1. Home

REBMCK asks: "Can dogs get poison ivy on their skin? I know if they are running through a wet field with poison ivy and someone pets the dog while wet that there is a chance of transfering it onto humans. But can dogs actually develop an itchy rash from it?"

Share your story: My Pet's Encounter With Poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac

Learn More: Pets and Poison Ivy (Oak and Sumac)

Comments

May 17, 2007 at 3:36 pm
(1) Edy says:

They can definitely get a rash from poison ivy. My poor puppy has an awful case of it right now, but is responding very well to hydrocortisone lotion. (Doesn’t like it to begin with, but it seems to soothe the itching very much!) I’m about to give him a warm, baking soda bath too.

June 2, 2007 at 10:48 am
(2) Noelle says:

Is it safe to put hydrocortisone lotion on my miniature schnauzer? I can imagine him licking it off and possibly getting sick.

June 20, 2007 at 8:12 pm
(3) Tommy says:

My step dad said he got poison ivy from the dog and I thought he was just being crazy. My dog now is scratching and biting all the time… My mom is going to give him benadryl but i want to know if that is the best choice?

August 22, 2007 at 8:24 am
(4) Kate says:

Tommy – please be aware that 80% of dog itches/scratching is due to the food you are feeding him/her.

Unless you see a rash then it’s not going to be poison ivy.

June 17, 2008 at 1:45 pm
(5) Rene says:

I took both my dogs to the river during a recent heat wave and we had to pass trough some poison ivy to get there. Within a day they both developed minor rashes (bumps) on their chins, and one got really itchy and red outer ears. They scratched so much that they developed sore patches, especially the one with the ear problem, he scratched the whole side of his face raw. I wondered if this was from the poison ivy, since they both got it on their chin. Benadryl helps (yes, you can give it to dogs), it also makes them drowsy and they scratch less.

June 23, 2008 at 11:07 am
(6) Brad says:

Kate, 80% of scratching is NOT due to a food reaction. The majority of scratching in dogs and cats is flea allergy dermatitis. At any rate, if your dog/cat is scratching you should see your vet because this can be a sign of flea allergy dermatitis, food allergies, contact dermatitis from environmental allergens, scabies, demodex, otitis and any of these have the potential to lead to secondary bacterial infections if the scratching is not resolved.
Dogs/cats can get poison ivy, but not as easily as humans because their coat helps keep the oil away from their skin. Certainly if you pet a dog/cat that has been running through poison ivy, you have the potential to transfer the oil from their fur to your skin.

July 6, 2008 at 11:24 am
(7) Jenna says:

What about cats? Can they get it? My poor maine coon cat, Tobey, is scratching, and we don’t know what the cause is. He is going nuts and just trying to ignore it. There is poison ivy right across the street, and he went in it, but is that it? Or a bug? Mites maybe, which he had once before? Fleas? A Virus? Infection? Please help me and contact me at jnhart@optonline.net. Thank you.

May 29, 2009 at 7:18 pm
(8) pammie says:

we have two corgie’s who have given us poisen ivy many times, but now I’m pretty sure they have it on their tummy. very red,bumpy, and they are itchy. No flea’s or ticks, we use frontline and interceptor. we will try small doze of benadryl. pam

June 25, 2009 at 6:38 pm
(9) Kim says:

I have to say that I have gotten Poison Ivy from our 8 week old puppy because we play all the time. The puppy (Blaze) has the same ichy red rash that I have. So we are look alike patients for now. It will be Benadryl and warm oatmeal baths for a little while. You could say I really love my family which include the four legged one as well. lol.

May 18, 2010 at 9:46 pm
(10) Louiie says:

my teacup chihuahua has been really itchy lately. and now he has a growing rash on his chest. im thinking its poisen ivy because i always get poisen ivy from my yard. im not sure what to do. hes so tiny im afraid of allergic reactions. what should i do?

May 26, 2010 at 12:54 pm
(11) Nita B says:

I think my new puppy has poisen ivy and has given it to me. Can anyone tell me how to treat my new puppy. I’m not worried about myself as long as I can cure her.

June 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm
(12) maria says:

we thought our dog had poison ivy because hes been running through it alot and my husband had it! but we went to the vets and they said dogs cant get poison ivy , so we didnt believe them so we called another vet and asked and they said the same thing!that dogs cant get poison ivy!We have an apointment at 4 pm today to see what it could be and then recieve a big bill at the end!

July 12, 2010 at 4:35 pm
(13) Teresa says:

So what information did you guys end up paying a fortune for? My dog is miserable, but it now has a pattern. He really scratches and digs around 4:00 a.m. to about 10:00 a.m. and around 9:00 p.m. to 11:00p.m. I have poison ivy I was just wondering. Thank you so much

Leave a Comment


Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.