1. Home
Janet Tobiassen Crosby, DVM

HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis)

By December 11, 2003

FEISTY892 asks: "My two almost 6 month old Norfolk Terriers are both in the hospital with HGE. This is the beginning of their third day with this disorder. They are "holding their own", but not yet well. They have been raised on a raw meat, raw vegetable diet. I'd like to hear from anyone else whose puppy has experienced HGE."

Share your story
Have you experienced HGE with a pet? What were the first presenting signs and main course of treatment? Read the comments below and please consider sharing your story to help inform others of this potentially devastating disease.

Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Comments

October 22, 2006 at 11:32 am
(1) Connie says:

Just returned from the emergency vet and my 6 year old Jack Russell was diagnosed with Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE). She had a temp of 105.3 and had not been eating for 2 days, very lethargic and would not even bark (which she normally does a lot). Vet said her white cells were very low and her red cells were normal. They kept her at the Vet and on an I.V. Anyone out there experienced the same HGE with there dogs?

December 5, 2006 at 12:46 am
(2) LolaMarigolda says:

My 2.75 yr old dwarf beagle refused his evening meal on 11/28 and breakfast (and even a bite of cheese) on 11/29. I had called to get him an appointment with the vet. About 5 minutes later he puked bright red blood. The bloody stools started immediately after. Rushed him on into the vet. He went down fast. Since he is my baby, I arranged to pick him up at the close of business and take him to the local emergency clinic so he wouldn’t be left alone overnight, then take him back the next AM. We repeated this for 3 days/2 nights. Vet sent him home late 12/1 with oral antibiotics and instructions to continue to feed babyfood and Science Diet I/D. His PCV was high, tox screen was negative, and X-ray showed no foreign bodies. We go back next Monday for a follow-up. He’s feeling better, but still isn’t 100%.

February 3, 2007 at 11:38 pm
(3) JENNIFER says:

MY DOG WAS SICK TODAY TOO.. DR THINKS IT MAY BE HGE. IT STARTED OUT AS VOMITING YELLOW BILE, SMALL AMOUNTS. WHEN WE GOT TO THE VET HE VOMITED A RUSTY COLOR. DR SAID THERE WAS BLOOD IN IT, AND SHE DID A RECTAL EXAM WHERE SHE SAW A TINGE OF BLOOD. SHE GAME HIM AN UNDER THE SKIN FLUID SAC FOR THE DEHYDRATION AND A SHOT FOR THE NAUSEA AND VOMITING. SO FAR HE HASNT VOMITED, BUT DID GO TO POOP AND SQUIRTED BLOOD. I AM REALLY SCARED HE IS GOING TO DIE. PLEASE HELP!!

March 9, 2007 at 12:39 am
(4) suzie says:

My 3 yr old pembroke welsh corgi was dx w/ HGE, spent a night in the hospital w/ IV treatment, he is home eating well,dr had put him on the ID canned food, he is on Metronidozol(sp?) and anti vomiting,diarrhea,meds, he was also on a raw diet, my question is does anyone know how long is the recovery? he has spurs of energy then he is down, it has been 4 days since his dx.

May 17, 2007 at 11:04 pm
(5) Sean Mannino says:

Hi all, my 16 year old Lab mix was diagnosed with HGE today. Started out at 4:30 this morning with vomitting foamy white liquid (I thought it was Parvo and was devistated) got online to see what might be happening and didn’t find anything, so I called my local vet ER and got “Simba” in as soon as I could (6:45 am) The doc gave her the IV with two meds under the skin and sent us home with Amoxicellen (sp?) and Metro…. something or other at like 8:00 am and she’s been okay but here we are a little over 12 hours home and she vomitted due to the medication which I gave her orally and she finally got some color in the vomit (yellow) so hopefully she’ll be doing okay here in the next few hours. Vet said keep the fod away and only give ice cubes (one every couple hours) for something wet. (Simbas sitting here next to me Yuuuummmmyyyy ICE CUBES. :) ) Sorry had to do something to make myself smile! Anyhow I’ll keep posted about the goings on if that’s okay.

May 17, 2007 at 11:05 pm
(6) Sean Mannino says:

May 17, 2007 at 11:05 pm
(7) Sean Mannino says:

May 17, 2007 at 11:05 pm
(8) Sean Mannino says:

June 22, 2007 at 10:35 am
(9) zach says:

My one year old Pit-Bull just died of HGE. He was showing signs of sickness last week, so I checked symptms on the net. He had diarrhea and was vomiting bile. The next day he looked really bad so I brought him into the vet.
They put him on IV and kept him there. He didn’t respond to treatment, and he died this morning.
Very little is known of HGE, even treatment or what causes it are unknown.
If your dog has bloody stools, or is acting deressed, bring it to the vet now. I am really mad at myself that I didn’t bring “Duece” in sooner. I always hated pit-bulls, I get one and he turns out to be the best dog ever, only to die after a year.

July 14, 2007 at 10:34 am
(10) Lee says:

Never heard of this before yesterday. My toy fox terrier puppy (8months)was vomiting bile and then it turn rusty colored also had water stools with blood in it. He is now at the emergency hospital and is responding to meds and iv. I now hope he can eat and keep food down. they won’t let him come home until he is pooping and not throwing up and can keep food down. We have his brother also and he is ok for the time being. I just want to bring Chance home and want him to be ok. thanks for letting me share.

August 16, 2007 at 11:40 am
(11) kristin says:

my 1-1/2 year old mini dauchsund was diagnosed yesturday of having (hge) after an episode of throwing up all monday afternoon and night and then started with the bloody diarrhea and bloody vomit at 2 in the morning on tuesday so we had to rush him to the e.r. vet. when they got hime somewhat stabilized 4 hrs. later we then had to take him to his regular vet for treatment and they kept him tuesday night. he responded well to the treaments though. wed. morning they offered him food and he ate, and kept it down so we were able to pick him up wed. afternoon. it was so scary going through this and being 6 months pregnant did not help my stress level. i hope no one has to go thru this.

October 8, 2007 at 1:00 pm
(12) Janelle says:

My 6 year old Golden Retriever is in the hospital now with HGE. 6 days ago, she was vomiting and had bloody diarrhea. We took her to the vet that morning, only to have the vet send her home 4 hours later, with meds and ID dog food. I gave her one ice cube every hour only for her to throw it back up. I then gave her 1/4 cup diluated gatorade. Couldn’t keep that down either. During night, she became extremely worse. Took her back to hospital. Had different vet, they admitted her, did several blood tests and x-rays : all came back fine. They diagnosed her with HGE. She was on an IV and several meds. On Thursday afternoon the vet didn’t give me much hope that she would survive. It is now Monday and she’s coming home today. She is on oral meds and keeping food down. She will have to be on ID food for about 6 months. The vet said this disease is usually found in small breeds between the ages of 2-4. She has never seen a Golden have it before. She is such a big part of our family and it was so hard on “all of us” through this ordeal. I wish they could find a reason for this happening. Our dog was prayed for continuous. I truly believe prayer and love got her thru this.

November 7, 2007 at 10:09 am
(13) Denise says:

Hi my English bulldog was 2 1/2 years old. When I got home form work yesterday she couldn’t move and was having bile movement where she laid. She had thrown up but no blood and no blood in the bile. When I got her to vet she started throwing up blood and bleeding out her rectum. They told me it was probably HGE and started her on fluid and other meds. Up till then there was nothing wrong with her she was fine. That was 430 pm yesterday at 8am this morning she had died. It was so fast its hard to understand. I just keep thinking was there any signs I didn’t see or missed.

November 26, 2007 at 12:52 pm
(14) Joanne says:

Katie (min poodle) now 3 has had a few bouts of HGE since 1/1/07. The onset of each episode has had absolutely no identifiable preipitating event.

Stools have been from watery tinged with blood to entire bowel movements with black “old blood”. Old blood has a very identifiable odor. Sometimes the odor comes before the actual vomit, bloody stool etc.

Vomit to date has been bile.

1st time – she was hopitalized over night.(IVs etc). Next few times were visits to the vet. This bout started Thanksgiving Day with a little blood in stool nothing since then except last night large mucous, old blood stool (same day I started her back on a bland diet.)

Today ok..I stayed home to keep an eye on her. As you all know this starts fast.

I understand completely how frightening this can be (I am an active RN). I have been through it a couple of times and am ever vigilent all of the time of the type of stool she produces. I take action immediately. Although she has not vomited blood the possibility is there.

Every episode was preceded by not eating her AM and PM meal and then a few hours later – in the evening -vomiting bile. Next blood in stool. Her pattern is clear.

You are not over-reacting by bringing your animal in to be seen as this is an emergency. Especially in small dogs it does not take much for them to become dehydrated.

I empathize with you all..It is helpful to read what you all have been through. I have learned a lot.

January 29, 2008 at 3:14 pm
(15) Kelly says:

You should never feed a dog raw meat and vegetables. Puppies especially need a balanced diet in which they would get in puppy food. Dog foods have everything dogs need for their growth and develpment and management. It isnt smart to feed an animal raw people food or people food at all. That can cause many problems. Now that you know your dog is prone to getting HGE, it would be smart to start your puppies on puppy food and stick to one balanced diet, for your puupy’s health!

July 9, 2008 at 8:04 am
(16) shelley brown says:

my miniture american eskimo was diag with hge yesterday. she had massive vomiting and diarrhea with alot of blood. this started slowly sunday night and monday morning could not keep anything down and diarrhea bad with sm amt blood. monday developed heavy vomiting and then overnight mon night massive amt of clumped blood not stool and vomiting, took to vet and red blood cell level 4xs higher than normal. under care and responding well after 6 hours of meds. VERY SCARY!!!!! WARN ALL YOUR FRIENDS WITH DOGS KEEP AN EYE ON BLOOD IN STOOL!!

July 24, 2008 at 8:05 pm
(17) Candace says:

My 4 year old Yorkie female began suffering from diarrhea and vomiting on Saturday morning. I made her some chicken & white rice and gave her Pedialite which seemed to help. She eventually stopped throwing up but still had diarrhea. By Monday evening I had run out of chicken & rice and tried to put her back on her hard and soft dog food regular diet. BAD IDEA!!! The vomiting started all over again and this time her diarrhea was very bloody. She wouldn’t eat and by Tuesday morning I was in my vets office. She was severely dehydrated and was hospitalized for 2 days on intravenous fluids, including; cerenia (for vomiting), famotidine (for diarrhea) and metronidazole (antibiotic). I just got her home today, Thursday and have decided to change her diet permanently. I have her on both Royal Canin low fat canned dog food and chicken & rice. She is on liquid antibiotics for the next 10 days. I just want to make sure this NEVER happens again and will take whatever precautions necessary. This is a very SCARY disorder and I’m hoping they will eventually learn what causes it, and make a vaccine to combat it. Our furry, four-legged family members are far to precious and when they get sick, they can’t tell us what hurts. This is a great way to keep ourselves educated and know what to look for! Thank You!

August 7, 2008 at 1:09 am
(18) Richard says:

My 4 1/2 yr old English Springer Spaniel has had vomiting and diarrhea for the last 3 days now. It started when we came back from (WARNING) Minto Brown Dog Park in Marion County Oregon (WARNING).
Phase 1: Vomiting whitish foam. Eyes white. Nose dry.
Phase 2: Vomiting Yellow, gooey. Eyes pink. Nose dry.
Phase 3: Vomiting Brown Bile, foul smelling. Eyes red. Nose wet.
Phase 4: Diarrhea. Eyes red. Nose wet.
Phase 5: Diarrhea with tinge of blood. Eyes red. Nose extremely wet.
Phase 6: Diarrhea with bloody strings and ketchup colored throughout. Eyes bright red. Nose wet.
Going to the vets in the morning no way around it until then. He walks and slow trots. No appetite, drinks very little but can’t hold it down. The county knew that there was a severe outbreak of Canine Influenza and Parvo (God knows what else their not divulging), they have done nothing to warn the general public! Isn’t this against the law? My baby may die, and either way…heads will roll! Any legal advice?

September 7, 2008 at 2:25 pm
(19) Edna Sanchez says:

My dog chase 1/2 lab 1/2 greatdane weighed 106 lbs before diognosis and 3 days of vomitting and diarrhea he was down to 90 lbs. he is on treatment now for 2 days w/ iv fluids. We don’t know what started it. Anyone out there that has this please take them immediatly to the vets.

September 16, 2008 at 4:00 pm
(20) Cathy says:

I just went through this with all 3 of my dogs. My three dogs weigh between 4.5 and 8 lbs and are all adults. At first, they all just had a little diarrhea. My dogs have access to dry food all the time so we never noticed a change in appetite. Then we noticed bloody stools. My maltese then vomited up all of the water he drank. I gave them all some Pedialyte. They all seemed tired and we thought that their low activity level was because they were just tired from the diarrhea, etc.

Another of the dogs vomited up the food they had tried to eat. Then I saw my maltese vomit up a clear liquid- it looked like saliva, but it had a rusty tinge to it. If he hadn’t vomited on a white towel, I would have never noticed the color.

All of their bowel movements had a really terrible odor to them.

Two of the dogs seemed like they were in serious distress- their activity level was rapidly declining, they would hardly move, etc. We took the two with the worst symptoms to the emergency vet. My Maltese had died by the time we got there. The other was immediately hospitalized, put on an IV, received medication, and a plasma transfusion. The vet was concerned that this second dog may not make it.

We picked her up from the emergency vet hospital the next morning and took her to our regular vet where she was admitted for the day. They continued IV treatment for 12 hours, and released her home.

The third dog was less symptomatic and was treated by our regular vet with a few injections and then was sent home with medication.

We feel very fortunate to have our two dogs, but are devastated at the loss of our Maltese.

If your dog has any amount of bloodly diarrhea, please call your vet immediately and be prepared to RUSH your pet to the hospital. The smaller your pet, the less time you have to react. This is a horrible illness that takes over fairly quickly. My maltese was only 6 years old and the only thing I can hope for is that someone else will read this and react in time to SAVE their dog’s LIFE.

You should have the numbers for your regular vet and the closest 24-hour emergency vet stored in your cell phone and placed on your refrigerator. I highly recommend doing a drive-by of the emergency vet’s office too (before you NEED to go there). I had to do my drive to the emergency room at night to a place I hadn’t been to before. I also had two very sick dogs in the car and it was very difficult to keep calm.

The two vets we spoke to are uncertain about the cause of the HGE but both felt that it was unusual for all three of my pets to fall ill at once. They suspected possible food poisoning or environmental poisoning. I am now cooking for our dogs (under our vets supervision) and supplementing with a multivitamin.

September 25, 2008 at 11:33 pm
(21) Jeannine Dyer says:

My little schnautzer Dutchlein has been vomiting for 2 days and today had terrible odor in her runny stool and I noticed alot of blood, she weighs about 9 lbs and we rushed her to the emergency to find that she has HGE. They are keeping her overnight and giving her an IV and treating with heavy antibiotics.

I was told by the emergency doctor to pick her up in the am and rush her to my vet in the morning.

Does anyone out there who has had experience with this know how quickly this can be cleared up? I am worried sick.

September 25, 2008 at 11:36 pm
(22) Jeannine Dyer says:

Can anyone tell me how much all the treatments cost. She may have to have a blood transfusion.

September 28, 2008 at 1:56 pm
(23) catherine says:

My dog, Sam, caught severe gastroenteritis from my other dogs, who caught it from my son’s dog, who I brought home after the animal shelter had her. Sam did not get well. His temp soared, and we kept treating him at the vet where I worked. After three days, he was vomiting numerous times a day and having diahrrea. The third night he crashed, blood was pouring out of his rear. I called the lady I worked for, and she told me to get him to Texas A&M small animal clinic. I believe he would not have made it if I were not so close to the university. He was going into DIC, liver and kidney failure and was severely dehydrated, and blood testing confirmed that he also had acute pancreatitis. After assessing him throughout the night, they called us in and told us he had less than a 20% chance for survival. They gave us his harness and collar and we cried and prayed. I can honestly say that without the prayers and the excellent care from the vet clinic staff, Sam would not have made it.

The reason I am sharing this is that if your dog has gastroenteritis and it does not respond to treatment in a day or so, and what I mean by this is if you do not see some improvement…get a vet that gives a darn enough to check for other things. The lady I worked for had me give him shots of Banamine for fever and pain. Banamine is an anti-inflammitory drug that is used in horses. I questioned her because we had drugs that were actually approved for dogs to treat the fever and pain. She told me that it was alright. Let me tell you, that in his weakened state, it was not alright! The vet school told me that they were pretty confident that the banamine is what caused his renal failure.

He was there for several days, and miraculously, he recovered. It makes me cry to think just how close we came to losing our best bud!

If it would be hard for you to come up with the financing for care in such an emergency, I would suggest getting pet insurance. Get references, and check them out before you spend your money on a policy.

Finally, if your vet acts like you are a bother, and they are indifferent to your pet’s needs, then find a vet who gives a darn! I do not necessarily need a mushy, talkative vet, but someone who cares enough to get the job done right.

We are dealing with our other dog, Grizzy, and his recent diagnoses with cancer. I am trying everything since they say he will not recover.

Most of all, we are responsible for our health, and our beloved pets. Do your research, and don’t give up:)

October 6, 2008 at 10:27 am
(24) Tara says:

Our puppy Brownie, 5 months old, was very sick. He was thowing clear vomit, runny poop and very little blood. This happened for 2 days. His poop had a terrible odor to it. He wouldn’t eat, and he sipped water very little.He couldn’t contol his bowels, it just came out whenever. I took him to the vet and they ran a parvo test on him. It came back negative. The vet gave him anti-vomiting meds and flagyl. Brownie died the next mornign after taking some of those meds. After reading some of these inquires I’m not sure what he had.

October 18, 2008 at 5:55 pm
(25) debbie james says:

My 6 year old beagle, Buddy, my baby, was fine Monday night and woke me at 4am with throw up and bloody diahrea, I mean pure blood! I took him to the vet, they diagnosed him with HGE, put him on IV’s. They said he should be fine, and he died the next morning. I can’t stop crying and thinking I could have done something, at least been there with him.

October 27, 2008 at 5:37 pm
(26) Becca says:

My 15 year old beagle/basset mix has always been very healthy–just the occassional tummy upset and back problems from having a weird body build. Last Tuesday (10/21/8) my Dad gave her a different food because she was turning her nose up at the usual (she does this every year or so). Shellbee’s been an ‘only’ dog in the 10 years that we’ve had her.

Wednesday (10/22/08)we brought home a rescue dog (Daisy) that we got through my sister-in-law’s vet. This dog is in good health, no problems except the usual adjustment. Shellbee seemed fine.

Saturday (10/25/08), my brother and his wife from Charleston came to visit with thier dog, Zeke. Zeke has a congenital bowel condition that he is treated for.

Sunday afternoon, Shellbee quit eating and wasn’t even interested in the other dogs. We all just figured it was stress–first a new ‘sister’ and then her exuberent ‘cousin’ coming to visit. She did not vomit, but she did eat some grass. Mom noticed later in the evening that she was trying to poop, but couldn’t.

Sunday night (last night) she was up all night panting and with her heart racing according to my folks. When this morning came, we had 4 accidents in the house. The first was in the hall and it looked like one of the dogs had thrown up a partially digested treat. My Dad cleaned up the other three in his room. I saw the rags in the trash and realized it was blood. I walked outside as she was pooping. What Mom (who’s eyesight is not so hot)thought was straining to poop was actually bloody mucus squirting out.

We immediately went to the vet and he diagnosed her with hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). He gave her a shot of Cerenia and some Pro Pectalin for 7 days to replace the good bacteria in her system.

We get home and after a couple hours, Shellbee wants out. She went three times in 20 minutes, about a tablespoon of bloody jelly. I try to give her one of the Pectalins and she doesn’t want her favorite treat (pill pockets for her arthritis pills). I noticed her gums were a little pale and the inside of her mouth felt cool. Called the vet back and he said that the bloody diarrhea should stop within 48 hours. Since she hasn’t been vomiting and is able to hold water down (which is why she got the Cerenia shot), we are able to keep her home. She will have to go to the hospital for IV fluids if:
1) She starts vomiting or quits drinking water (so far today, she’s drank an entire bowl of water).
2) The bloody diarrhea doesn’t resolve by Wednesday morning.
3) She isn’t getting up and going out on her own.
4) If we are just totally freaking out.

She’s definite weaker than usual (Shellbee’s a little old and has arthritis, so she’s normally slow, but today she’s a dog that Bill Slowsky would be proud of), but she’s still getting up to go out to the bathroom.

I just pray that my old fuzzy-wuzzy-puppy-wuppy will be OK. I know she’s old, but I don’t want her to go like this.

This disorder can lead to DIC (I’ll avoid the medical terminology and just say that basically all the blood gets thick and starts to clot in the capillaries of the body–leads to QUICK death in humans and pets), so DO NOT WAIT TO GET YOUR DOG TO THE VET!!! I noticed alot of people mentioning the vomit. Shellbee never did start, but she was taken to the vet as soon as we realized that this was not the normal ‘I’m having just a little tummy ache, so I won’t eat”.

The cause? I don’t know.
1)Her food was changed and she chowed it down for 5 days. Last night is the first night she would not eat. The vet felt this was the cause.
2)Daisy causing stress? She’s pretty submissive and 11 inch tall Shellbee has been keeping 16 inch Daisy in-line for 5 days.
3)Daisy or Zeke brought something to the house? Daisy was living in a vet clinic during the day and at different employee homes at night for about 4 weeks (she was found on the side of the road). Zeke came Saturday afternoon and Shellbee started showing symptoms almost exactly 24 hours later.
4)Clostridium difficile (C. diff)? I’m a nurse and we get alot of GI stuff on the floor. I spray my clinical shoes until they are dripping with Lysol in the laundry room–but I still walk through the living room and kitchen to get there.

PLEASE DO NOT WAIT TO GET CARE FOR YOUR DOG. I just got out of school, so I know its hard to come up with money for a vet visit and easy to convince yourself that it may go away. We’ve used our vet for 25 years and while I was laid-off and in school, he worked with me on payments. I’ve also had to borrow money from family a few times. If your credit is good, many vet office’s offer a low-rate credit card that can only be used for pet care. BUT PLEASE TAKE YOUR FUZZY FREIND IN!!!

December 31, 2008 at 1:47 am
(27) Rosie says:

I just lost my dog to HGE on Dec 26. Poor little guy starting vomiting on Christmas Eve in the evening, and into the next day. On Christmas day, when we noticed blood in his vomit, we rushed him to the vet hospital. He was close to death! He had gone into shock, and his blood pressure was at 65! The vets put him on IV fluids to rehydrate him along with antibiotics and anti vomiting meds. He made it through the night, but things were not getting better for him. He started with diarrhea, and was in extreme pain, despite the morphine they were giving him. The vets ruled out any obstruction, and he was diagnosed with HGE. Unfortunately, there was no improvement, and the vets suggested we put him down, as he was suffering immensely. We were devastated. One minute he was eating, drinking and playing, the next he was dying.
We followed the vets’ advice, but it was the hardest thing we ever had to do. I miss him terribly, and keep thinking I should have done more to help him. The vets assured me that his condition deteriorated rapidly, and there was nothing more we could have done in his case. He was only 5 yrs old…in the prime of his life. All I can say is don’t ignore the signs. Even if you’re not sure, just take him in for peace of mind.

January 9, 2009 at 7:43 pm
(28) JRT Mommy says:

My 8-year-old JRT, Daisy, started the diarrhea and vomiting thing back in July 08. We took holiday to see Grandma and while visiting Daisy started to act very strange. By weekend she was in horrible shape and I woke to a room of blood. Taking Daisy to her normal vet she was put on IV fluids and meds. They told me that she had HGE. She stayed at the vet for 3 days and got to go home.
I changed her diet to Purina EN and Purina FortiFlora and she has been doing fine until December when a family member fed her crackers and the same mess happened again. Daisy went back to the vet and was given meds and sent home.
On Monday this week my brother fed Daisy “one” french-fry and she ended up with this mess again. She is home now and doing well, still a little weak but is looking much better. So I guess that I need to make it much clearer to my family that Daisy is not to have people food. I might need to post notes all over my house.
The new diet seams to do very well and Daisy likes it very much. So……. Change the diet and no people food.

January 12, 2009 at 2:55 pm
(29) Sierra'z Mom says:

My 8 year old Bichon Frise pooped in the bedroom on 1/6/09 during the night, she never does that, always wakes us to go out. The poop was black and tar-like. The next day she didn’t feel well, that afternoon she started bloody diahrea, we had snow on the ground otherwise I may not have noticed it right away. I called our ER vet hospital and took her right in. She’s been in there now for 5 nights, tried bringing her home Saturday, but she had 3 explosive blowouts and was in obvious pain. If dogs could cry tears, she would have been doing it. They keep saying she’s doing well but the diahrea doesn’t seem to be resolving very quickly. Today they said it’s the consistency of a cow-pie, where it was more like liquid before. She vomited a few times. They diagnosed HGE. I hope she can come home soon. I was very afraid she would die, won’t relax until her poop is normal and pray she never gets this again. Her poor bum is so raw, they had to shave it… All of you that have experience this with your dog’s know it can be fatal very quickly without immediate medical care. Take care all.

January 17, 2009 at 9:26 am
(30) Janie says:

My 4 yr. old jack Russell female was acting perfectly fine, playing with our Jack puppy. This was on Wed. night. It was maybe 5-10 minutes later, my husband went to the bathroom and found her collapsed on the floor, like a dish rag. Her pupils were as big as her entire eyes We blew into her nose trying to get air in her lungs. It was AWFUL!! I was so scared!

We immediately called our vet, but with it being 8:30 at night, the answering service said to call the local Emergency hospital. And that we did. We rushed her in immediately.

At first they thought she had Pymetra, but her white blood count wasn’t high enough for such a sick dog. Her temp. was only 97. They did x-rays to try and narrow things down. They ruled out pymetra and diagnosed her with HGE. She had bloody diarrhea and was vomiting. They kept her through the night on an IV for fluids and antibiotics. We picked her up at 6:30 am to take her to our daytime vet. He kept her on fluids and she responded very well. We got to pick her up at 4:00 that afternoon.

Today is Sat. and she is still not quite back to herself but much better. She has temporary signs of a happy little Jack Russell :-) . I am feeding her a bland diet that the vet recommended and giving her Cephalexin twice a day.

I hadn’t noticed any bloody diarrhea, as we have 4 dogs (3 jacks and 1 lab) and they all go to the bathroom out in our pasture, so you can’t really tell.

This stuff is NASTY!!!! If you THINK that your dog may have this, PLEASE get them in NOW! Had we waited ANY length of time, I am convinced she would have died.

As far as money, it cost us around $1000 in all. And the money thing is a whole nother issue. If I had not had my moms credit card to put these charges on at the ER, my dog would have been allowed to die. It’s ashame that some vets now base the value of your pet on the balance in your check book. Although I GREATLY appreciate their care, that’s sad to me that it happens to peoples pet on a daily basis.

January 27, 2009 at 11:18 am
(31) Adrian says:

My dog just came back yesterday from the animal clinic were he was treated for HGE during 3 days and think he is better and thats what the vet toldme but yesterday he had fever and he sleeps to much he did not eat today ,he is taking some medication still but i don’t know what to do.can someone help me please???

January 27, 2009 at 4:29 pm
(32) Danielle says:

Hi Adrian,

My dog was diagnosed with the same thing Saturday night. Had an overnight stay at the e-vet and came home yesterday afternoon. Is your dog throwing up again or does it have diarrhea still? My dog stopped throwing up and is eating again…although I haven’t noticed him drinking any water. He still has a touch of dark diarrhea, although he is on Metronidazole. Does anyone know if the slight diarrhea is okay? It is not much at all, like literally a teaspoon, but it is pretty dark.

February 5, 2009 at 7:26 am
(33) April Lister says:

I own two Malteese dogs. Both of them share the same parrents. My three yearold male is in perfect health. My two year old female, however, had already had her bout with HGE last year. I wanted to stress to people how serious this can be. He nearly died. By the time I was able to get her into a vet, She had become so dehydrated that her blood had thickened severely. NOW, here it is almost, if not, a year later and last night, she started showin the signs again. I am scared bacause I am unemployed and have no income. Last time she spent three days in the vets and it cost me over $300.00. This is just tesemony that it can attach a dog at random and that it does come back. To who ever reads this, take this HGE seriously.

March 30, 2009 at 6:14 pm
(34) Bob says:

I had a beautiful black Lab called Maxine who was just coming up to 7yrs.
Always full of beans and was not just my best friend, she was my sole mate and I loved her to bits.
On that Friday night she full of her usel bubbly self when I went to bed.
When I woke that horrible Saturday morning she wasn’t by my door as she always was.
I came down stairs to find her sat in the corner of the room looking very sorry for herself.
At first I thought she had a bad tummy as she had messed in the room and she’s never done that before.
It was then I noticed blood in her stools and knew right away something very bad was wrong with her.
I called the vet on there emergency number and they said I had a choose of either getting her to them for an appointment made for that morning ( in 2 hours time)
then they couldn’t get to us until 4 hours later !!
Then I had no choose as I sat feeling useless and had to watch Maxine slowly die of HGE.

I’ve been making a complaint agint the vets for not coming out on there so called emergency services.
At the time I couldn’t move her in fear I would only make her worse.
But it was later I learnt that you can use a blanket as a stretcher (please, please remember this)
Its taken some time to try and work out what had happened to her but its looks like a condition called
Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE) for short.
Please look this up and remember the signs to look for.
If you get urgent treatment your dog can survive this.
Its too late for Maxine but I at least hope writing this may help someone to not feel as hurt as I do now.

If anyone would like to see Maxine Ive made a video of her on youtube to keep her memory alive.

April 1, 2009 at 5:03 pm
(35) Kimberly W Of Branson Missouri says:

Hello everyone I have a little mixed breed named Clyde he weighs 4lbs 3oz he is a wonderful pet he loves my toddler and baby and plays with them he gives us so much happiness. One morning I got up and my mother in law said Clyde was pooping everywhere and I went to clean it up and found it was blood. This was on a Monday and my husband did not get his unemployment on his credit card until Tuesday so needless to say I called every vet in Branson finally one recommended me to call a vet in Ozark Missouri and I did they had emergency service and I told them I was going to stay up with him all night and keep him alive and do the best I could until Tuesday evening around six when the money came in and I would call them and I wanted them there immediately no questions asked I would pay whatever the fee was I did not care and the nice woman and the nice owner or one of the owner’s told me I could go ahead and bring him in and he would take care of him and release him to me tuesday at 4 in the evening and I could leave him my card number and he would have his office run it first thing Wednesday morning I had cried and yelled at vet receptionists all day trying to get some help so after I fell to my knees and thanked god for this chance to save my friend I scooped him and my kids up and off we went on a thirty minute drive we get there they get him right back and the dr and nurse come right in and he does a parvo test which is negative thank god and says it is HGE because he was not eating or drinking and he was pooping large amounts of blood they kept him overnight and the next day he is eating and drinking they gave him an IV with antibiotics in it and fluids and watched him for 24 hours and sent him home with special Science Diet food and antibiotics and nausea medication the total for all of this about $200.00 WOW that was alot but he has fully recovered and now we have a relationship with this vet and if we ever need anything emergency for Clyde he trusts and will help us he is happy and healthy I take good care of him he has been fixed and had his shots and he gets frontline for fleas and worm pills every month and fresh food and water every day and lots of love I do the best I can but I understand that some people just do not have the money and are not as lucky as I am I just happened to call when one of two people that could approve Clyde’s treatment without payment was there and helped us but I did have to tell the vet please keep it around $170.00 because we have bills to pay to which is sad but true we have two buts to diaper and four mouths to feed five including Clyde on unemployment but everything worked out for us I hope that this helps someone somewhere please do not give up keep calling keep fighting for your furry companion I did and in this case the little person won the big fight against society.

April 10, 2009 at 6:46 pm
(36) Sam says:

On Monday morning, I noticed some blood in my 2 and 1/2 English Bulldog’s stool. Since he otherwise seemed ok, I simply took the stool to the vet for testing. On Tuesday morning he seemed generally fine. I fed him, then I took a shower. When I came out of the shower I noticed he didn’t look so good. He ambled over to me and put his head on my knee. His tongue looked very white and pasty. I grabbed his leash to take him out, thinking he may just have to poop really bad, but he started to poop in the kitchen. I got him outside and he started with the bloody diarrhea. He looked really sick. When he got back in side he started to vomit.

I was heading to a business meeting, but was lucky a neighbor was available to take him to the vet for me. The vet diagnosed it as HGE and said since he was so dehydrated he had to spend an over night at a hospital. Later I brought him in where he was treated over night. The vet said he is doing better and he is home now. Though he still seems a little tired, and it’s a two days after his return from the hospital.

I was really scared he was going to die. But am very relieved he is doing ok now. I just hope he continues to improve and never experiences this again. I understand that 10 to 15% of dogs have relapses at some point.

May 23, 2009 at 2:22 am
(37) staceylynn says:

MY 2 YEAR OLD SHIHTZU WAS DIAGNOSED WITH (HGE) ON WEDNESDAY I CAME IN LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND NOTICED SHE HAD DIARHEA THAT WAS ABOUT 11:00 MONDAY NIGHT, SHE BEGAN THROWING UP AT ABOUT 3:30 TUESDAY MORNING SO MY HUSBAND AND I HAD DECIDED TO WAIT UNTIL MORNING AND CALL OUR VET. I HAD NOTICED THAT SHE HADNT BEEN EATING REGULARY BUT I HAD WENT TO WALMART ON MONDAY AND PICKED UP THE WRONG DOG FOOD THINKING NOTHING OF IT AT THE TIME I JUST DECIDED TO LET HER TRY AND IF SHE WOULD EAT JUST LET HER FINISH THE SMALL BAG I HAD BOUGHT, I THOUGHT THAT SHE JUST DIDNT LIKE THE BRAMD OF DOG FOOD! WE BROUGHT HER ON INTO THE VET @ 11:00 ON TUESDAY, THE VET. RAN EVERY TEST THAT SHE COULD POSSIABLY THINK OF AT THE TIME, TREATED HER WITH ANTIBIOTICS AND SENT US HOME, WEDNESDAY MORNING I WOKE UP AND FOULD BLOODY DIARREA, I PANICKED I BROUGHT HER BACK TO THE VET, THE ADMITTED HER AND STARTED IV FLUIDS TO KEEP HER FROM DEHIDRATING, THE STARTED AN EXPLORATORY SURGERY AT 2:00 THAT EVENING TO SEE IF MAYBE SHE HAD AT SOMETHING THAT MIGHT HAVE CAUSED ABLOCKAGE TO HER INTESTINES, NO BLOCKAGE WHAT THEY DID FIND WAS AN INFLAMED PANCREAS WHICH IS KNOWN AS PANCREATITUS, AND DIAGNOSED HER WITH (HGE)! SHE HAS NOW BEEN IN THE VET. FOR 3 DAYS, I MISS HER SO MUCH, I AM SO WORRIED SHE ONLY WEIGHDS 6 POUNDS SHE IS VERY SMALL ANYWAYS SHE DOESNT NEED TO LOSE ANYMORE WEIGHT!HOPEFULLY SHE WILL BE RECOVERED BY MONDAY AND SHE CAN COME HOME, WE MISS YOU ZOECLAIRE AND HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON! PLEASE DONT WAIT TO HAVE YOUR DOG TREATED IF YOU START HAVING PROBLEMS BRING THEM IMMEDIATLY TO THE VET, THEY CAN GO DOWN REALLY FAST!

June 6, 2009 at 7:09 pm
(38) Charlotte says:

I have a seven and a half pound chihuahua. On Wed. at 4:30 am he woke us up with shaking and panting. Before we had a chance to get dressed and take him out, he had diarrhea on the bed. It was like brown water with a few pieces of poop mixed in, and it smelled extremely foul. Wed., Thurs., and Fri. he didn’t eat much, but he always took his treat in the morning and at night. On Saturday morning at around 3:30 he woke us up again with the shaking and the panting. We took him out and his poop started out solid and the turned soft, and then runny. At 7:30 am, he pooped in the bed again, and this time it was clear liquid. It also smelled extremely foul. I took him to the vet’s office and they did a CBC and a BMP. The vet said his hematocrit was double what it should be, and she diagnosed him with HGE. She said that HGE is linked to stress, and also to foods that are ingested. My husband feeds our dogs bites of table food all the time. Also, on Monday, the day before this all started, we began locking all our dogs up in our wet bar while we are at work. Who knows what caused it, but just because your dog doesn’t have blood, don’t ignore the problem. It still could be HGE! My dog had to stay at the vet and he will be getting IV fluids for the next two days. I really hope he recovers. The vet said he had a good chance because I brought him in before the blood started.

July 20, 2009 at 1:32 pm
(39) Tracy says:

My 7 month old English Setter was diagnosed with HGE this past weekend. He went from bad to worse in a matter of hours. Took him to the emergency clinic where they x rayed, ultrasounded, blood tests, etc. Poor little guy was SO sick. Making a full recovery – thank God – Science Diet I/D, Flagyl and Pepcid. I am thinking it was as a result of the Rawhide bones that he loves so much. Has anyone else had their dogs on Rawhide prior to this happening ?