be a histiocytoma on his toe for about 2 weeks. I did not pay much attention to it at first bc him and my other dog play rough often and thought he had just bumped it, but now I don’t think so. I searched strawberry sore and that is what a histiocytoma was being described as looking like. I plan on taking him to the vet on Monday, but wanted to get any additional info from experience. It tends to scab up and then reopens on its own, is this normal? Any help is greatly appreciated!

December 31, 2008 at 1:59 pm
(19) Shawna says:

My dog just had one of these removed from the inside of his ear…the vet didn’t even mention needle aspirate…just wanted to take it off, she said it looked suspicious. Now that I’ve done some research I realize it could have gone away on it’s own and saved me the surgery bill and him going through surgery, but it’s gone and hopefully never returns.

January 9, 2009 at 4:50 pm
(20) Ryan Kempston says:

I went to the vet when my 5 month old silver dapple dachshund had a small eraser sized red lump under his armpit. The Vet said that it was a histiocytoma, and most other histiocytomas were on the face/head (he said about 90% were on the face/head) The vet said it was nothing to worry about and he could if we wanted to remove it. But he said that would be costly and unnecessary. So he just suggested to get a thing of peroxide and cotton pads and “aggressively” rub the hystiocytoma twice a day. he said it would take a little more that ten days to dissipate.

February 14, 2009 at 8:08 pm
(21) breanna says:

my pitbull puppies has a quarter size knot on her leg abover her paw that was just a knot and now its like an open sore didnt know if someone could point me in the right direction

June 14, 2009 at 5:01 pm
(22) mfm says:

My six month old Corgie-Black Lab mix (believe it or not!!) has a mass on his neck that the vet believes is a histiocytoma. It will be removed tomorrow morning. He never suggested waiting for it to resolve over time. Perhaps because of the location, where his collar causes a lot of irritation. It could be worse but it is still disconcerting.

June 17, 2009 at 5:23 am
(23) Linda 311 says:

I was told by the vet that my 7 year old heading dog has it. The vet took two off him and got them checked out. The first appeared over a month ago and he now has 8 in different locations on his body. They are alittle different tho as they still have hair growing on them. The vet is unsure as they should go away and there shouldn’t be so many of them and hairy.

November 8, 2009 at 6:00 am
(24) linda 008 says:

my 7 month old min poodle has a pea size red lump on the fold of his outer ear, i took him to the vet they said it was possibly a histiocytoma they started him on an antibiotic course just in case and are monitoring him until next fri , if there is no change they will remove it surgically that day

November 16, 2009 at 11:47 pm
(25) Wilson says:

Our 3-month old cocker spaniel has a pea-sized lump on his rear flank, just as pictured. I thought I might be being an overly-concerned parent and called to speak with a nurse, and then brought him in to see the vet. Since he’s not off his food, ill, showing any other symptoms or chewing at it, the vet’s not very worried, but we had a needle aspiration done anyway, just to rule out anything worrisome. Was thinking to pick up some bitter apple spray to prevent him from starting to chew on it. Best wishes to all the other puppies out there with histiocytomas in more uncomfortable places!!

January 6, 2010 at 2:03 pm
(26) Tim says:

I have a 2 year old Wheaton Scottish Terrier. He had a hystiocytoma under his right eye. The vet removed it and had it tested at a lab ($380.00). Within a month another one was back in the same spot. The vet has removed this one as well and did a blood panel to ensure something wasnt going on with his immune system ($350.00). My research shows that Scottish Terriers are in the target group for susceptible canines to get these. I have never heard of anyone having one come back in the same spot after surgical removal.

January 21, 2010 at 12:39 am
(27) Cheryl says:

Any lump on your dog should always be checked by your veterinarian to be sure it is not cancer, as suggested above by a needle biopsy. Histiocytomas, can and often do go away on their own. Two easy to find remedies I have used are Preparation H, don’t laugh, and Compound W. Use either twice daily and in the case of the former if you can keep it bandaged it usually goes away faster…

January 26, 2010 at 5:27 pm
(28) Lars says:

I found one of these on my 13 month old Lab/ Great Dane on the underside of his mouth. Took him to the vet and they said surgery the next day for $650 dollars and it could be cancerous. What a word!! Did some research, found you guys and now feel much better. It’s nothing and will go away with some positive thinking.Now looking for a new vet in the Tampa Bay area.

January 26, 2010 at 5:38 pm
(29) vetmedicine says:

Please note – articles are provided for information only. Diagnoses cannot be made via a photo or article on the Internet. It is always best to check out any new lump or bump on your pet with your veterinarian — some growths and skin conditions can be quite serious.

February 6, 2010 at 9:41 am
(30) Nina says:

My sheltie had 4 lumps removed about 1 1/2 moths ago. They turned out to be hiscytomas. He now is getting six little ones mostly right next to the incisions. I wonder if these will dissapear or is there any treatment for them?

February 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm
(31) Bev says:

My 5 yr old scottie has a histiocytoma on the first joint on his leg, about the size of a quarter. It did split, while I was gone. Do you use Prep H separately from Compound W?
My other scottie had one several yrs before and they do go away by them selves. This one is so accessable to licking, I TRY to keep it bandaged. I will try one of your creams.

February 18, 2010 at 11:26 am
(32) Pat says:

Our 9-month old boxer mix just developed one of this on her elbow a few weeks ago. The vet said they are very common on young dogs and it would get larger and larger and then just vanish. It doesn’t seem to be painful or bothering her. In fact, she doesn’t seem to know it is even there. But it looks just like the one in the picture and for now, we are just keeping an eye on it.

March 8, 2010 at 8:23 pm
(33) Craig B says:

My 5 year old male Boxer has had 3 surgically removed over the past 4 years.

The first one was on his upper right chest, the second in the corner of his right eyelid, and the third on his front left toe.

In all three cases these were only growing larger, also they would get “nicked” & bleed during play. All 3 were “needled” by the vet and identifed as benign Histiocytoma’s. All 3 were removed and have not grown back.

My Boxer has also had 1 in his ear. It was a dime sized, ring-shaped angry red “blister” at first. The vet scoped it out, and we left it alone. After 3 months, my vet aspirated the growth with a fine needle… two weeks later it had healed up and disappeared.

April 11, 2010 at 3:02 am
(34) Laura says:

Be careful diagnosing your animal by other ‘lay people’ opinions. I am a vet and have seen skin cancer (malignant) in dogs (less likely cats) less than 2 years of age. Anyone with any opinion (not fact or from accredited education) can post information on the Internet. It is always best to be seen by a DVM, and hopefully one who is trustworthy.

May 19, 2010 at 3:56 pm
(35) manic724 says:

My one yr old female boxer has had lump on top of head since 3 months old getting bigger and bigger.Not Raw open or runny ?as dicribed by most but still scared cancer one vet says maybe scar tissue??? Dont recall anytime!!!EVER had accident on top of head??? I fear it is cancer like a woman wound notice lump in breast.Husband says i am overreacting??

June 4, 2010 at 1:07 pm
(36) E.C.B. says:

several weeks ago I saw my 3 year old Scottie licking and licking at his paw-I immediately took a look and found an oval shaped red lump on the outer side of his left front paw-went to vet (I live in S. America)and they immediately told me “everything that should not be there, should be removed”,nevertheless they gave me a cortison cream to apply for 7 days-on the fourth day,the lump looked the same or larger to me so back I went to the vet and it was decided to plan for surgery-it seemed to be only skin level (no deeper) and so it was-no talk of needle biopsies here-10 days later the stitches were removed and only today did I get the result of the biopsy (took over 20 days)-they told me it had been a HISTIOCYTOMA-BENIGN-as I won’t get anymore info till next week,all I have read here as far as explanation and comments has really been a huge help !-I felt much more tranquil having it removed than waiting..especially as my previos Scotties had tumors ,some of which were malignant-thank you for your help with this site !!By thw way,here the anestesia,surgery,removal of stitches and biopsy cost the equivalent of about US$ 130-

June 9, 2010 at 8:52 am
(37) pam friedman says:

We found one on our havanese puppy and removed it because she had never had one before and we were concerned. Now we know it was benign and will never remove them next time – if there is a next time. Ti seems that they go away on their own.

June 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm
(38) Rona Stevenson says:

Our 2 year old golden retriever had an irritated spot on his elbow where the hair disappeared and he started to lick at the spot. He had also been playing with a couple of young boxers who tend to “play” aggressively, nipping at his shins and ears and we thought it might be a bite (although it didn’t look like one, really). I took our dog to the vet, who took a slide of some cells and diagnosed a histiocytoma with some infection. After a week of antibiotics and making our poor dog wear a long-sleeve tshirt to prevent him from licking constantly at his elbow, sure enough, within two weeks, hair was growing back and the irritated lump was history. However, I do not regret getting our golden boy checked out. If it had been malignant and we’d delayed in seeking treatment I wouldn’t have forgiven myself.

June 19, 2010 at 1:11 pm
(39) RJ Anne says:

We have a ten year (yes, 10) old long haired
dachshund. One of these hystiocitomas
appeared out of no where in between the
toes on his right front foot. We had it
biopsied; it was benign. It has grown over
the past three weeks. He gets dressing changes almost daily. It appears to be
getting a bit smaller now. It is a scary thing to
detect. Get your pet checked by your vet if you see one. Our vet has told us that it will
regress on its own in time. They are not as
common in older dogs, but they still can
get them.

August 3, 2010 at 11:05 pm
(40) Maureen says:

My 1 yr old pug had a small histiocytoma on his ear it was tested and is benign. The doctor said it would take anywhere from 2-6 months to go away and their was no treatment except surgery to remove it and unless Oaklie was uncomfortable which he isn’t, they did feel putting a dog under for cosmetic reasons was a good ideal since he has already been put under twice within a year. It looks more like its drying up but is their anything I can do to speed it up.

August 23, 2010 at 1:28 pm
(41) Cathy says:

Our 3 yr. old grand-dog is a Boston Terrier. A Cutaneous Histiocytoma was discovered under his front paw. The vet said it’s usually benign & will go away on its own within a few wks. & is common in this breed of dog. We decided not to do a needle biopsy since we didn’t want to distrub the cells. It does seem to bother the dog as he’s often seen licking it but is able to run & play as usual.

August 28, 2010 at 12:52 am
(42) James says:

My two and a half year old mini schnauzer developed one one of these nasty looking lumps on his left front toe. Grew very quickly in less than two weeks. Uppn having him seen by the vet he said it most likely was a histiocytoma and that it should go away on it’s own. Several options were discussed including biopsies or needle aspirations, even removal, but the vet recommended just keeping an eye on it for several weeks to see if it changes before undergoing any further actions. He also said to apply campho-phinique to the area as it would help dry it out as well as numb it a little plus help prevent him from licking it and causing it to become lacerated. Hopefully it resolves itself in time because if it has to be removed, due to the location on the toe, the nail would have to be removed too so they could suture him up. Definately a scary time waiting and watching!

September 23, 2010 at 2:50 pm
(43) Gwen says:

We just found a rasin-sized red lump on our 1yr old pug’s belly two days ago. I took him to the vet immediately and was surprised when the vet said it was a tumor (histiocytoma). He gave us a topical ointment to apply 3 times a day for 2 weeks. If it doesn’t appear to be going away, he suggested we go thru with the surgery. Should I wait? If these things take at least 3 months to go away, isn’t 2 weeks a little quick for surgery? Plus, this vet is charging $600-800 for it!

October 20, 2010 at 7:20 am
(44) Barb says:

My 1 year old beagle developed a pea size lump on her chin almost overnight. It got a little larger and looked like bubble gum. Called the vet and was told it was common in dogs 6months to 2 years old and appear on front half of body, it would go away within 3 months. He told me to google histiocytoma, and I could bring her in if I wanted. After reading how much people were charged, I waited. It took almost 2 months but now it is gone. Only problem I had was that it was on her chin and she is a beagle with her nose always to the ground. It did bleed a few times so I put on peroxide on it and everything was fine.

November 2, 2010 at 12:31 am
(45) joanne says:

my 3 1/2 year old boston terrier developed a histiocytoma on her right elbow 2 weeks ago. My vet suggested removal and biopsy then to lab. It came back benign. I would never wait and see. To me it was worth the 355.00 (removal and lab work) vs. worry and misery for a few weeks. Hopefully we will never have to go thru this again. good luck to you all!

May 27, 2011 at 10:41 am
(46) Frances says:

I have just taken my 9 month old French Bulldog to my vet, as he had a shiny lump on the elbow of his front left leg, it started as a smallish red mark, a couple of weeks ago, (which I thought was a scab, where he is always rough and tumbling with my other pup) the red colour went, to be replaced with a shiny skin colour lump, my vet straight away said it was a cutaneous histiocytoma, and nothing to worry about, he said it should go away on its own in a few weeks, as it was already in its healing process and no medication was needed, the only way it would need removed surgically, was if my pup, started to chew at it.

June 8, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(47) Mona Pihlamae says:

Our soon two year old dalmatian had a growth like that on is ear. It started out small, but grew big very fast. Since we had to take him to the vet’s to have a x-ray done , we showed the growth to the doctor too. He said that it is a common thing and nothing dangerous. The dog had to be put under for the x-ray anyway, so he just removed the growth as well. I’m feeling much more at ease now.

July 8, 2011 at 7:01 pm
(48) Laurie says:

We have an american bull dog she is almost a year three weeks ago I notice a lump by her nose I thought she got stung or something it kept on getting bigger so we took her to the vets, she said it was a histiocytoma and said it wasnt cancer and it should go away on its own. It looks awful , the vet said she didnt want to do the surgery because it is so close to her nose and to keep a eye on it, it dosent bother her but it bothers us. Not sure what to do just wait and see if it goes away. Any suggestions. We really do not want her to go through surgery

July 11, 2011 at 6:14 pm
(49) Robin says:

We just had our greyhound diagnosed today. He’s almost 4 years old and it appeared about a week ago on his right paw. It is red, round and is not attached to any bone. Our vet gave him a prednisone shot, to be sure he leaves it alone if it starts to itch, and antibiotics for a week to prevent infection. He says it will dissipate in about 3 weeks. Like I’ve read elsewhere, if your dog has a tumor this is the one to have!

August 15, 2011 at 4:41 am
(50) Pam Murphy says:

I have a 14month golden retriever. A histiocytoma appeared suddenly on the inside of his stifle. My vet confirmed this and we decided to wait a while and see if it disappeared on its own. It is definitely disappearing now after about 4 weeks and has gone from being a button-sized bright red lump to a small raised flakey area. Hopefully it will disappeared completely and he will not get anymore.

August 17, 2011 at 7:36 pm
(51) just an Elf says:

Wow, very helpful, I was playing with the dogs just now, stopped and looked at the nickel sized reg bump, she didn’t seem too bothered when I grabbed her leg and looked at it, shes been running, and playing with the other dog for an hour or so, didn’t seem to get to her one bit, thank you for the help and the correct terminology so I can tell my beautiful and amazing wife when she gets home

September 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm
(52) Alma says:

A little over a month ago I noticed a small red bump on my dog’s leg (the area directly above the paw). I didn’t think much of it until I noticed the bump getting larger (to about the size of a quarter). Since it still did not seem to bother my dog I decided to just keep an eye out for it. It wasn’t until aout 2 weeks ago when the bump started cracking and bleeding a bit (I am assuming because my dog is very active and the friction caused by frequent activity) and then it started to look very infected. After trying to keep it clean I decided it was time to go to the vet. I was told that it was probably a mastocytoma and that it should be removed immediately. So $500 dollars later I have a little more piece of mind. More so today, as I just received news from the vet saying it was actually a benign histiocytoma! Here’s to a speedy recovery for my dog!

October 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm
(53) Jonty says:

My little toy poodle aged three has just developed one of these nasty lumps under her lower lid, grew in a day to the lid margin. Vet talking blood tests, biopsies, wedge resection of the eye lid, etc. We have just nursed this dog back to health from abuse, she is timid and I felt sick at the thought of her going through all of the above and so began my research and awareness of caine Histiocytoma. We have decided on antibiotics and wait and watch. Hopefully as the new Vet said, it will probably resolve in a few months. Good luck to all your furry friends.

December 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm
(54) Felecia says:

My 16 month old boston terrier male has had an eraser size red hairless bump near his eye for about 2 or 3 months. Took to one vet they said biopsy (150) or better just remove it for 900-1100!! Took to get a second opinion and the vet told me it was a histiocytoma and usually goes away on its own. But its been not even a month and has grown larger and Im worried with it being close to his eye they will have problems removing it if it keeps growing. Does anyone know how large they can get??? I am going monday to have a biopsy and make sure it is benign. I will let you know update!

March 14, 2012 at 11:56 am
(55) Biene says:

I took my 7 year old black lab to the vet, since he seemed to have an ear infection. During the exam the vet noticed a “bump” the size of a pinto bean. He told me it may be cancer. He gave him a cortisone shot and gave me ear drops to apply twice a day. This was 8 days ago. The ear now seems less swollen, but the “bump” is still there, looking very shiny, red with black crust forming on the top. Does anyone have something like this happen to his/her dog?

May 23, 2012 at 9:06 am
(56) Cyndie says:

Does anyone know how long they take to heal? My vet said 6 months! My Rottweiler has one on top of his left paw. It seems to look better, but is still limping. She gave him an antibiotic for 10 days, but his limping is still there. I was also told I could continue to walk him, but he comes home limping worse. I’m getting a second opinion. She did do an aspiration & said it was an infection, but why is he still limping? It’s been 3 weeks.

December 21, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(57) Jane Francis says:

Any of you experience a bad smell with these histiocytomas? or weeping from the red spot? please tell.

December 22, 2012 at 7:17 am
(58) Kelly says:

Yes my pit bull has one now its huge and above his eye and it smells. But I’m thinking from the blood and him ripping it open. It’s horrible

May 12, 2013 at 8:11 pm
(59) Kristy says:

I found a big red bump on my 8 year old shih tzu dog. I freaked out n went on line and found this. I feel so much better after reading these. When I found it I immediately poked it with a needle and lot of blood came out. Hope it gets smaller. I’m going to wait a while and see what happens before I take him to the vet. My dog didn’t move at all when I squeezed on it. So it must not hurt him. Thank you for all your post. That helped me out a lot.

July 7, 2013 at 6:31 pm
(60) Leah says:

My 2 year old Pit Bull just had two removed from her back after one became infected from her licking and chewing at it. She also had two others removed from her vulva last year. She has severe food allergies as well. Anyone else have a dog with severe food allergies and a history of histiocytomas?

July 11, 2013 at 10:49 am
(61) Danielle says:

My 6month old Great Dane has one on her elbow. it was smaller and doubled in size in a month. I called the vet for an appointment cause she is starting to scratch and bit at it which is irritating it and causing it to bleed.

August 4, 2013 at 2:36 pm
(62) Mary says:

My Lhasa Apso is 13 years old and has had about 5 histiocytomas’ for over 5 years. Some do go away some do not. They are on his ear, back, and legs. The vet sees him occasionally for other things and says nothing to worry about. They bother the humans, not the animal. A friend just had 8 removed from her Shih Tzu, because they bother the ownwe, not the dog. But since her dog was having its teeth cleaned and would be under sedation anyway the vet said he would do them. Doing multiple at a time was cheaper ($500), and also put the dog at less risk of unnecessary surgery. So yes, always consult a vet, but if they don’t bother the dog get over it.

September 3, 2013 at 11:25 am
(63) Linda Lyman says:

My boxer had a lump on the top of her right paw. It was about the size of a nickel, felt fatty and wasn’t attached to any bone. since my dogs are so loved and important to our family I took her to the vet and he basically shrugged his shoulders and said not to worry said the name of it (can’t remember,this was 2 years ago) and to leave it alone and it would go away. Sure enough within 5 days it was gone. I was so happy but also mad at myself for not just watching it for a week or so because I would have saved $70.00. Peace of mind is worth the money, but with us having financial problems I wished I had not panicked. Now, we have a just turned 4 boxer and I just noticed the same kind of lump. First response, panic……I went to the internet and read this post and remembered that this is the same. I am praying it goes away in 10 days.

December 12, 2013 at 10:28 pm
(64) Lupe says:

My Boxer Terrier is 3 an half yrs old and we noticed a small red bump on his front leg a week before we left for vacation. When we got back it had grown double in size. Talked with a friend who also owns a Boxer & he said his dog had one too, but it just went alway one day. It’s been a month an half now and has grown to the size of a golf ball. Money is a little tight right now with Christmas right around the corner. The kids & I were getting very concerned until I read all of these comments! :) I still plan on taking him to the vet just to be sure it’s not cancerous, but now I feel better making him wait a little bit longer And I have a better understanding of what it could be. I think I’ll see if my dog will wear a long sleeve t-shirt, so he’ll stop licking & trying to naw at it. Thank you for taking the time to post your dog health issues & give feedback on the prices the vets will charge if surgery is needed.